Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-18-2018, 01:43 PM   #1
sal11585

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 2ss Nightfall Gray
Opinion on wheels

So I am scheduled for a paint correction, ceramic coating and to have my Oem wheels powder coated gloss black. I wanted to get MMR zl1 replica's but I feel like my OEM wheels will look really good and similar in gloss back, just not as wide. Also, the tires on my OEMs are like new too. It's going to cost $800 to powder coat them gloss black. I wish I could see how they look on my car first before I do it. Do you guys think its a waste to spend $800 to powder coat them? And maybe I should just go with the MMR replicas.
sal11585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 02:04 PM   #2
PK Auto Design

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet SS 1LE
$800 for powder WTF !

Sorry man but thats insane

$400 to $500 is tops for powder in gloss black on a set of wheels.
PK Auto Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 02:07 PM   #3
Tyl3r

Drives: Camaro 2LT
Where in NY are you located? You can get a used set for around that price. Sell OEM, buy what you want.
Tyl3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 02:30 PM   #4
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyl3r View Post
Sell OEM, buy what you want.
+1
DaveC113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 03:12 PM   #5
sal11585

In in the queens/long island border Tyler. And Pk auto design, I agree, I thought that was insane also. I honestly thought it was going to be $400 to $500 tops. Its just gloss black not like I want two-tone or something custom. When I had my 350z 12 years ago, I think I paid $425. I was wondering did prices skyrocket or something. Detail design in Mineola on long island, wanted 1100 to powder coat my wheels and 1600 to powder coat my calipers!!!!. I was like wow for that price I would def just buy wheels and upgrade to the zl1 6 piston brakes which come red already
Old 09-18-2018, 03:14 PM   #6
Tyl3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by sal11585 View Post
In in the queens/long island border Tyler. And Pk auto design, I agree, I thought that was insane also. I honestly thought it was going to be $400 to $500 tops. Its just gloss black not like I want two-tone or something custom. When I had my 350z 12 years ago, I think I paid $425. I was wondering did prices skyrocket or something. Detail design in Mineola on long island, wanted 1100 to powder coat my wheels and 1600 to powder coat my calipers!!!!. I was like wow for that price I would def just buy wheels and upgrade to the zl1 6 piston brakes which come red already

I have OEM 20" gloss black w/ red outline wheels from my 2LT at 3K miles. LMK, if you're interested.

I reached out to Detail Design in Mineola for calipers and was given the same quote as you for calipers. LOL
Old 09-18-2018, 03:29 PM   #7
sal11585

Yeah, detailing dynamics prices are insane! But the picture is the stock wheels that I have are yours the same style in black? Not looking for the standard ones. I actually like the stock wheels a lot but they would look so much better in gloss black
Old 09-18-2018, 03:34 PM   #8
Tyl3r

Quote:

Yeah, detailing dynamics prices are insane! But the picture is the stock wheels that I have are yours the same style in black? Not looking for the standard ones. I actually like the stock wheels a lot but they would look so much better in gloss black

Old 09-18-2018, 03:34 PM   #9
Carlos_MRRWheelsInc

Drives: camaro
If you want to see what it looks like before powder coating just go buy a can of plastidip and give it a go.

as for your 800.00 quote price for powder coating is a fair price if this includes
them removing the tires, tpms, storing your car while the wheels are being worked on, completely stripping the wheels, prepping the wheels , coating the wheels gloss black with clear coat, re installing the TPMS, Tires , Balancing and installing back on the car and give you warranty then yes 800.00 is fair.

Many shops and I personally know a few charge about 75.00 bucks per wheel max but they never do the entire wheel, is sad , they only cover the face and inner barrels and where the tire go's is not painted at all or is left silver which means the wheels where never properly stripped down, the sad part is I see this on new wheels and brands through out the forum and social media platforms. is like painting your car red and when you open the doors is all aluminum or another color.
Carlos_MRRWheelsInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 05:11 PM   #10
sal11585

Carlos thanks for the input. The shop I am getting my detail done is the one that quoted me 800. And they are doing everything you said above, but I'm not sure if they will have a warranty. That also included ceramic coating the wheels with cquarts pro. But I may powder coat it and end up ordering wheels from you guys anyway lol. So I may just skip the powder coating and order some MRR wheels and be done with it. Do you guys install tires and tpms also? This way I can just bolt them on when they come. Anybody have a good place to get my calipers powder coated with removal and reinstall in new york? A place that charges a fair price cause 1600 is absolutely insane
Old 09-18-2018, 05:14 PM   #11
PK Auto Design

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
Carlos thanks for the input. The shop I am getting my detail done is the one that quoted me 800. And they are doing everything you said above, but I'm not sure if they will have a warranty. That also included ceramic coating the wheels with cquarts pro. But I may powder coat it and end up ordering wheels from you guys anyway lol. So I may just skip the powder coating and order some MRR wheels and be done with it. Do you guys install tires and tpms also? This way i can just bolt them on when they come
Powered and ceramic coating mount and balance sounds fair at 800

For wheel and tire packages we normally assist them with members here on the board.
PK Auto Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 05:32 PM   #12
Carlos_MRRWheelsInc

Drives: camaro
Quote:
Carlos thanks for the input. The shop I am getting my detail done is the one that quoted me 800. And they are doing everything you said above, but I'm not sure if they will have a warranty. That also included ceramic coating the wheels with cquarts pro. But I may powder coat it and end up ordering wheels from you guys anyway lol. So I may just skip the powder coating and order some MRR wheels and be done with it. Do you guys install tires and tpms also? This way I can just bolt them on when they come. Anybody have a good place to get my calipers powder coated with removal and reinstall in new york? A place that charges a fair price cause 1600 is absolutely insane
Paul at PK auto is one of out authorized dealers and can get you a great quote on our product/ he can set it all up that way it arrives ready for you to just bolt on in your garage.

the good thing about this is you will be able to keep your stocks intact which is great for winter season and also for resell value if that where to come up in the future.
Carlos_MRRWheelsInc is offline   Reply With Quote