The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 07-25-2014, 08:12 AM   #1
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Solar Flares (MCE)

So, I am pretty sure a few years ago, I did a post about solar flares, and the potential catastrophic effect it could have on the earth. Essentially, it's one of the bigger fears NASA has, as far as I know.

These events have occurred in the past, and will occur again. Back in the 1859, there were telegraph wires that caused buildings to catch fire during one of these events.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_storm_of_1859

In the 1989, Quebec had power outages because of one of these events.

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/fea...l#.U9JVTvldV8E

And, apparently in 2013, we were 1 week from going back into the dark ages as a huge storm just missed us.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...two-years-ago/

The problem is that we don't have the infrastructure to replace the larger transformers. Those are made overseas. It would be at least 5 years becore we could even begin to replace the power grids we currently have. And that's just the tip of the iceburg, considering how wired we are these days.

This is one of the main reasons I think we are failing in the space program. All our eggs in one basket (Earth) is a sure fire way to end the human species.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:18 AM   #2
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
It is a train wreck waiting to happen. Hope for the best but it is a real good idea to be prepared for the worst.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:00 AM   #3
DesertCamaro

Drives: Fast
I couldn't imagine living in Phoenix without A/C (it has been 116 the past two days). We have become so dependant and you're absolutely right.

Like the saying goes, most people are two paychecks away from being homeless and I think the entire world has adopted this mentality. Look forward folks.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:05 AM   #4
slakjak1215

Drives: 2014 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertCamaro View Post
I couldn't imagine living in Phoenix without A/C (it has been 116 the past two days). We have become so dependant and you're absolutely right.

Like the saying goes, most people are two paychecks away from being homeless and I think the entire world has adopted this mentality. Look forward folks.
This is the reason why people out there should start bulldozing their homes and building underground...much cooler under there.