The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Ask the Camaro Team

View Poll Results: Ask Al Poll #6
Chevy Performance Parts 1LE Suspension Kit Questions 29 80.56%
Is the 3.6L CAI + ECM flash offered for 2018 models like it is for 2016 & 2017? 0 0%
Is Stealth exhaust mode damaging at the track? 7 19.44%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-10-2018, 10:34 AM   #1
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Question Aug 2018 - Ask Al Poll #6

Here's the next Poll

1) Chevy Performance Parts 1LE Suspension Kit Questions

2) Is the 3.6L CAI + ECM flash offered for 2018 models like it is for 2016 & 2017?

3) Is Stealth exhaust mode damaging at the track?
Old 08-26-2018, 11:49 AM   #2
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quiet voters ...
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 11:50 AM   #3
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Quiet voters ...
Did you just bump a sticky
Old 08-26-2018, 12:01 PM   #4
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
Yawn.

ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 12:15 PM   #5
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetres View Post
Yawn.

Yeah, I know. We need some better questions.

Problem is you guys answer most of them right off.
Old 08-26-2018, 02:26 PM   #6
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
mlee,
Thanks for including the suspension kit question in this poll! I agree the original post probably had too many subquestions, but I'd ultimately like to understand this:

1. With a goal of getting as close to an SS 1LE as possible (on a non-MRC SS car), what suspension kit and wheel/tire combination is recommended?
2. Would the SS 1LE wheel/tire combination have any interference with any of the suspension options noted above?
3. Which wheel/tire combination was each kit optimized around?

To parse it down to the bare minimum, what do you think about this wording for the question (see proposed change in bold below)?:

"Al,
I'm interested in upgrading the 1SS base suspension to be closer to the 1SS 1LE. Can we get some comparison data (lap times) and your thoughts to help make this decision, including recommendations for wheel/tire combination upgrades to work with each kit.

Kits:
1. SS lowering kit
2. SS 1LE suspension kit (with MRC cal update)
3. ZL1 1LE suspension kit (both 84352121 and 84352119)

Existing literature states:
- SS lowering/handling kit (springs/shocks-84188726) + handling kit (swaybars/front links-84242386) provides a 1.6s lap time reduction on Milford Proving Grounds Autocross course.
- ZL1 1LE combo noted above provides a 1.8s lap time reduction at Milford Proving Ground NE course on an SS."

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 07:53 PM   #7
77Z28

Drives: 2016 2SS A8, NPP, Mag ride
I voted for the suspension question with the hope that Al's answer will touch on what 2016 owners (with MRC) should use. Since it appears that the SS ILE suspension kit w/ the MRC update does not work on 2016 models.
77Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 07:36 PM   #8
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
What's the closing date on this poll? Just in case I want to leave my vote to the last minute.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 07:53 PM   #9
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
What's the closing date on this poll? Just in case I want to leave my vote to the last minute.
Friday
Old 08-29-2018, 07:59 PM   #10
travislambert

Drives: '17 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Yeah, I know. We need some better questions.

Problem is you guys answer most of them right off.
If I'm being perfectly honest, I'd say the questions aren't being answered quickly enough to motivate people to write new ones. As an example, the question that was answered this August was written last year in December.

In order to maintain participant interest I'd recommend closing polls after 2-3 days and post the next poll shortly after an answer is received. I think if we could establish a faster rhythm, questions would likely evolve to be simpler and easier/quicker for the Camaro team to answer. With our current frequency question authors will be more inclined to pack lots of detail and subquestions into each iteration.

I know we have a bit of a chicken and the egg problem, but that's my 2 cents.

2023 Camaro SS 1LE A10
2023 Camaro ZL1 1LE M6
2017 Camaro ZL1 M6
2016 Camaro SS M6 w/LT4 (Sold)
travislambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 08:40 PM   #11
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by travislambert View Post
If I'm being perfectly honest, I'd say the questions aren't being answered quickly enough to motivate people to write new ones. As an example, the question that was answered this August was written last year in December.

In order to maintain participant interest I'd recommend closing polls after 2-3 days and post the next poll shortly after an answer is received. I think if we could establish a faster rhythm, questions would likely evolve to be simpler and easier/quicker for the Camaro team to answer. With our current frequency question authors will be more inclined to pack lots of detail and subquestions into each iteration.

+1

It would also help to know how many Al and the Camaro team are willing/able to entertain per month or per quarter. The longer the artificial delay we inject on top of that, the less motivated people are to ask succinct and relevant questions.

I like this suspension question a lot, it's both interesting and potentially educational.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 03:07 PM   #12
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
Quote:
Originally Posted by travislambert View Post

Agreed. I would hate to see this forum lose traction.
Old 09-03-2018, 08:47 AM   #13
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
I'm thinking that each poll should be held open more like a week. I have no idea how often any given person visits this section, how many people are subscribed to the section, or how many people are typically viewing here at any given time, so 2 or 3 days may be too short to indicate much interest in any of the questions.

Perhaps a post noting the existence of a new 'Ask Al' poll and a hint at what the questions are (but no poll) could be posted in the General section and deleted at the close of each poll. Should probably contain some fine print about 'Ask Al' not being about solving individual owner issues or for getting hints about future products.

Norm
Old 09-03-2018, 10:21 AM   #14
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
I'm thinking that each poll should be held open more like a week. I have no idea how often any given person visits this section, how many people are subscribed to the section, or how many people are typically viewing here at any given time, so 2 or 3 days may be too short to indicate much interest in any of the questions.

Perhaps a post noting the existence of a new 'Ask Al' poll and a hint at what the questions are (but no poll) could be posted in the General section and deleted at the close of each poll. Should probably contain some fine print about 'Ask Al' not being about solving individual owner issues or for getting hints about future products.

Norm
We do leave them open at least a week. This one since Aug 24th. Good idea about a post in the general section. We thought about just putting the Ask Al section in General but I think it's in the right place. Just need to post some threads to direct folks to the polls. This one is a slam dunk for #1 but maybe a thread to drum up more questions is in order. I don't really see much there for Poll 7 right now.