Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-24-2019, 05:59 PM   #1
excoelis

Drives: 2010
Borla Atak Exhaust

I have seen lots of videos, read reviews but how many guys here have put Borla Atak exhaust on their 6.2 L Camaros and was there any drone? I am not finding a lot about the drone. Not worried about sound as I am pretty sure it will give me what I want its the drone I am concerned about. Please respond if it was a Cat back or axle back as well please as I am looking at possibly doing both and maybe even headers.
excoelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 07:05 AM   #2
Blueovalman

Drives: 2012 V6 Camaro 2010 Camaro SS
I had the Borla Atak catback on my previous Camaro SS and it does not drone. The Borla Atak catback sounds very nice in my opinion and has a unique growl to it. I would recommend getting the full catback and not just the axle back. Exhaust is very subjective and I would try to listen to some sounds clips or listen to someone’s Camaro that has the Bolra Atak catback exhaust. I liked the sound of the Borla Atak catback exhaust more than the Borla S Type catback exhaust even though they are both very nice exhausts.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:00 AM   #3
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by excoelis View Post
I have seen lots of videos, read reviews but how many guys here have put Borla Atak exhaust on their 6.2 L Camaros and was there any drone? I am not finding a lot about the drone. Not worried about sound as I am pretty sure it will give me what I want its the drone I am concerned about. Please respond if it was a Cat back or axle back as well please as I am looking at possibly doing both and maybe even headers.
Borla and Corsa dont drone....even with headers.My buddy has the Borla S on his Mustang great sound for sure. But I like the Corsa Xtreme that's on my car better. If you want louder get the Atak over the S.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:59 AM   #4
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
They all drone in one way or another. Even stock w/headers. It comes down to what you are willing to live with.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 09:31 AM   #5
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
I always read, that if you are planning headers, to not go with the ATAK. But if you are staying stock manifolds, the ATAK sounds the loudest without drone.

I'm getting the Borla S type put on, because I will be doing headers soon.

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 10:12 AM   #6
JoelNR
King of the Lurkers

Drives: 2010 SS/RS (Victory Red)
Before I had headers I was running muffler deletes made by a local shop and I thought it sounded pretty good. Lots of pops and minimal drone.

As long as you keep the rest of the system stock the SS doesn't ever get above what most would consider tolerable sound levels. You just have to find the tone you like.

The go:
ESS supercharger kit, Speed Engineering headers, NGK TR6IX plugs, ZR1 MAP sensor, DSS driveshaft, BMR trailing arms & toe rods.
610 HP/556 TQ. Tuned by Ryan at KC Maxx Performance.

The less important bits:
MRR 228s, SLP front lip, ZL1 grille (no bowtie), Z28 spoiler with ZL1 Addons wickerbill, RPID tow hook, Sparks Restoration SS trunk emblem, ZL1 rear & Phastek front rock guards.
JoelNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 11:19 AM   #7
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
First off, welcome to the forums!

Do you have an automatic or a manual? The autos tend to drone more than the manuals because of the AFM/DOD (4 cylinder mode). The 2 companies that advertise zero drone are Corsa and Solo. Corsa does it within their mufflers and costs quite a bit while Solo has "J pipes" that you can adjust to adjust to cancel out the drone frequencies.

I'm currently running Solo's Mach XL catback and I'm very happy. I have a cam, long tube headers, and everything and it wasn't until I installed the cam that I picked up a little drone. However, I've been playing with the J pipes and I all but have found the right range to eliminate the drone at 1,200rpms that I occasionally got. Cruising at highway speed you'd never know the car was cammed unless you were behind me. It is quiet until you get on it and then it's heaven on earth. I can listen to the radio at volume 6 and still understand what is being said.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 12:25 PM   #8
skongolf

Drives: 2011 2SS RS Black Vert
I just put a Borla S-type cat back along with Kooks headers on my 2011 SS Vert and I love the combo. It is honestly a little quieter when you are at idle but as soon as you hit the gas it had that nice deep growl. As far as drone goes, it does drone a little but I think it is the combo of the headers and it being a convertible. The drone is nothing like it was with my flowmaster set up though. As was posted before I think the DOD has a lot to do with the drone, but again it is not bad at all.
skongolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 01:33 PM   #9
sixty9fordkiller
Donkey Dick Cam Camaro

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 M6
they all drone at 1800-2000 rpms

some are barely noticeable to negligible and some are fierce. The drone rpm is 1800-2000

It all comes down to what is bearable to you. I run magnaflow race series mufflers and i need to speak loudly to my girl when she riding shotgun if im cruising at that engine speed. My solution is to drop down a gear or get the engine speed out of that range

Bone Stock
sixty9fordkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 02:38 PM   #10
SSkat

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
I have long tubes and borla s type and it drones around that 1800-2k range. I also have high flow cats. Only time it really bothers me is on the highway. At 70 its pretty annoying so i either have shift it into 5th or get up to 80. I actually want to go louder now as well.
SSkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 03:40 PM   #11
PepeLePew

Drives: 2010 2SS Coupe; 2011 2LT Vert
In my opinion, a muffler is a muffler. Of course I am an old man so I like having the ability to keep the car quiet when you want. But I put a pair of electric cutouts behind my long tubes that I can open up when I want for all the sound!!!

https://youtu.be/XIY07qtg4gA
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 04:08 PM   #12
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
I have Corsa Xtreme with longtubes with zero drone. They don't all drone that's not an accurate statement. Borla is a higher pitched sound .....drone comes from lower tones. Flowmaster for example. I'm not sure how you get drone from a Borla.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 04:36 PM   #13
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Yep. My 3” magnaflow catback has some low base drone if you call it that. I think it’s just a low base exhaust note. With my hiflows on and more volume the sound was more pronounced. Now that the hiflows are off and stock cats back on it is more quiet. And as others have said, many loud catbacks aren’t that loud without headers and such. Other then the outlaw catback
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 07:39 PM   #14
Skipp65

Drives: 03 suburban 72 gto 11 2ss 6m
I had a borla atak cat back and no drone, put headers on and deleted cats= Too loud for me! Now with headers,no cats or resonators and the stock mufflers I think it sounds awesome, no drone, not too loud light throttle, wide open everyone looks.
Skipp65 is offline   Reply With Quote