Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 05-20-2023, 06:49 PM   #1
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Glow Plate Install

Anyone install a WindRestrictor GlowPlate in a coupe? How well did the the Velcro that’s on the base hold the GlowPlate to the rear shelf just by applying the adhesion promoter to the shelf without having a loop strip to attach to?

UPDATE I didn’t trust that just the Velcro hook strip on the GlowPlate base by itself without a loop strip on the shelf to attach to would hold the GlowPlate to the shelf simply by applying adhesion promoter given the weight of the Glowplate as well as it being top heavy. My concern was that the summer sun would unglue it, so I applied a loop strip of “Industrial” Velcro to the shelf for the base strip to attach to after first cleaning the shelf with alcohol and applying the adhesion promoter. I then attached the GlowPlate base to it. Seems very solid. We’ll see how it holds up to summer sun.

Running the wires was a piece of cake. I ran the GlowPlate Led wire straight down behind the back seat thru the frame holes under the rear speaker shelf and hid them behind the passenger side trunk liner right up to underneath the rubber trunk seal into the taillight cavity so no wire shows anywhere. I then connected the glowplate wires to the RF dimmer wires using PosiLocks I then tapped the RF dimmer power wires into the taillight parking light power and ground wires using PosiTaps so the GlowPlate would come on with the parking lights, while still giving me the ability to turn them off or back on with the dimmer keypad remote. Problem was the glowplate would come on when the parking lights automatically came on …BUT would only stay on for a few seconds then turn off and wouldn’t comeback on with either the remote keypad or the dash light knob WTF? The Glowplate would come on and stay on and the RF remote worked fine if I turned the lights on manually with the dash light knob with the car off! Called Tech support and they had no answer. Only thing I could think of was maybe Canbus pulses we’re going thru the taillight wires, so I then connected the RF dimmer to the passenger sidemarker knowing sidemarkers aren’t Canbus checked, but still had the same problem, again WTF?
I called Tech support again and asked them to contact the engineer who designed the RF remote chip to ask if the chip would be affected by Canbus pulses and he confirmed the RF remote chip was sensitive to Canbus pulses! Apparently all rear harness positive wires get pulses although not all are Canbus checked.

So I then connected the RF dimmer and sidemarker to a relay switch. This way the glowplate would still turn on automatically whenever the sidemarkers come by using the sidemarker positive to power the relay switch terminal, while the RF dimmer now gets its power from the relay positive terminal which gets its power from the rear fuse box radio fuse (no Canbus pulses there) which I tapped into via an existing add-a-fuse wire used for my NPP MildtoWild controller. Problem solved

The most time consuming part was centering the GlowPlate onto the rear shelf before applying anything.

Update2 - don’t want to jinx anything but after a few days in direct 90+ degree sunlight the base is attached as solid as day one

Last edited by camguynj; 07-14-2023 at 09:23 AM.
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 11:08 PM   #2
davesnever

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Looks good!
davesnever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 05:56 PM   #3
SummitWhite11

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
I keep thinking these are for the verts but realize that you have a coupe. I googled it and its for both. Looks different. Have not seen one on the road as of yet.

ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), FRONT/REAR Carbon Fiber Wrapped Bowties, Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers, Silver Side Faded Gills, OEM Satin Camaro Fuel Door, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs, Koni Orange STR.T Struts, Z28 rear LCA's, Black Magic rear 32" sway bar, 1LE front sway bar w/ DSE end links. Evil Energy Catch Can.
SummitWhite11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 08:22 PM   #4
camguynj

I always thought they were only for verts too. Here’s a night pic. What really would be special is if the shape was a Chevy bow tie. It’s set to 50% brightness.
Attached Images

Old 06-29-2023, 08:27 PM   #5
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Man that looks cool!!
Old 06-29-2023, 08:27 PM   #6
SummitWhite11

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
Glow Plate Install

Nice, Although I agree the Bowtie would look awesome yet appropriate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), FRONT/REAR Carbon Fiber Wrapped Bowties, Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers, Silver Side Faded Gills, OEM Satin Camaro Fuel Door, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs, Koni Orange STR.T Struts, Z28 rear LCA's, Black Magic rear 32" sway bar, 1LE front sway bar w/ DSE end links. Evil Energy Catch Can.
SummitWhite11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 10:07 AM   #7
davesnever

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
I always thought they were only for verts too. Here’s a night pic. What really would be special is if the shape was a Chevy bow tie. It’s set to 50% brightness.
Looks awesome! I see they did have some other logo options but no bowtie. Did you get the RGB option?
davesnever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 11:32 AM   #8
camguynj

Thanks guys for the favorable feedback. I didn’t get the RGB color option, just the solid blue -which is just a little darker than ice blue- but I can still flash it with the remote dimmer. The Chevy bowtie etching (not the shape of the glowplate) IS available as a custom etching option.

What I mentioned in the other post was that it would be really cool if the shape of the glowplate was in the shape of a bow tie, then you could add Camaro, SS, etc as etching inside it.