Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 11-23-2017, 09:19 AM   #1
stt816

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS/RS M6
1LE Sway bar, both front and rear?

I have a 2012 SS, but changed my tire setup to square setup as seen in my signature. I hear that getting a 1LE sway bar would be better than a ZL1 sway bar. Question is, do I need both front and rear or just the rear?

Thanks
Pfadt Race Engineering 1.25" Lowering Springs| Pfadt Spec Performance Street Alignment|ZL1 Front Bumper Conversion|ZL1 20x9 Rims|Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus 275/40R20Y Square Setup||Footwell Lighting|G2 Gold Painted Brake Calipers
Stainless Power Long Tube Headers|Cold Air Inductions Cold Air Intake|VMAX CNC Spiral Ported Throttle Body|Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback| Vitesse Throttle Controller
--Jannetty Racing Enterprises Dyno Tuned|408 RWHP
stt816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 09:42 AM   #2
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
I would try a 28mm rear 1le bar but a 25mm zl1 front bar for a more neutral balance. If you still want more understeer for safety go with the 1le front bar
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 12:11 PM   #3
stt816

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS/RS M6
how would it be with a stock 2012 ss front bar? Not entirely sure why I would go with a zl1 front, I'm a little confused
Pfadt Race Engineering 1.25" Lowering Springs| Pfadt Spec Performance Street Alignment|ZL1 Front Bumper Conversion|ZL1 20x9 Rims|Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus 275/40R20Y Square Setup||Footwell Lighting|G2 Gold Painted Brake Calipers
Stainless Power Long Tube Headers|Cold Air Inductions Cold Air Intake|VMAX CNC Spiral Ported Throttle Body|Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback| Vitesse Throttle Controller
--Jannetty Racing Enterprises Dyno Tuned|408 RWHP
stt816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 07:52 PM   #4
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
I'm pretty sure if you go 1LE rear and SS front you'll be good, JPSS gave me that advice a few years ago basically 5mm between the two is best.
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 08:39 PM   #5
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
I started with the 1LE bar in the back. I now have both f/r. On the track I was understeering a lot with the 1LE bar in the front added (and killing the tires) until I maxed camber to -2 deg. It is also hard to install the 1LE bar in the front without some major gymnastics, but can be done. If I did it again, probably the 25mm ZL1 bar would be a better choice.

The big change is with the 1LE bar in the back, which will flatten out your cornering. Then see what you think after a few track weekends. Next I would add the 1LE toe links. If you just add the rear bar keep in mind the car will rotate easier so give yourself time to get used to it.
Old 11-24-2017, 03:17 PM   #6
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Go visit JPSSonline and read the holy book of Camaro . Lots of good information.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 02:45 AM   #7
Matty Ice

Drives: 2015 SS/RS 1LE
I would look at the JPSS rear bar with the 1le front bar.
Matty Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:12 PM   #8
Black Knight

Drives: Supercharged LLT
I have the 1LE rear bar and links available if anyone's looking
Old 12-08-2017, 09:31 AM   #9
olblue75

My Set Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty Ice View Post
I will be doing this myself I have the front bar in the shed and just need to purchase the 32mm JPSS bar so my current ZL1 bars will be for sale soon.
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
Old 12-08-2017, 02:21 PM   #10
DonM
Camaro #4

Drives: 2017-Hyper Blue Metallic-2LTmanual
In keeping with the subject of this thread, what would be the wisest options for a '13 1LS to tighten up the handling a bit (I've already upgraded the tires).
Old 12-08-2017, 03:17 PM   #11
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
Have you done anything to the original suspension? If not, I think the biggest change you'll notice will be from a new-style rear sway bar, followed by solid subframe bushings, both of which will reduce body roll and help keep the tires on the ground while both cornering and accelerating. I went with JPSS sway bars and Pegasus subframe bushings and can highly recommend both if you want your Camaro to be fun as **** to drive
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 04:39 PM   #12
olblue75

Agreed on both I have a ZL1 set up and was a huge difference then I put the solid cradle Bushings in now it’s a whole new car. I’d also recommend a set of Z28 RUCA Bushings less flex back there the better. Toe Rods and trailing are fairly cheap through those on too.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:10 PM   #13
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
I did it piece by pieces to get a sense of the changes:

Stock: car fun on track but too much body roll and rear suspension compliance.
1) 1LE rear bar. Body roll dramatically reduced. Car more fun.
2) 1LE toe links. Noticeable reduction in rear end steering under power and in corners.
3) 1LE front bar. Cornering now essentially flat. Understeers at the track, particularly under power on corner exit.
4) 1LE rear shocks. Car used to float on the road a bit at highway speeds and bounced on the track. The new shocks mostly corrected this.
5) JPSS front radius arm bushings. Turn in crisper. Also vibration under hard braking eliminated.
6) 19" wheels. Better acceleration and grip. Front bar exaggerating understeer more. Corded a brand new set of MPSS in 2 track days.
7) 1LE front struts. Slightly stiffer than standard FE4 SS. Float reduced and better control at track. Changed camber at install to max at -2deg (kept toe at 0 deg). Front tire wear now normal at track. Car now a neutral handler at the track, just use the brakes or throttle to move the CG forward or back in corners. *Now annoyed with remaining lateral wiggle at track and turn in a bit lagging.*
8) CTS-V brake upgrade. Uh wow. I can now max my straight line speed and brake later. A LOT more confidence.
9) Pegasus solid cradle bushings + Z/28 rear upper control arm bushings. The car finally feels "done". It is subtle, but I had to change my turn-in timing just in street driving. There must have been a slight delay even in street driving as the car "took a set". Car just goes where you point it. Can't wait to get it out on track.

Next I will likely change to 3.91 gearing as I get bogged in 3rd occasionally.

Edit: track weekend at COTA. Wiggle gone. Rear end breaks progressively and predictably. Do the solid bushings!

Last edited by wakespeak; 02-06-2018 at 08:57 PM.
wakespeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 08:56 PM   #14
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
Go visit JPSSonline and read the holy book of Camaro . Lots of good information.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty Ice View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by olblue75 View Post
I will be doing this myself I have the front bar in the shed and just need to purchase the 32mm JPSS bar so my current ZL1 bars will be for sale soon.
Over time, we have come to love our 32mm rear bar with the OE front bar. This is true with staggered and square setups.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote