Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-04-2022, 11:29 AM   #1
aldoun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1
TONY MAMO TB

Hello. I was wondering if anyone has the tony mamo throttle body and if it is safe to install without any tuning required. Does it actually work? is there really a difference between the stock tb.
Old 10-04-2022, 02:08 PM   #2
Idaho2018GTPremium

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
As mentioned in your other post, I have one on a stock tune. I did before/after tests with the only change being the Mamo ver 2 ported TB (I added a K&N intake after doing the before/after tests). I used the onboard timer and measured multiple 60-100 time splits. Stock, the top two times were 3.7 and 3.8 sec with a 1,900' DA (and I had multiple 3.8 sec splits so it was consistent). With only the ported TB the top two times dropped to 3.5 and 3.6 sec. with a 1,100' DA. The DAs were pretty close but corrected for DA that equates to ~3.7 sec avg vs. ~3.5 sec avg. Definitely an improvement. This would translate to about 0.3-0.4 sec improvement in the 60-130 time. I did the "after" tests several days after installing the TB (maybe a week), so it had some miles on it. I could not replicate the 3.5 sec. split again but was able to achieve multiple 3.6 sec splits. This was all on 91 octane.

You can't feel the difference in acceleration "seat of the pants". Adding ~15 hp when you start with 650 hp isn't enough to feel, but it is measurably quicker.

Full disclosure, with the first TB Tony sent me, my car would not idle nor run, I sent it back and he replaced it with another one, and it has run perfectly since the beginning of this year. I believe the first one was too aggressive of a port job for the stock tune. There was definitely more material removed when comparing the two TBs, and at idle, was letting too much air through.

And FYI, I did the tests again with the K&N carbon fiber intake and the top 3 average times improved slightly over just the Mamo ported TB, corrected for DA it was 0.05 sec faster over three runs (not much, but that equates to about a tenth in the 60-130 mph split). Same DA and fuel. The intake may be only slightly faster than the stock box, but it looks and sounds MUCH better.

Past:
2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1, MR, and A10
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Idaho2018GTPremium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 03:15 PM   #3
clg82

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldoun View Post
Hello. I was wondering if anyone has the tony mamo throttle body and if it is safe to install without any tuning required. Does it actually work? is there really a difference between the stock tb.
It's probably one of the cheapest, and worthwhile upgrades you can do to our cars. There are 100s of threads already about Mamo throttle bodies, I have the V2 and was able to tell a difference in throttle response etc between his and stock. Pull the trigger and get one. His customer service is also top notch!
Old 10-04-2022, 05:32 PM   #4
Sysopz

Drives: 2018 ZLE M6, '15 CLS 63s AMG
I have a new V2 in the box never used that you can have for free, I went with a 103mm. My car is still in the shop for another 4-5 weeks maybe if I spread some good karma, it will come back to me sooner Send a PM and I'll ship it out to you.
Old 10-04-2022, 05:55 PM   #5
george
ZL1 Driver

Drives: Camaro ZL1 & BMW M3/E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho2018GTPremium View Post
As mentioned in your other post, I have one on a stock tune. I did before/after tests with the only change being the Mamo ver 2 ported TB (I added a K&N intake after doing the before/after tests). I used the onboard timer and measured multiple 60-100 time splits. Stock, the top two times were 3.7 and 3.8 sec with a 1,900' DA (and I had multiple 3.8 sec splits so it was consistent). With only the ported TB the top two times dropped to 3.5 and 3.6 sec. with a 1,100' DA. The DAs were pretty close but corrected for DA that equates to ~3.7 sec avg vs. ~3.5 sec avg. Definitely an improvement. This would translate to about 0.3-0.4 sec improvement in the 60-130 time. I did the "after" tests several days after installing the TB (maybe a week), so it had some miles on it. I could not replicate the 3.5 sec. split again but was able to achieve multiple 3.6 sec splits. This was all on 91 octane.

You can't feel the difference in acceleration "seat of the pants". Adding ~15 hp when you start with 650 hp isn't enough to feel, but it is measurably quicker.

Full disclosure, with the first TB Tony sent me, my car would not idle nor run, I sent it back and he replaced it with another one, and it has run perfectly since the beginning of this year. I believe the first one was too aggressive of a port job for the stock tune. There was definitely more material removed when comparing the two TBs, and at idle, was letting too much air through.

And FYI, I did the tests again with the K&N carbon fiber intake and the top 3 average times improved slightly over just the Mamo ported TB, corrected for DA it was 0.05 sec faster over three runs (not much, but that equates to about a tenth in the 60-130 mph split). Same DA and fuel. The intake may be only slightly faster than the stock box, but it looks and sounds MUCH better.
Have you had any issues with your oil pump since install?
george is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 05:57 PM   #6
george
ZL1 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sysopz View Post
I have a new V2 in the box never used that you can have for free, I went with a 103mm. My car is still in the shop for another 4-5 weeks maybe if I spread some good karma, it will come back to me sooner Send a PM and I'll ship it out to you.
Have you had any issues with your oil pump with all your mod's? It looks like you have a 2018 ZL1. Mine is a 2017 and people have said we are in the caution block. BTW I'm not far from Valley Forge. I'm in York.
Old 10-04-2022, 06:17 PM   #7
Sysopz

Quote:
Originally Posted by george View Post
Have you had any issues with your oil pump with all your mod's? It looks like you have a 2018 ZL1. Mine is a 2017 and people have said we are in the caution block. BTW I'm not far from Valley Forge. I'm in York.
My oil pump failed the day before it was going to CSP for Kong X-port and 103mm TB so they are doing H/C and replacing the pump, it just got on the lift today so I should have it back in a few weeks I'll post when it's done if I don't die from anxiety first

My suggestion is if you're planning on keeping the car do yours preemptively, I wish I followed Andrew's advice and did H/C last year when it was in the shop like they suggested, I went with meth because of the cost. I won't make that mistake again; I'll leave it to the professionals from now on.
Old 10-04-2022, 06:23 PM   #8
george
ZL1 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sysopz View Post
My oil pump failed the day before it was going to CSP for Kong X-port and 103mm TB so they are doing H/C and replacing the pump, it just got on the lift today so I should have it back in a few weeks I'll post when it's done if I don't die from anxiety first

My suggestion is if you're planning on keeping the car do yours preemptively, I wish I followed Andrew's advice and did H/C last year when it was in the shop like they suggested, I went with meth because of the cost. I won't make that mistake again; I'll leave it to the professionals from now on.
I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope all goes well for you. Was there any warning or was it a drop in pressure? I hope it didn't damage the engine. I think I'm going to put a Katech in after the warranty expires. If it fails before then, I'm going to ask for the tech to replace it with a Katech.
Old 10-04-2022, 06:34 PM   #9
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
I thought only Nick Williams made throttle bodies
2/23 - 1031/1004 wheel.
4/23 - 1.41/9.61/145 at DA 7000 ft. (only made five passes).
2/24 - LME 390, E2650, FBO, 100 oct.; 1116hp/ 1063tq; 109 oct. dyno next.
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 06:46 PM   #10
Sysopz

Quote:
Originally Posted by george View Post
I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope all goes well for you. Was there any warning or was it a drop in pressure? I hope it didn't damage the engine. I think I'm going to put a Katech in after the warranty expires. If it fails before then, I'm going to ask for the tech to replace it with a Katech.
No warning at all, I was pulling in the parking lot at work, it spiked to 90+ psi then 5 psi, oil pressure message popped up I shut it off immediately and flat bedded it to CSP.
Old 10-04-2022, 06:49 PM   #11
ZLRob

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
So what is the order of quality here between all the throttle bodies?

Tony Mamo
Soler
Nick Williams

Those are the three I know of, but I always hear stories about, "oh, well it worked for the first few weeks or two months and it changed the way the car run in favor of better, but eventually the PCM learned it's new parameters and reverted back to the same way it used to run."
2017 Red Hot ZL1 A10 - Apex ARC-8's, 305/ 325 PS4's, DSX 9.06 12% Pulley, NGK HR7 Ruthenium spark plugs, Katech Oil Pump, LME tensioner, DOD delete, Cam, MPI lid, Soler ported 87mm (91mm effective) TB, Granatelli SS plug wires, Cordes LTR reservoir, DMS T-stat housing, Borla X pipe, AFe NPP exhaust, Black Widow Angry Housewife/ Venom 250 mufflers, BMR engine mounts, Banks iDash, Lithium Battery, Course Motorsports phone mount, AEM X- Series, HP Tuners, JMS, E85, 13.6 psi
737 HP/ 779 TQ

ZLRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 06:54 PM   #12
CW3SF

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLRob View Post
So what is the order of quality here between all the throttle bodies?

Tony Mamo
Soler
Nick Williams

Those are the three I know of, but I always hear stories about, "oh, well it worked for the first few weeks or two months and it changed the way the car run in favor of better, but eventually the PCM learned it's new parameters and reverted back to the same way it used to run."
I’ve ran the Soler and the NW. Both were an improvement over stock. I didn’t notice any reversion to stock characteristics, not even when the car was untuned (with the Soler).
Kong Stage X Port, NW103, LPE HPFP, XDI +30 Injectors, ARH Headers, Flex Fuel, JMS Booster, AWE Touring, Elite E2-X CC. Stock heads, stock cam, stock pulleys: Tuned by KingLT1. 740whp Uncorrected on e50
CW3SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 09:27 PM   #13
ZLRob

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CW3SF View Post
I’ve ran the Soler and the NW. Both were an improvement over stock. I didn’t notice any reversion to stock characteristics, not even when the car was untuned (with the Soler).
Interesting..

Did that feeling like the throttle is still engaged while coming to a stop go away as well after the TB replacement? I know many people have noticed that and don't like the issue. I have definitely noticed it on mine and I hate it as well, but it doesn't seem to be a tuning issue.
2017 Red Hot ZL1 A10 - Apex ARC-8's, 305/ 325 PS4's, DSX 9.06 12% Pulley, NGK HR7 Ruthenium spark plugs, Katech Oil Pump, LME tensioner, DOD delete, Cam, MPI lid, Soler ported 87mm (91mm effective) TB, Granatelli SS plug wires, Cordes LTR reservoir, DMS T-stat housing, Borla X pipe, AFe NPP exhaust, Black Widow Angry Housewife/ Venom 250 mufflers, BMR engine mounts, Banks iDash, Lithium Battery, Course Motorsports phone mount, AEM X- Series, HP Tuners, JMS, E85, 13.6 psi
737 HP/ 779 TQ

ZLRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 10:03 PM   #14
CW3SF

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLRob View Post
Interesting..

Did that feeling like the throttle is still engaged while coming to a stop go away as well after the TB replacement? I know many people have noticed that and don't like the issue. I have definitely noticed it on mine and I hate it as well, but it doesn't seem to be a tuning issue.
I initially used the throttle controller with the soler and it was better across the board than oem throttle body. It felt more responsive (adjustable with the controller) and less noticeable “idle hang” but it was still there. My response was primarily directed toward the question of the car “reverting to how it was before the mod”. Again I didn’t experience any reversion.

Tuning does also help the issue that you are describing. I don’t think it can be completely eliminated on this platform but I know it can be improved. Maybe some of the tuning gurus can comment on that. I’m no tuner, so I can’t explain why it does it or how to fix it.
Kong Stage X Port, NW103, LPE HPFP, XDI +30 Injectors, ARH Headers, Flex Fuel, JMS Booster, AWE Touring, Elite E2-X CC. Stock heads, stock cam, stock pulleys: Tuned by KingLT1. 740whp Uncorrected on e50
CW3SF is offline   Reply With Quote