Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-04-2015, 06:15 PM   #1
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
Has anyone traded in or sold an R6P?

I have an R6P (pre-production) 2SS/RS/M6 and I know there wasn't a lot of these made. I was curious if anyone had a problem selling their R6P because of the no HUD and no rear sensors? If you traded your R6P did the dealer even ask about it?

Since R6P cars are pretty rare and they aren't making any more of them I had hoped/expected they would demand a premium price but I haven't heard that. Contrary I'm wondering if an R6P could hinder your ability to sell or trade in your Camaro?

Russ
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 06:20 PM   #2
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
It will cost the same as a non R6P 2010 in similar condition with similar options. R6P really only matters to the ones that ordered them. It's a nice tip of the hat from Chevy, but ultimately it's not like it's an original 69 COPO. People don't see the value.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 08:23 PM   #3
Jamie Mac
NCM-WINR

Drives: 2010 SS/RS IOM 2014 2LT Stingray
Honestly, it is unlikely anyone buying a 6 year old car will care that you ordered the car early. Where is the value in that for them? Not trying to be harsh, just realistic.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:30 PM   #4
OHIOSS
Russ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Mac View Post
Honestly, it is unlikely anyone buying a 6 year old car will care that you ordered the car early. Where is the value in that for them? Not trying to be harsh, just realistic.
Only because it's much more rare and they are different. I don't plan on ever selling the car anyway. I was just curious if there was any difference in the market for R6P cars, good or bad.

The guy that did the tune on my car was very surprised how much more HP my Camaro had than any of the other SS's that he did tunes on. The only performance mod I have is a CAI. No supercharger, no headers or anything else. My SS was @ 418RWHP, he told me every one that he had dyno'ed was between 335RWHP - 365RWHP. The only difference that I could think of was because mine is an R6P and perhaps GM made a change when they put the cars into production and it reduced the HP? Mine was the only R6P that he had dyno'ed.

Russ
Old 03-04-2015, 09:33 PM   #5
Mean Green Z28

Drives: 2010 2SS
Mine's an early example too but I bought it used. Is that code in the build sticker in the trunk?
-- >> Some of my Projects My Fquick Page
Mean Green Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 09:49 PM   #6
Chevy_cowboy

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS M6 Convertible
I think the only people that are going to care about R6P are the original owners, and maybe collectors 25 years from now. Dealers especially won't care or probably even know what it means.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:02 PM   #7
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
Wait maybe 30+ years and they might bring a premium. Almost no late model cars ever bring much of a premium for rare or unusual options. There's just not really any collectible market for late model cars.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Hurst Billet short shifter
Square tire/wheel setup
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Stainless Power longtubes/highflow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
RPM Motorsports of Garner, NC dyno tune (421 RWHP)
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 12:56 PM   #8
OHIOSS
Russ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructo09 View Post
Wait maybe 30+ years and they might bring a premium. Almost no late model cars ever bring much of a premium for rare or unusual options. There's just not really any collectible market for late model cars.
I tend to agree with you. If I am lucky enough to live 30 more years maybe I will be willing to sell it then.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:38 PM   #9
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
It shouldn't affect resale value in the least right now. Outside of serious Camaro enthusiasts nobody knows what R6P means or that it even exists. Maybe in a few decades Barett Jackson will educate the masses, but until then...
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 10:24 AM   #10
talwell

Drives: 1969 LS1 Camaro
Book value would be the same on an R6P as it would any other 2010. In all honesty, most people buying would have no idea what the R6P is and would not notice not having the backup sensors unless you pointed it out. As for the HUD, that is a 2011 and later item so all 2010 would be lacking the HUD.

Value wise, the R6P cars would not see any higher value than any other car at this time and most likely any time in the future as it was only meant to designate an early order car. I owned a pre-production 2010 Camaro that was used as a festival car for both the Indy 500 and Brickyard 500 by the George family. I was able to get a premium for the car when I sold it because of the combination of special history the car had. Being a pre-production car has not proven to add more value on resale so I would doubt the R6P would either.
talwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 01:35 PM   #11
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
If there's no advantage, there's no value.

Want to know how much "more value" my "early 1970" Buick has? Oh, it's very clearly an "early 1970". It has the pointed lenses and clear overflow tank top and sequence number and armrest pad bases, etc. Regular production 1970 models of the same car are easy to spot to any Buick collector.

Care to guess the added value? Just about nothing. What it means is "car is an extra special pain in the ass to find the right parts for".

That car was made in 1969. That was 46 years ago. I keep waiting for collectors to throw money at me. 26 years and counting...Trust me here. Don't rely on your car being worth anything to anybody except you. Unless you've got an actual rarity and a good number of people care about it, it's a used car.