Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-07-2014, 10:53 AM   #1
EmeryZ28

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
cracked windshield under 500 miles

My wife's new car only has 489 miles. Last night we were driving and I noticed a crack form on the corner of the windshield and then grow to be about 7 inches across. This crack appears to start at the edge of the glass. There is no impact mark from a rock, just a very very small chipped area, that I actually made noticeable when I ran my fingernail across it. In my opinion this was a stress crack, perhaps the factory windshield was not in 100% correct. I am heading over to the GM service department in a few minutes. Have only owned the car for 7 days. Any chance they will throw me a loaner and take care of this with a genuine GM windshield for me, or do you think I am SOL?

I really do not want my wife driving her 50 minute commute tomorrow as this crack keeps growing and growing and will likely be spanning across the whole windshield by the time she gets home.

I am also worried that with it being a 2014 model, aftermarket glass repair companies might not be able to easily get a replacement
Old 12-07-2014, 10:56 AM   #2
Gee
Silver Ice

Drives: 2011 1LT Coupe SIM
Most insurance depending on state replace glass for free. No effect on your policy. Try Dealership first so you get OEM glass. If no go, try insurance.
Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 10:57 AM   #3
Mint

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Where on the window is it? Is it near the defrosters?
Mint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 10:59 AM   #4
EmeryZ28

starts on the drivers side, 2 inches up from the bottom of the windshield,and goes from the drivers side edge, about 12 inches up and across. I just looked at it, larger than I thought.

I know my insurance covers it 100% I just hate the idea of some mobile glass guy putting in an aftermarket windshield in a brand new car!
Old 12-07-2014, 11:01 AM   #5
Gee
Silver Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeryZ28 View Post
starts on the drivers side, 2 inches up from the bottom of the windshield,and goes from the drivers side edge, about 12 inches up and across. I just looked at it, larger than I thought.

I know my insurance covers it 100% I just hate the idea of some mobile glass guy putting in an aftermarket windshield in a brand new car!
I agree. Checking with the dealer is probably the best 1st step. I have aftermarket rear glass. It looks noticeably cheaper.
Old 12-07-2014, 11:03 AM   #6
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Stress crack is a possibility, and if there is no evidence of damage from road debris, they should take car of it.

I wouldn't worry about driving it however, unless it has a major effect on visibility of course. The windshield is not going to crumble or fall to to pieces if that is your concern.

I have a crack, from a rock. Places I've contacted to fix it say it takes about an hour. Also, I could be wrong, but I don't think there was any design change to the windshield from previous model year. Even if there was, replacements should be plentiful by now.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 11:05 AM   #7
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
That would fall under a manufacture defect more than likely , I am sure the dealer where you bought it will replace it free of charge , Or at least they should if no stone ever hit your windshield
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 01:27 PM   #8
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeryZ28 View Post
My wife's new car only has 489 miles. Last night we were driving and I noticed a crack form on the corner of the windshield and then grow to be about 7 inches across. This crack appears to start at the edge of the glass. There is no impact mark from a rock, just a very very small chipped area, that I actually made noticeable when I ran my fingernail across it. In my opinion this was a stress crack, perhaps the factory windshield was not in 100% correct. I am heading over to the GM service department in a few minutes. Have only owned the car for 7 days. Any chance they will throw me a loaner and take care of this with a genuine GM windshield for me, or do you think I am SOL?

I really do not want my wife driving her 50 minute commute tomorrow as this crack keeps growing and growing and will likely be spanning across the whole windshield by the time she gets home.

I am also worried that with it being a 2014 model, aftermarket glass repair companies might not be able to easily get a replacement
EmeryZ28,

My apologies regarding your wife's cracked windshield. Although I understand your displeasure, it's great that you'll be proactively reaching out to your dealer for an official diagnosis. Keep us in the loop and updated on your service visit. If necessary, I can contact the dealer's Customer Experience Managers if you have additional questions. We'll look forward to your updates .

Kindly,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 02:54 PM   #9
Eddiefuzz

Drives: 2011 RS
I want to know the name of the dealer with a service department open on a Sunday afternoon.
Eddiefuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 03:02 PM   #10
dualflow

Drives: 69 and 2012
Hopefully the dealer can get it taken care of for you. I use to be skeptical about those mobile guys too until I had the neighbor kid who works for Safelite do my Silverado, no issues and perfect seal all around.
dualflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 03:59 PM   #11
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee View Post
Most insurance depending on state replace glass for free. No effect on your policy. Try Dealership first so you get OEM glass. If no go, try insurance.
You may be able to get OEM glass covered by insurance. Here in Massachusetts, I got my windshield replaced twice with OEM Pilkington glass. The first time, it was free, because the car was less than 2 years old. But, you have to ask, or you will get the aftermarket crap.

The second time, I paid the difference between the cheapo glass and OEM, when the car was 4+ years old.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 04:01 PM   #12
Gee
Silver Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
You may be able to get OEM glass covered by insurance. Here in Massachusetts, I got my windshield replaced twice with OEM Pilkington glass. The first time, it was free, because the car was less than 2 years old. But, you have to ask, or you will get the aftermarket crap.

The second time, I paid the difference between the cheapo glass and OEM, when the car was 4+ years old.
Grrr. I need to call my insurance about it then. Thats lame/good to know. Thanks for the information. If you go to C5fest Ill get ya a beer.
Old 12-07-2014, 04:02 PM   #13
Software Guy

Drives: 2017 2SS, 2000 Trans Am Firehawk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
I went to the dealer when my windshield was cracked. We had a two week trip planned and couldn't wait.

Guess what? They called a mobile glass installer, made sure they had the part, and had it done in an hour. Perfect.
Insurance paid every penny.

You may as well stay home and let them come to you.

The mechanics aren't as familiar with the glass as the pros.
I worked at a dealership many years ago and this was the practice for front/rear window glass. We did however on 1 occasion actually order the glass because it was defective but the glass installer still replaced it.
Software Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 04:43 PM   #14
EmeryZ28

thanks for the info guys