Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-22-2014, 11:40 PM   #1
Austinfett

Drives: A blue decent little olds
17/18 year old buying a camaro/c6 vett?

I only make 12.37 an hour but i work full time as school isn't an issue. I only go one day a week and it's only for about 3 months.

I want to buy a camaro or corvette as i love both, but i always get told i'm too young, inexperienced, foolish, etc for even thinking of a car like these. They would only be my summer driver. My insurance is a little high (full coverage for the vett would be 350$ a month) but again.. I work full time and insurance is technically my only bill.

I'm wondering if i'm better off in the camaro though. Because i always get sh*t for the corvette. It's my money and i want to do what i want. I don't want to wait until i'm 40 and suffering a mid life crisis to buy a vett or camaro.

Any tips or encouragement?
Austinfett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:57 PM   #2
fif_gen_powa

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinfett View Post

yeah... save your money, go to school full time, get a real job, than worry about having nice things
fif_gen_powa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 12:30 AM   #3
jeffa

Drives: 2014 2LT/RS Ashen Gray Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubzzz44 View Post
yeah... save your money, go to school full time, get a real job, than worry about having nice things
jeffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 12:37 AM   #4
Aequitas & Veritas

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS, 2009 GTR
Depends on your job and what you want to do in life.

I bought my 2LT Camaro in 2009 when I was 19 and had her paid off in 2011. I worked full time and went to college. Graduated and Commissioned into the Army in 2013 (age 23) so I knew what job I was going to have for the next 5 years at least so I knew I could handle the money aspect. As I have other hobbies and still can buy whatever I want without worrying about every cent spent.

My thoughts are better to have a decent car and be finiancially stable than have an amazingly awesome car and be completely broke/living check to check.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:41 AM   #5
irgeek

Drives: Camaro 1LT 2010
Be smart when buying these types of cars. Don't get me wrong, I'm 19 and i bought my first car/camaro 9 months ago. What i'm trying to say is, have a co-signer or the car under someone over 25 with goo credit history. That way your interest rates and insurance will be low as well. Save that money for mods, future repairs. Buy a used camaro with low milage and the right price, thats what i did. You state your vett will be $350 a month. Did a dealer quote you on that with just you? If you just did calculations on your own based off what you make a week and stuff, good luck with that. At a young age with little to no credit history, depending on your state, down payment and the vett, we're looking at $500-$700 a month with high interest rates. Thats only the car itself. Also, don't be fooled. some dealers take advantage of young drivers looking for cars.

Not trying to bring you down on this but camaro or vett, your dealer probably wont take you searious knowing your at a young ag. Best you take someone older with you. Just telling some tips that i went about to getting my car at a cheap and right price. Anything is possible so i say go for it but be smart when looking/buying. Know what you want vs what you need. Best of luck!
irgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 01:36 AM   #6
TheSmokingSuns

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS, 2011 Camaro 2LT
Slow down buddy, you're rushing things.
TheSmokingSuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 01:50 AM   #7
Camaro310

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS Fully loaded
You don't have the money so good luck getting the stuff. (scarface moral)

Finish School
Keep the Folks happy,
Keep your job and save every dime.
Don't go out to eat.
I hope you are single because..... well.... gas , grass and ass all cost money so SAVE UP SON!
Camaro310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 01:58 AM   #8
thkfast

Drives: '14 Red 2SS/RS/LS3
Only YOU can decide if you can afford a $40-60K car. It really depends on your priorities. irgeek thought you said your car payments would be $350/mo, but THAT'S JUST YOUR predicted MONTHLY INSURANCE PREMIUM! As someone who once lived "paycheck to paycheck", I can tell you there's nothing worse than running out of money! What about a nice apartment or house? What about a cool motorcycle? Any other toys or vacations you might want?

My point is, if you ask most people what they were driving when they were 17/18 they'll tell you a $3,000 POS.

I estimate your car/insurance monthly payments will be at least $1000-1400. If you make enough money to afford a new Camaro or Corvette, then by all means, buy one!

thkfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 02:40 AM   #9
sspolo

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 1LE
Buy the car. I bet you won't be able to find that many people that will say they wanted POS car in High School or College. You will find many that will say they wish they had a bad ass car in High School or College. You are going the used route so you could get an SS or a base Corvette at around 26K which would be around 2 years of saving up (or one year for a great down payment)

I would say get the Camaro though. If you go out a lot, chances you will give some friends rides so it's better to have more seats.

Definitely don't wait until you're really old to buy the stuff you want. Buy it when you can physically enjoy it. I bet you don't want to be one of those guys "living" the retirement dream with their bad ass Corvette that they can barely get out of and is automatic since "knees aren't what they used to be".

Good luck!
sspolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 02:50 AM   #10
purv24

Drives: Black 2ss
Quote:
I only make 12.37 an hour but i work full time as school isn't an issue. I only go one day a week and it's only for about 3 months.

I want to buy a camaro or corvette as i love both, but i always get told i'm too young, inexperienced, foolish, etc for even thinking of a car like these. They would only be my summer driver. My insurance is a little high (full coverage for the vett would be 350$ a month) but again.. I work full time and insurance is technically my only bill.

I'm wondering if i'm better off in the camaro though. Because i always get sh*t for the corvette. It's my money and i want to do what i want. I don't want to wait until i'm 40 and suffering a mid life crisis to buy a vett or camaro.

YOull probably hear it over and over.

BUT, theres no way you are ready to take good ENOUGH care of the car.

And in 5 years or so when you get a better job, you will proably be board o the Camaro, or at least want a NEW car.
Just based on that alone the 340 insurance is a waste of money for 6 more years or so.

Best thing to do is save your money.
purv24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 02:59 AM   #11
DaFisch
Master Amateur Mechanic

Drives: Victory Red 2011 2SS/RS
I bought my 2ss at 16 back in 2011 and I have loved it ever since.
DaFisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 03:19 AM   #12
2Fast4Mu
Nothing is True

Drives: Black 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
I don't want to wait until i'm 40 and suffering a mid life crisis to buy a vett or camaro.

dang...I was wondering why I felt compelled to buy a Camaro.

Quote:
Tips? hmmm... Respect your elders, boy. One day you'll be a balding, divorced, pot bellied crazy coot trying to get 20 year old blondes in your 2035 Camaro HoverCar in an attempt to reclaim your youth.

Or....Honestly, a real tip?
Forget a Camaro for now.
You're young...spend your money on adventure. Travel the world. Backpack across China. Sew your seeds in eastern Europe. Stay at hostels in Ecuador. Trip on Ayahuasca in Peru. Make your way across your county line and find an entire world out there. There's plenty of time for a Camaro when you're having a midlife crisis and no longer have the energy to hike the Inca Trail.

Or, you could have a $12.50 per hour job, buy an expensive car, and spend years paying it off and maintaining it while not really expanding your horizons.

That's just my 2 cents.
Old 08-23-2014, 03:22 AM   #13
purv24

Drives: Black 2ss
And heres another thing... you make 12.67 an hour or so, and your only bill would be insurance.

Well, that WILL change.

You will eventually want an apartment, or something for yourself, and when youg et that youll need furniture,dishes, appliances, and youll add cable, electricity and all the goodies, youll want better clothes and everything.

BUT, if you have someone to hand all of that to you ALREADY, just go ahead and have them hand you a Camaro TOO.

ME, I have my dream car in my Camaro. But that's because I drove an 02 trailblazer for 5 years and worked my ass off to pay for it.
purv24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 03:31 AM   #14
Da Mammer

Drives: 2010 camaro SS... shell...
Question 1: you say insurance is your only bill, does this mean you have:
A loaded mommy and daddy or equivalent who are paying for the car
B have saved up enough money from the last few years to pay for it
C forgot to mention the car payment in your monthly bills

Question 2 are you looking at a
A new unsold '13 vette (you said c6)
B new camaro (I'm assuming v8)
C used c6
D used camaro

Question 3 is this your first car?

Question 4 do you already have another car suitable for winter?

Answer key:
If you answered A to question 1 I vote you should not have either vette or camaro
If you answered B get whichever you want and can ACTUALLY afford.
C when I was in school there was this thing called math, and I think you should rethink your finances and get some real numbers not just what someone said. I financed 31k with a credit score of 780+ and still needed a cosigner and wound up with a $610/month car payment and 31k is the least of your worries if you answered either A or B or Even C to question 2.

Question 3 if you answered yes, then I again vote no. Learn how to drive before you get that much power.

Question 4 if you answered no you will need one before you need a sports car.

Look, honestly we all want to see you get the vette or camaro of your dreams, but nobody wants to see it handed to you. There is a certain level of pride and appreciation and respect that comes from working hard to get your own things (sports cars included) and if you think people are giving you a blast of crap now about wanting a vette, imagine how much you're going to get when you're riding around in one that somebody else bought for you.

Also look at your future, it's near impossible to live off of 12.xx an hour as is, with a car payment it is impossible. Finish school, go to college, get a good paying job and buy what you want and have income to spare, by 22. At 17/18 you aren't even half the age of a 40 year old midlife crisis, you've got plenty of time. Do it right.

Tags
camaro, corvette, too-young