Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-07-2014, 01:45 PM   #1
13camarossva

Drives: 2013 inferno orange metallic ss
header/tune choice

So im at a dillemma right now.and ive done lots of back and forth reading and i cant decide. I have two options right now, I can either go with Stainless Power LT's with a Jannetty tune on the iTSX or i can get kooks headers and run a canned tune until i can make it over to the shop in my area.

I know stainless power are the same as stainless works (made in china) but ive heard nothing but good reviews on kooks. and i have heard nothing but great things about jannetty tunes. and for the buck thats the way to go.

If i go a canned tune on the intune what would the drawbacks be, obviously not full potential of headers, which really im not running at the track yet. but would the canned tune eliminate the O2 sensor error i would receive that would pop up after the header install.

Im really itching to press the button on a purchase, but im tossed between the two. could someone please provide any exta knowledge into this.

Thanks
13camarossva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 04:20 PM   #2
Dynamite

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS XD
Stainless Power Headers will work just as well as the kooks and you can afford a custom tune. This is a no brainer. Only get the Kooks if you are the type of person who prefers to buy products made in america.
2013 Black 2SS Camaro - NPP Exhaust - Rotofab Cold Air Intake - SWorks Stainless Power Long Tube Headers 1 7/8" - CNC Ported Throttle Body - Showstopper Sidemarkers Ghosted Black - Sequential Tail Lights - RX Catch Can - Hill Start Assist Disabled- 35% Tint - Heritage Grille - BTR Stage 4 Cam - 3.91 Gears
Dynamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:05 PM   #3
nyny69

Drives: 2010 IOM SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13camarossva View Post
So im at a dillemma right now.and ive done lots of back and forth reading and i cant decide. I have two options right now, I can either go with Stainless Power LT's with a Jannetty tune on the iTSX or i can get kooks headers and run a canned tune until i can make it over to the shop in my area.

I know stainless power are the same as stainless works (made in china) but ive heard nothing but good reviews on kooks. and i have heard nothing but great things about jannetty tunes. and for the buck thats the way to go.

If i go a canned tune on the intune what would the drawbacks be, obviously not full potential of headers, which really im not running at the track yet. but would the canned tune eliminate the O2 sensor error i would receive that would pop up after the header install.

Im really itching to press the button on a purchase, but im tossed between the two. could someone please provide any exta knowledge into this.

Thanks

Headers are not as important as who tunes it. Be diligent in your research. Headers are not going to break your car the wrong tuner can.
nyny69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:10 PM   #4
bhillakaiceberg

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS & 2017 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyny69 View Post
Headers are not as important as who tunes it. Be diligent in your research. Headers are not going to break your car the wrong tuner can.

2017 Chevrolet Camaro 1SS Auto
9.29 @144.57mph ALL MOTOR SBE

#TEAMGPI Gwatney Performance Innovation

bhillakaiceberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:14 PM   #5
Shift_Rejected
2010 2SS RS

Drives: 2010 2SS RS (L99)
I'll vote Kooks but I'm biased..

I originally was going to get SP cause they seem like a pretty good header but a good deal came up and I always considered kooks one of the top tiers (ARH, Kooks).. Hit up MaryLand speed for a great deal.

The tune is important, but neither tune you mentioned is a dyno tune so I doubt its that big of a difference.
Performance Mods: K&N Cold Air Intake | Pypes Cat-Back Exhaust | Aluminum Paddle Shifters | VaraRam Wedge | Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors | Hawk HPC Pads | M.M. Ported Throttle Body | Kooks 1 7/8 Headers w/ High Flow Cats | Dyno Tune @ RPM
Cosmetic Mods: Rally Stripes (style1, style2, style2.2) | Splitter | Painted Calipers | Door Projector Lights | Front-Emblem Delete | Cup Holder Lighting | Quarter Window Covers | Phantom Grille | Ghosted Side Markers | Tinted Fog Lights | ZL1 Rockers | Tail Light Bezels
Shift_Rejected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:23 PM   #6
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
It's all in the tune. I'd get the SP headers and a tune from Matt@FSP or Rhino79, both are excellent at what they do.
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:29 PM   #7
angie7
Smoked by a GIRL

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
I personally wouldn't put headers on without a true dyno tune. They are more expensive but well worth it. I just recently put TSP headers on mine and went back and forth with a JRE tune or a dyno tune. After lots of research and talking to many people I decided to go with a dyno tune from a highly recommended shop about an hour and a half away. This shop tunes with the HP tuner which through my research has said is better for GM where the SCT tuner is best for Fords. Of course you're going to get a million different opinions and before long you're head will start to spin. My goal was if I'm going to spend X amount of dollars on headers, I want the best tune possible for maximum performance even its going to cost me more $$.

Also check TSP headers. Excellent quality and reasonable price.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:31 PM   #8
Frans96ss

Drives: 96SS
Give us a call and we can install a set of ARH headers and do a dyno tune the same day while you wait.
Frans96ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:35 PM   #9
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
Fran is great as well.
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:25 PM   #10
94guy

Drives: 99 Camaro; 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS

2010 Camaro
Stock bottom end with 46,000+miles JRE remote tuning Whipple A6 and Drive it to and from the track 9.46@146
94guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:28 PM   #11
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
HPTuners was my first mod and so far my best.....IMO the tune is the foundation of your car and all your future mods headers would be second my list pick your tune first then do whatever with headers....to be honest your better off doing a CAI and a tune then headers and a tune do some research and find out for yourself your gunna get tons of opinions here mine included.

i noticed the performance if my headers once i deleted my cats ...not before....or if your needing to pass emissions then high flow cats....once people open the flow of there exaust then they usually get the benefits of there headers...so thats why i reccomend the CAI and tune first if money is an issue

ive worked as a mecanic and jr tuner in a custom car shop for ten years and this is what we always recommended to other customers...i am sure some will disagree, even other professionals in the industry like i said its just my two cents
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:36 PM   #12
Bear

Drives: 2015 Green Flash 2SS M6
OP I am/was in the same position as you. I was either gonna do the SP or the Kooks. I got a few quotes for the Kooks but in the end I couldnt justify the extra cost. I too am doing the JRE Deal with the SCT3400 tune except now since I am getting the headers from him the tune is free. I know I am getting a standard canned tune, but of I so choose I can data log the car then send that to Ted and he will change tune for free. I feel very comfortable with this scenario since its only headers and no motor work. Ordinarily in the past with my 427 FireHawk I had all tuning done on the dyno, but that was a different animal all together.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:46 PM   #13
F-16 Camaro

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Black
^ I agree. I'll be going the same route.

SCT Tuner from Jannety, + SP headers + free tune.

The free tune really makes the deal. yeah it's remote but it's a fine tuned tune...
F-16 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 12:01 AM   #14
376LS3
Eh, that'll happen

Drives: 2010 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by F-16 Camaro View Post
^ I agree. I'll be going the same route.

SCT Tuner from Jannety, + SP headers + free tune.

The free tune really makes the deal. yeah it's remote but it's a fine tuned tune...
Go see Joe at CPR in Mesa. He'll get you headers and real tune from NicD. Hes the best tuner on the west. Dont skimp on a tune.