Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 01-29-2015, 01:02 PM   #99
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Ah, if only everything was free. I'd have a Z/28 for every day of the week.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 01:43 PM   #100
NJScorpio

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LT Hyper Blue Metallic
I recall, when I had my Hyundai, it came with free Hyundai Roadside Assistance (phone number was on the windows)....I thought OnStar was basically the Chevy equivalent...
NJScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 02:15 PM   #101
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
I recall, when I had my Hyundai, it came with free Hyundai Roadside Assistance (phone number was on the windows)....I thought OnStar was basically the Chevy equivalent...
GM has that and has had that for years, although the # isn't on the window anymore. Good for up to 5 years, and covers lockout. It's in the owners manual. Which in OPs case, would be locked up inside of the car, lol.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 02:21 PM   #102
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
My Camaro is the only one with OnStar. I was thinking give me everything for the base price and give me back the min I bought. I suspended my service in Nov of 13 when I put the car up for winter and never reactivated it.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 03:11 PM   #103
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by blewbyyou View Post
Car locked and keys locked in trunk I thought onstar could help but without a valid enrollment nothing they can do. The lady said I needed to push the blue button on the mirror if I could do that I wouldn`t be wrighting this thread. Onstar gone AAA to the rescue. Currious as how they can do a remote diagnostic but can`t open the doors.Sorry had to vent.
You wouldn't be writing this thread if you had a copy of the metal part of the key made and you kept that in your wallet or elsewhere on your person either.

You'd have been able to fix your own problem and been on your way again in less time than it took you to connect to Onstar over your phone. A one-time expense, good for as long as you own that car.

Comrando - I'd rather have that money for gas, tires, brake pads, other mods, or track time entry fees. Or a get-away weekend with the Missus.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 03:12 PM   #104
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by satxrider View Post
Have you called them recently? I did. They showed up to open my truck and wanted $200 to open it up.
$200? Not recently, $40+ was the rate a few yes ago here.

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 07:37 PM   #105
satxrider
Bad 45th

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversay Edition SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1183 View Post
$200? Not recently, $40+ was the rate a few yes ago here.
Yes, that is the price advertised but not the price they attempted to charge when the get to the car. Without prior notice, they wanted extra for coming out after 5pm, extra for being the weekend, and extra because they couldn't use a slim-jim (but they had a master key to open the door). None of this is disclosed when I called on the phone. After looking around I found this was a common practice and the cause of many complaints. I told him to get lost and would pay the agreed trip charge only and would find another method and he quickly negotiated down to $100.

Fortunately my insurance pays to reimburse for these charges but found it to be ridiculous fee to start with.

I know most don't like On-Star but I actually don't mind the fee (and yes I negotiated when agreeing to keep the service). I use the phone app on occasion to either lock or unlock my doors, and before I drive will check vehicle diagnostics like tire pressure and will sometimes send turn by turn directions to the car - when going places for the first time. I agree its probably too much $$$ for what its worth but I don't mind that much.
Magnuson TVS 2300 Supercharger / Alky Meth Injection / Lingenfelter GT12 Cam / Kooks LT Headers, 3 inch exhaust & QTP electric cut outs / Monster LT1-S Twin Disc Clutch / MGW flat blade short throw shifter / Haltech CAI / VMax Throttle Body / DSS Stage 3 axles/ BMR Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, Suspension Bushing and 1" lowering springs / Taylor 8MM Plug Wires / Tuned by Henderson Performance Technologies / EBC dimpled and sloted rotors / G2 Painted Calipers / GM Tower Strut Brace / ZL1 Factory Rep Wheels
satxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 07:57 PM   #106
cb66

Drives: 13 2SS/RS HWSE Camaro # 959
So your free trial runs out.....you don't renew...you lock your keys in the car ...now you are pissed at OnStar because they wont provide a service to you that you didn't pay for ? I don't get it !
cb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 08:02 PM   #107
wayne watson

Drives: 2014 camaro ss ,1967 chevelle ss,
set the lockout protection from the menu and stop this madness
Old 01-30-2015, 06:49 AM   #108
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
I have money for gas, pizza, beer, trips to the track. And vacation trips.

I suppose if you are that strapped that's a different story.
It's about finding less wasteful/frivolous solutions to a potential problem, not about being "strapped". Self reliance, and like I said before it's even the quickest solution.

I would always put even $20 toward refueling at a track day than use it to pay somebody else to fix a situation as easily foreseeable as locking oneself out of one's own car.

Of course, all you guys with the switchblade keys and the fix have to do is keep the fob and the key separate instead of on the same ring. Cost = $0.00, time spent = maybe a few seconds and you don't even have to go anywhere.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 07:18 AM   #109
Chevy_cowboy

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS M6 Convertible
Doorlock service isn't the only reason to have Onstar, for us the Primary reason is the theft tracking and the discount the insurance company offers for having it, especially on the Camaro since they're a pretty big theft target.

The auto crash response and locating system is cheap peace of mind also. In my 17 years as a professional driver I've discovered a handful of accidents on quiet roads in the middle of the night, some had happened hours earlier. There's not always someone who happens by and can call for help in those situations.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:40 PM   #110
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Another potential benefit of onstar: (i'm not an insurance salesman, ha ha)
Some insurance companies discount premiums if you allow a feed from Onstar, and mileage driven in 6 month intervals is below average.
e.g. State Farm's Drive Safe & Save program collects mileage automatically from onstar if you allow onstar to send it to them - then State Farm adjusts insurance rates every 6 months if you qualify. However, if you suddenly start driving lots in the next period rates can go up. You have the option of terminating State Farm's Drive Safe & Save program at any point.
https://www.statefarm.com/insurance/...rive-safe-save
Ron
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 06:52 PM   #111
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED SLED View Post
Ah, if only everything was free. I'd have a Z/28 for every day of the week.
And you would need that many as the LS7 motors started blowing up! lol
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 07:28 PM   #112
LSXBumblebee
LSX Bumblebee

Drives: 2014 LSX Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron123 View Post
Another potential benefit of onstar: (i'm not an insurance salesman, ha ha)
Some insurance companies discount premiums if you allow a feed from Onstar, and mileage driven in 6 month intervals is below average.
e.g. State Farm's Drive Safe & Save program collects mileage automatically from onstar if you allow onstar to send it to them - then State Farm adjusts insurance rates every 6 months if you qualify. However, if you suddenly start driving lots in the next period rates can go up. You have the option of terminating State Farm's Drive Safe & Save program at any point.
https://www.statefarm.com/insurance/...rive-safe-save
Ron
First off...Who here drives slow and safe in their Camaro?
LSXBumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote