Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-23-2014, 10:12 AM   #29
Jamie Mac
NCM-WINR

Drives: 2010 SS/RS IOM 2014 2LT Stingray
You should ask your parents what they think. They may expect you to pay your own rent, utilities and food bill sometime unless you're going to use those things for your midlife crisis and move out of the house at 40.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:14 AM   #30
Austinfett

Drives: A blue decent little olds
Actually, i was planning on saving for a full year and probably around 2/3 months. It's difficult but possible to pay in full cash.
A few things:
1. My family isn't rich, i'd work and pay for it all myself.
2. I'd have the title and insurance in a family member's name. I'd pay them and just drive it, much cheaper.
3. I have about 2/3 people in my family who work as mechanics and can fix it at a better rate.
4. The reason i said i got shit for a corvette was because it's "worse for a kid to drive." But if i earn it myself i have a harder time understanding why itms a problem. I plan on buying this before college so i can work full tome through college.
5. I have a car that works in winter decent enough. It's a 4 banger olds alero.
Austinfett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:33 AM   #31
sene

Drives: 2011 Summit White 2LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinfett View Post
Actually, i was planning on saving for a full year and probably around 2/3 months. It's difficult but possible to pay in full cash.
A few things:
2. I'd have the title and insurance in a family member's name. I'd pay them and just drive it, much cheaper.
3. I have about 2/3 people in my family who work as mechanics and can fix it at a better rate.
4. The reason i said i got shit for a corvette was because it's "worse for a kid to drive." But if i earn it myself i have a harder time understanding why itms a problem. I plan on buying this before college so i can work full tome through college.
You don't make enough money buddy, forget about it.
sene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:37 AM   #32
The orange one

Drives: 2010 ss camaro Iom ls3 m6
I would never spend 350.00 dollars a month on insurance.That is over 4,000 dollars a year.I would save up some money,wait a few years and purchase when your insurance rates will be more reasonable.
The orange one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:23 AM   #33
pickwithaustin

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible and:
Quote:
All the more reason to start helping out with the bills. You said you have no other bills, so are they paying things like your cell phone, clothing, health insurance, share of utilities, schooling costs?

Quote:
Hopefully you will be named somewhere on the policy so that if there is an accident, the insurance will be... valid.

Quote:
If you are buying it new, it will have a warranty... no need for you to pay to fix it.

Quote:
Who is paying for college? Me? *wink*

Quote:
Summer me, winter me. Get a car that works all the time.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible | 1980 Corvette Stingray | 1981 Firebird | 1968 El Camino | 2007 Crown Vic Police Interceptor | 2001 Silverado | 2001 Blazer | 1965 Chevy C-10 | 2007 Harley Softail Custom | 2013 MX-5 in Copper Red Mica | 2000 Corvette Convertible | 2010 Corvette Grand Sport | 2006 Audi A3 Turbo | 2008 BMW 328i

pickwithaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:30 AM   #34
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
good luck getting a loan..
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:36 AM   #35
94turbolsx

Drives: 2001 Camaro SS
Buy what you want and be happy. I had an awesome job out of high school, and purchased and brand new 1992 Camaro Z28 when I was 18. I worked hard for it, I respected it, and I was responsible with it. I think the statement of being to young is complete utter BS.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:46 AM   #36
purv24

Drives: Black 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94turbolsx View Post
Buy what you want and be happy. I had an awesome job out of high school, and purchased and brand new 1992 Camaro Z28 when I was 18. I worked hard for it, I respected it, and I was responsible with it. I think the statement of being to young is complete utter BS.
ITs not the young part that makes people weary of this guy... its the "I only have one bill, it will be in someone elses name, I make 12 dollars an hour, I don't want a corvette because I will get shit"

Anything is possible, you can always work your ass off to get what you want.

But simply put, saying he will basically pay someone to have it in their name translates to this guy doesn't need a cell phone much less a Camaro.
purv24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:47 AM   #37
Burn Notice24

Drives: 2012 Camaro Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94turbolsx View Post
It's not about being young. It's about putting that money to better use. At 18, instead of paying that much for a car, save that money, buy a cheaper car and start saving money for a house/condo. The last thing you need at 18 while you're in school is a car payment. OP, it's a mistake. I know it's tempting, but don't do it. Keep saving and you'll be happy you did so down the line.
Burn Notice24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:52 AM   #38
Da Mammer

Drives: 2010 camaro SS... shell...
Quote:
A few things:
So.. You want to pay for a c5 camaro/c6 vette in full, cash, off of 12 bucks an hour after a year of saving 2/3 of it?... Go back to school 5 days a week kid, and make sure you sign up for a math class. That's the best advice I can give you.

1 so if you're family isn't rich, why not pay for yourself to live? Seriously, your family is gonna pay for all your expenses so you can go out and buy a fancy car? That's EXACTLY why people (myself included) will give you a blast of crap for having a car like this.

2 that's called fraud. And if your $350 a month number came from this idea, you're screwed if you try and fund it the proper way. The fraud is another reason to say you're not ready for this car from either a financial or responsibility stand point.

3 you should learn to work on the car with them. It's a good life skill, and if you are going new you shouldn't need much.

4 it's not worse for a vette vs camaro, it's the principle. You're talking about getting a car that costs half as much as a house while you leach off mom and dad to do it cuz you "can afford it now". At best it's gonna take you 3-4 years to pay off the car at that rate. You gonna push off college for 2-3 years to get a car? Not the wisest life choice. Those 2-3 years pushed off could translate to $40k+. And who is paying for college? Are you taking personal loans? Or is it coming from family?

Again your best bet is to go to college, first, and then get your dream car when YOU can ACTUALLY afford it. In the mean time, get something that may not be your dream car but will work until you get one.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:56 AM   #39
StanLE

Drives: wanna1LE
Making some basic assumptions, if you get 40 hours per week every week and get paid biweekly, that's about $747 every 2 weeks, or 1495 a month, or 17941 per year. Assuming you spend NO money at all, you'd basically be dumping every penny you have into a car. When I was 19 I made this same mistake, I bought a 2007 srt8 dodge charger, and it ran me so far into the ground (tires were over 1000$, oil changes were 80$ doing them myself, gas was 80$ a tank, etc) and insurance, forget about it. Every time I hit the throttle I smiled and got a great feeling but then when I had to make the payment, the depression set in. Bottom line to me, it is not worth it at this point in your life. There's a lot of cool cars out there to be had, and your tastes believe it or not WILL change over the next few years. Good luck with your decisions, but make sure if you do get one that you're not immediately upside down in it so that you can reasonably sell it if need be.
StanLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:59 AM   #40
Dtowndog420

Drives: SBM 09 G8 GT/RH 15 SS 1LE
$350.00 a month for insurance alone on a 12.35/hr job! Really dude? Your priorities are up your ass and out of touch with reality and truly that of a young person. Why are you even asking this question?
Dtowndog420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 12:00 PM   #41
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
I say your best bet is look for a used SS for around 25k. there are lots of them out there.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:02 PM   #42
CaliDave

Drives: 2014 2LT/RS Convertible
Send a message via Yahoo to CaliDave
Get the Corvette and take the shit and call them hatters.
Just think of all the girls you can get in that car. Lol
CaliDave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camaro, corvette, too-young