Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-08-2014, 05:29 AM   #15
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by F-16 Camaro View Post
^ I agree. I'll be going the same route.

SCT Tuner from Jannety, + SP headers + free tune.

The free tune really makes the deal. yeah it's remote but it's a fine tuned tune...
Not really. Datalogging won't get you a fine tuned tune. You need a dyno graph that shows you everything, to get it perfect. Also, going with a SCT greatly narrows your choices for tuners. Very few tuners use it. Why do you think there's so many for sale lately.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 05:40 AM   #16
Baltimorejohn1

Drives: Camaro 2SS
I always say go headers first then everything else
Because if nothing else it enhances all other mods to where you can feel it from the beginning

As far as which one from the choices you have up there you can't go wrong
Go with the one that gives you the best quality and the best deal
Maybe someone will give you a nice combo deal

I like Texas Speed because of how much you get for under $500
But I like Kooks as well but the deal is a deal
Old 03-08-2014, 06:39 AM   #17
Tampa Tuning
Account Suspended

Drives: TAMPA TUNING FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM
Corvette Camaro GTO Cobolt Truck tuner in Tampa Orlando

Many folks on here have taken advantage of the HP Tuners mail order program from Tampa Tuning. I work with many shops locally and overseas.

With Tampa Tuning, Its not a one and done calibration program. You send me your original file, and I enhance it to a Tampa Tuning work tune based on a vehicle make and model like yours with the same or similar modifications.

Once I convert your stock calibration to a Tampa Tuning file, I send a scanner configuration to download and use while data logging and the work tune I sent you.

You upload the tune, and take the car for a 30 minute drive then send me back the data logging scan to review. Then if I need to make corrections, I modify the calibration to upload and you take the vehicle for another 30 minute drive. This process is a rinse and repeat of data logging until im happy with the way the numbers are coming into.

Don't get BS'd into the one and done custom tuning. The Tampa Tuning mail order calibration process averages three custom calibrations until I like the calibration data sent to me for review.

I apply the same strategies to the Mail Order program as I do to dyno tuning.

I see to many times shops load up on fuel to knock down Knock Retarding, add a couple pounds of transmission line pressure, delete the torque management and call it a tune. The owners feel a little different and think their vehicle is performing better. I call that masking a tune to work, and that's not what your paying me for.

Thanks,
Phil
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:09 AM   #18
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
I had my stainless power installed yesterday and I am waiting 3 weeks to get a proper dyno tune. Like an earlier post said, the best value is in Stainless Power or Texas Speed and a true dyno tune with the money saved. That being said, you will be happy either way as these cars love headers and these guys do a great job on the mail tunes.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:13 AM   #19
Camarojt

Drives: 2011camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyg36 View Post
It's all in the tune. I'd get the SP headers and a tune from Matt@FSP or Rhino79, both are excellent at what they do.
^^ this!! Just bc a tune is free doesn't mean it's the best bang for your buck. You still have to buy a handheld programmer. Then if you ever decide to go the route of getting a dyno tune down the line, you have essentially lost money in the long run bc now you will get 1/3 of what you spent on a handheld when you sell it.
Get a dyno tune the 1st time and do it the right way.
Camarojt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 12:19 PM   #20
13camarossva

Drives: 2013 inferno orange metallic ss
Thanks for all the input. ended up buying the stainless power headers and already talked to a dyno tune shop which is highly recommended in my area.
13camarossva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:24 AM   #21
Kelly@PCMofNC

Drives: 2010 RS/SS
I prefer Kooks. Not only do they fit and perform great, but we're talking about an American company employing many people in my area! I always sell Kooks if I can help it, everybody wins - customer gets great results, helps stimulate local economy to have a big business like that around.
Kelly@PCMofNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:04 AM   #22
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13camarossva View Post
Thanks for all the input. ended up buying the stainless power headers and already talked to a dyno tune shop which is highly recommended in my area.

Great choice man!! Enjoy!
Old 03-10-2014, 11:54 AM   #23
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
OP I am/was in the same position as you. I was either gonna do the SP or the Kooks. I got a few quotes for the Kooks but in the end I couldnt justify the extra cost. I too am doing the JRE Deal with the SCT3400 tune except now since I am getting the headers from him the tune is free. I know I am getting a standard canned tune, but of I so choose I can data log the car then send that to Ted and he will change tune for free. I feel very comfortable with this scenario since its only headers and no motor work. Ordinarily in the past with my 427 FireHawk I had all tuning done on the dyno, but that was a different animal all together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by F-16 Camaro View Post
^ I agree. I'll be going the same route.

SCT Tuner from Jannety, + SP headers + free tune.

The free tune really makes the deal. yeah it's remote but it's a fine tuned tune...
Thank you Gentlemen, JRE will be sure and give you the best tune possible.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:30 PM   #24
Cincy10SSRS

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by angie7 View Post
After lots of research and talking to many people I decided to go with a dyno tune from a highly recommended shop about an hour and a half away.
Cincy Speed? Probably going to get tuned there in a few months I hope.
Traded-in car: K&N Typhoon intake, JBA Shorty headers, Solo mid-pipes/hi-flow cats, GMPP Track Pack axle-back, Vmax ported TB, Billet Custom catch can, billet tensioner pulley, Hines Hex Vents, Z/TA rear spoiler, ProCustom headlight covers, Drake black/riveted quarter window covers, GM satin fuel door, chrome and brushed caps/covers under the hood, EmblemPros underhood bowtie & fuel rail "Camaro" plates, chrome "SS" door kick-panels, chrome trunk latch plate & strut rods, Street Scene lower grille ducts w/LED lights, front bowtie-delete, Yates Performance pedals, 35% tint, etc.
Cincy10SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:58 PM   #25
Bear

Drives: 2015 Green Flash 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
Thank you Gentlemen, JRE will be sure and give you the best tune possible.

Ted.
Thanks Ted. Ill see you you tomorrow.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:08 PM   #26
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13camarossva View Post
Good choice.
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:02 PM   #27
Cincy10SSRS

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltimorejohn1 View Post
I always say go headers first then everything else
Because if nothing else it enhances all other mods to where you can feel it from the beginning
I sometimes wonder why performance cars like our SS's & ZL1's don't just come from the factory with headers and hi-flow cats? I realize it may boost the sticker price a bit but if your counting the pennies you'd probably buy something else anyway.
Traded-in car: K&N Typhoon intake, JBA Shorty headers, Solo mid-pipes/hi-flow cats, GMPP Track Pack axle-back, Vmax ported TB, Billet Custom catch can, billet tensioner pulley, Hines Hex Vents, Z/TA rear spoiler, ProCustom headlight covers, Drake black/riveted quarter window covers, GM satin fuel door, chrome and brushed caps/covers under the hood, EmblemPros underhood bowtie & fuel rail "Camaro" plates, chrome "SS" door kick-panels, chrome trunk latch plate & strut rods, Street Scene lower grille ducts w/LED lights, front bowtie-delete, Yates Performance pedals, 35% tint, etc.
Cincy10SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 01:16 AM   #28
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy10SSRS View Post
I sometimes wonder why performance cars like our SS's & ZL1's don't just come from the factory with headers and hi-flow cats? I realize it may boost the sticker price a bit but if your counting the pennies you'd probably buy something else anyway.
Two words WARRANTY CLAIMS. Nuff said.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote