Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-15-2023, 09:38 AM   #1
IKILLEDSUPERMAN_ZL1

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Holley EFI and factory gauges

Is there anyone running the Holley EFI and able to keep the factory gauges and AC? I would like to keep my gauges but if i have to go with a race dash i would like to retain the AC.
2011 Camaro 2SS, 6.0 iron block forged bottom end, Dart heads, BTR intake, Huron twin turbo kit, Summit stage 3 twin turbo cam, Circle D stage 4 6L90, 3800 FTI converter. BMR suspension, Viking coil overs, Fore triple pump fuel system.
IKILLEDSUPERMAN_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 01:03 PM   #2
408TT_10

Drives: 2010 Camaro
The short answer to both is no. The Holley EFI CAN messages are proprietary and unchangeable. The factory dash gauges are on one of the three CAN bus networks in the car. I'm in the same process currently to make a Megasquirt standalone work to send the correct messages for the 4 pack (Oil temp/oil pressure/trans temp/voltage) gauges work like factory. I'm using an Arduino as a gateway module to interpret the CAN signals from the Megasquirt into the proprietary CAN messages that the car (BCM) is expecting. I'm replacing the factory dash gauges with a screen/Raspberry Pi running RealDash on Raspbian but keeping the shifter gauges. A/C is similar. The factory PCM controls almost every aspect of the A/C system, in the factory engine harness is the A/C system pressure sensor and compressor clutch circuit. In the case of the Megasquirt, I can use the gateway Arduino code to measure the A/C pressure at the factory sensor, verify that it is within the safe operating range (not too high or low) watch for the A/C button request CAN message from the BCM (I still need to verify that I can poke the BCM "engine running" message true since the A/C and heated seats only work when the engine is running). The Arduino then watches A/C evaporator core temperature (via CAN) and uses it as the closed loop target of when to tell the Megasquirt to turn on the A/C compressor and its A/C compensation logic. Unfortunately this is the most elegant solution I've found when removing the factory PCM since it does everything except the evap core temp (which is what the compressor control is targeting, not necessarily system pressure. You can see this in how the pressure is controlled stock via HPTuners). The other issues you are going to run into are fuel levels (both saddles level sensors are directly wired to the PCM) as well as the starter control circuit (Also controlled by the PCM)
408TT_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 03:20 PM   #3
Ashen 6.2

Drives: 2014 Camaro Z/SS
I am in the process of converting to a Holley Dominator using a Race Products Gateway that goes in place of the ECM. The only things I should lose is one touch start, cruise control and traction control. Will still have the factory dash/gauges and everything else should work like normal.

I always turn the traction control off and dont use cruise control anyways, so the only real impact is holding the key until it starts then release.

I hope to have the car back from tuning soon.

Mods - GPI 416 w/Custom Grind Cam, Ported Heads & Tuned by Ben, Holley Dominator ECU, Mag Heartbeat, ZL1 Fuel Pump & DSX Aux Pump, NW 103 TB, FIC 1650's, Alky Meth, Circle D 3600 Triple Disc, Kooks Headers, Viking Coil Overs & all the BMR Goodies in the rear, Zl1 3.23 Diff, DSS Axles, Gulfcoast Driveshaft, Hendrix Offset Diff Bushings, AFE Solid Subframe Bushings, 875HP/843TQ 5FDP
Ashen 6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 09:33 AM   #4
IKILLEDSUPERMAN_ZL1

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Interesting. I found a Gateway module from LSX power tuning that's probably the same thing. It supposedly allows me to run the Holley and keeps the factory gauges and AC. I would still use HPT to tweak the transmission though. It's around $1800 bux.
2011 Camaro 2SS, 6.0 iron block forged bottom end, Dart heads, BTR intake, Huron twin turbo kit, Summit stage 3 twin turbo cam, Circle D stage 4 6L90, 3800 FTI converter. BMR suspension, Viking coil overs, Fore triple pump fuel system.
IKILLEDSUPERMAN_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 06:50 AM   #5
Ashen 6.2

Drives: 2014 Camaro Z/SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by IKILLEDSUPERMAN_ZL1 View Post
Interesting. I found a Gateway module from LSX power tuning that's probably the same thing. It supposedly allows me to run the Holley and keeps the factory gauges and AC. I would still use HPT to tweak the transmission though. It's around $1800 bux.
Sounds like the same thing or very similar to what I am using. I will still use the HP tuner for trans tuning as well until I switch to a T400 or 4L80.

Mods - GPI 416 w/Custom Grind Cam, Ported Heads & Tuned by Ben, Holley Dominator ECU, Mag Heartbeat, ZL1 Fuel Pump & DSX Aux Pump, NW 103 TB, FIC 1650's, Alky Meth, Circle D 3600 Triple Disc, Kooks Headers, Viking Coil Overs & all the BMR Goodies in the rear, Zl1 3.23 Diff, DSS Axles, Gulfcoast Driveshaft, Hendrix Offset Diff Bushings, AFE Solid Subframe Bushings, 875HP/843TQ 5FDP
Ashen 6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote