The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 03-16-2014, 10:08 AM   #29
Rico
Flying da helicopter

Drives: Black SS/RS
I don't fly planes, but our rules are the same. If you have loss of comms, you continue to what the last thing the ATC gave you. If there was a failure in your transponder, you would turn around if you can and they will figure it out that you can't respond. There's no way an aircraft with that many people would continue on a random flight path to no where and risk all of those lives. It's definitely crazy. I think it may have been hijacked or crashed. That's the only obvious answer.
Rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:12 AM   #30
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
the person who supposedly saw it on fire was in the area where it disappeared. if it went down in that area they would have found it by now.
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:14 AM   #31
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
I say hijacked.
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:27 AM   #32
BRcar

Drives: 13 zl1 crt convertible
I say hijacking gone bad, then crashing into the ocean.
BRcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:31 AM   #33
scott's45
Scott's45

Drives: 2012 2SS 45th Anniversary
My honest opinion is that it was stolen/hijacked. All of the passengers were probably killed, and the plane will be used in a big terrorist attack, possibly against the united states. No one has come out and taken credit for taking it, because they want everyone to believe it crashed. We will see it again, could be years, who knows, terrorists are very patient and deliberate.
2012 2SS 45th Anniversary, Hurst short throw shifter, Stainless Power LT headers, high flow cats, SW Retro Chambered 3" cat back, CAI, Heritage grill, tinted windows, red/silver hash stripes, AAC LED sidemarkers, blacked out turn signals/tail lights, splash guards. 402RWHP

scott's45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:43 PM   #34
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott's45 View Post
My honest opinion is that it was stolen/hijacked. All of the passengers were probably killed, and the plane will be used in a big terrorist attack, possibly against the united states. No one has come out and taken credit for taking it, because they want everyone to believe it crashed. We will see it again, could be years, who knows, terrorists are very patient and deliberate.
1) Steal a commercial jet
2) Throw some new paint on it
3) Load your nuclear weapon on it
4) Fly it over your intended target and detonate

No need to develop miniaturized warheads, ballistic missiles, or guidance systems. Besides, launching a missile raises red flags and gives away the launch site. Just a theory but it would be the simplest way for a terrorist organization to deliver a nuke and the most anonymous way for someone like North Korea or Iran to do it without putting their head on the chopping block.

It would be hard to hide a 777 on the ground so I would think they would want to move quickly. That is, unless it was flown onto a military air field with adequate hangars and security.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:49 PM   #35
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post

No need to develop miniaturized warheads, ballistic missiles, or guidance systems. Besides, launching a missile raises red flags and gives away the launch site. Just a theory but it would be the simplest way for a terrorist organization to deliver a nuke and the most anonymous way for someone like North Korea or Iran to do it without putting their head on the chopping block.

It would be hard to hide a 777 on the ground so I would think they would want to move quickly. That is, unless it was flown onto a military air field with adequate hangars and security.
I'm not sure that simply changing the aircraft's visual appearance is sufficient. There's schedules and transponders and ATC communication codes.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:05 PM   #36
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
I'm not sure that simply changing the aircraft's visual appearance is sufficient. There's schedules and transponders and ATC communication codes.
None of those things stopped someone from flying off with the plane in the first place. Who knows at this point?
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 01:08 PM   #37
ADIO SS

Drives: 2010 White SS/RS L99
Quote:

I am thinking the same
ADIO SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 01:19 PM   #38
mikeyg36

Quote:

That's ****ed up...
Old 03-16-2014, 01:20 PM   #39
Silverlsinva

Drives: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth Grigio
Quote:

Wouldn't be to attack the USA there too many radars and early warning detections that the plane wouldn't even get close enough to land I think to do anything like that what fighter plans scramble in less than 15 mins right?
Silverlsinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 01:21 PM   #40
mikeyg36

And people want defense cuts. That's a joke.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:54 PM   #41
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverlsinva View Post
Wouldn't be to attack the USA there too many radars and early warning detections that the plane wouldn't even get close enough to land I think to do anything like that what fighter plans scramble in less than 15 mins right?
That's what I was thinking. There would be a pretty quick response to an unidentified aircraft on radar that wasn't responding to ATC.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:57 PM   #42
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
The funny thing is for all the talking heads on tv saying it's not possible it could be stolen and used in an attack that's just the thing I've heard that they fear in the past year.
and as far as our defense budget...
We're $17 Trillion in the hole and all the money is in social security, medicare and defense.
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote