Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-13-2019, 09:41 PM   #15
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
Why does my intake look spotless without a CC?
Who knows.

I also run an L99 but with a CC and my intake was soaked inside.

The smell of hot oil was crazy at red lights and stop signs before my CC, and no I do not leak a drop. Never have.

But I do use TapShift nearly 100% and engine brake quite a bit.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:34 AM   #16
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
I’m constantly on the taps. With my foot in it. The Z/28 CAI has what appears to be a short ‘trap’ that extends down from the PCV inlet. Never have seen anything in there either. I’m pretty versed on why a CC exists. But I considered cow magnets on the fuel line to a carburetor once too. Just sayin...
Old 03-14-2019, 12:02 PM   #17
sixty9fordkiller
Donkey Dick Cam Camaro

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunchamp View Post
Why is a catch can needed on these cars in stock form? I mean I used to run these in my boosted applications, but seem to read here often that guys are doing this on bolt on cars. Just curious.
genIII and genIV motors are notorious for passing oil through the PCV system into the intake manifold at high rpms.

oil in the intake manifold will cause pinging, which will cause the ECM to pull timing, which = loss of horsepower

Bone Stock
sixty9fordkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 12:03 PM   #18
sixty9fordkiller
Donkey Dick Cam Camaro

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
Why does my intake look spotless without a CC?
how high do you spin it?

Bone Stock
sixty9fordkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 01:02 PM   #19
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixty9fordkiller View Post
how high do you spin it?
Honestly, most days I tap it out about 4500 rpm. Some days I let the car do the shifting and it’ll run it out to redline. But that’s a lot less frequently. I tend to get on it when the oil is new and taper off over time has its lifecycle drops.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:05 AM   #20
Blueovalman

Drives: 2012 V6 Camaro 2010 Camaro SS
The last time I took off my LS3 intake manifold I looked inside and I found oil contaminates inside the whole intake manifold because the last owner of our 2010 Camaro SS didn’t run a oil catch can numb skull I have to use octane booster and top tier gasoline regularly. Not all oil catch cans are good quality or created equally some leak oil due to poor quality. I love the dual Elite Engineering catch cans they are top notch quality.
Attached Images