Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-01-2008, 08:14 AM   #1
LSxcellent

Drives: MINI Cooper S
Is the Camaro a family car?

I am aiming this question primarily at folks who already have kids, (or are soon to) who are considering buying a Camaro.

Do you think the Camaro is a family car? Could you ACTUALLY use the back seat for kids? Could the trunk hold enough kid-stuff to be useful?

I am torn between the Camaro and Pontiac G8, but I think the Camaro is defintely sexier and I'd prefer to own it... but I plan on having a family in the near future so my brain says G8.

Thoughts?

~LSx
Old 08-01-2008, 08:28 AM   #2
a12ozbottle

Drives: 2006 GMC Yukon
I don't think you could call it a family car. Camaro back seats are usually difficult to get in and out of, and don't have much leg room. But, you can use the back seats they just aren't very comfortable for long rides. I have 2 kids and plan on taking them for short trips around town. But, if I plan on going out of town I will take the Yukon.
a12ozbottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 08:36 AM   #3
Design1stCode2nd

Drives: four wheels
Any coupe isn’t a family car. Now if you will only occasionally have them in the back for short trips and have a family car for the rest of the time then you should be fine. The only way I can have sports cars is because the wife has a mini-van. My only criteria is that the kids can fit in the back safely. I know at some point I’ll have to go to a larger car once they get big.
Design1stCode2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 08:42 AM   #4
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Who cares?! j/k

I don't really consider it a family car more than one we could jump in to go on a drive or something. Definately not something we could really travel in, at least for more than a weekend at a hotel or something. By looking at the interior specs', it seems like there is going to be more room about everywhere in the car, but I suspect although the rear seats will be more usable than the 4th. Gen., I just think it was practical to make them too usable.

We'll see.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 08:48 AM   #5
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
More so than the CORVETTE!
CamaroScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 08:53 AM   #6
LSxcellent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Design1stCode2nd View Post
Any coupe isn’t a family car. Now if you will only occasionally have them in the back for short trips and have a family car for the rest of the time then you should be fine. The only way I can have sports cars is because the wife has a mini-van. My only criteria is that the kids can fit in the back safely. I know at some point I’ll have to go to a larger car once they get big.
This was my first thought... but then I looked at how BIG the camaro is (its the size of a BMW 645i) and I started to wonder if it was a big-enough coupe to work with kids in the back...?

Not that my 'back up' plan is too shabby.. if I don't get a Camaro I'll get a G8 GXP this fall, or a Cadillac CTS. Both are fine cars and I'm sure they'll be awesome but I wanted to explore all my options.

~LSx
Old 08-01-2008, 08:54 AM   #7
Sierra

Drives: 2004 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4
You might be able to start a family in it, if you get my drift.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:18 AM   #8
LSxcellent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra View Post
You might be able to start a family in it, if you get my drift.
Kids in the Front Seat cause accidents
Accidents in the Back Seat cause kids.

~LSx
Old 08-01-2008, 09:20 AM   #9
Beelzebubba
cheap plastic member

Drives: Mazda6s
The G8?

I'm absolutely certain that it is a wonderful performer.

But the styling? Meh Is that the new Pontiac Grand Prix? The same W-chassis they've been selling since 1987?

As far as a family car? My wife used to have an Eclipse GT and I used to have an Integra GS-R and a 4th gen Camaro. We both now have 4 doors. With small children, you can use a 2 door BUT getting babies and toddlers in and out of their car seats is SO much easier with another pair of doors in back.

Your back will thank you.

But for a new Camaro? I'll take an occasional kick in the kidneys from a bored 4 year old.
Beelzebubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:31 AM   #10
Robert91RS

Drives: Everywhere
Quote:
Is that the new Pontiac Grand Prix? The same W-chassis they've been selling since 1987?
No, it's built on the same Zeta platform as the Camaro and is an excellent alternative.

As far as a family car, not realy but if it was me I would try to make it work.
Robert91RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:38 AM   #11
Beelzebubba
cheap plastic member

Drives: Mazda6s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert91RS View Post
No, it's built on the same Zeta platform as the Camaro and is an excellent alternative.

As far as a family car, not realy but if it was me I would try to make it work.
Oh, I know that....I was making fun of it's styling.
It looks a lot like the old front drive Grand Prix. They really didn't spend a lot of time coming up with a newer better appearance on it.

"Is that a G8?"

"Nahh that's a Grand Prix."

"Are you sure, it sounds like a V8"

"yeah, the last Grand Prixs had a 5.3 V8 availiable....get him to do a burnout and see which tires smoke. If it lights up the back tires, then it's a G8."
Beelzebubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:46 AM   #12
Robert91RS

Drives: Everywhere
Quote:
Oh, I know that....I was making fun of it's styling.
Oh, duh! Sorry I'm still a little slow this morning. Anywho, LSx think of it as a favor to your children. They get the privlage of riding in a 5th gen Camaro and you know you will boost there social status at school too.
Robert91RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:59 AM   #13
Shifty 6

Drives: 2010 GTI
I have small children (for now) I plan on getting the Camaro. If you were putting them in the back every day with carriers, I will tell you that would be tough on the ol back. By the time the car gets here I will have a 2 and 3 year old. They car climb back there on their own and we just have to buckle them. My wife has an Xterra as the main kiddie transporter (still a manual trans - is she awesome or what?). The G8 GXP is a great alternative. I don't think it will disappoint.
Shifty 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:46 AM   #14
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
It's not that big...a few inches above a Mustang...and the same interior room. Would you consider a Mustang a family car?

But I think it will be a good practical car (groceries, trips, luggage, etc), if not a family-oriented one.