Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 05-07-2014, 08:53 PM   #1
Slayer1677

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Detailing in sunlight

What's everyone's thoughts on this? I hear a lot of mixed reviews...I am somewhat limited on garage space now after moving. Debating doing a full detail outdoors...kind of don't want to though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-07-2014, 09:01 PM   #2
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
It can be done, but it's much harder. Last resort.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Old 05-07-2014, 09:26 PM   #3
Slayer1677

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
It can be done, but it's much harder. Last resort.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Is it due to compound drying quickly in the sunlight primarily???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-07-2014, 09:30 PM   #4
13lstuner

Drives: 2013 2LS BLK
Yes all of your polishes will flash quicker. Sealants/waxes will dry quicker making it harder to buff off etc. As CD07 said last resort.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:46 PM   #5
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
Noon till 4 are the killer hours... other than that the only real pain is getting glass perfect... can't clean hot glass properly... also a cheep canopy helps a lot...
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:56 PM   #6
13lstuner

Drives: 2013 2LS BLK
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post
Noon till 4 are the killer hours... other than that the only real pain is getting glass perfect... can't clean hot glass properly... also a cheep canopy helps a lot...
I agree. If you have a pull up canopy that would help significantly.
But unless you want to be polishing in to the wee hours of the morning you will need to start early that morning. This would put you polishing at the noon timeframe. I wouldn't reccomend doing this outside unless you have no other choice. Plus, you will be sweating like crazy.

You could split it up into multiple days you would just need to wash you car each time prior to working on it.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:59 AM   #7
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Not impossible, but it definitely stacks the deck against you.

Everything flashes faster, and removal can often be more difficult. Clay can get sticky if panels are above 120-130*. Paste waxes need to be removed almost immediately.

Just be sure to work in even smaller sections that normal and you'll be fine. Just be prepared to work quickly and a little harder than in a garage.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:11 AM   #8
ec1990

Drives: 2012 AGM SS
Early morning is your best chance.
ec1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:48 AM   #9
DylanVK

Drives: a few
As already mentioned... can be done, just isn't ideal.

Products will behave differently, flash off prematurely, dry too quick, etc due to the added heat on the panel.

Work earlier in the day or later in the afternoon/evening when the sun is low in the sky. Use shade as much as possible - even consider investing a little $$$ in a pop up shelter to shade the parts of the car you're working on. For $100-$200 you can find a nice 10x10 pop up at places like Dick's sporting goods... obviously not big enough to shied the entire car, but you can move it to provide shade on the areas you're working.

1967 C/10 PROJECT TRUCK | DETAILING EXPERT | CRAFT BEER ENTHUSIAST
DylanVK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:27 PM   #10
Slayer1677

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@SCG View Post
As already mentioned... can be done, just isn't ideal.

Products will behave differently, flash off prematurely, dry too quick, etc due to the added heat on the panel.

Work earlier in the day or later in the afternoon/evening when the sun is low in the sky. Use shade as much as possible - even consider investing a little $$$ in a pop up shelter to shade the parts of the car you're working on. For $100-$200 you can find a nice 10x10 pop up at places like Dick's sporting goods... obviously not big enough to shied the entire car, but you can move it to provide shade on the areas you're working.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@Adams View Post

Everything flashes faster, and removal can often be more difficult. Clay can get sticky if panels are above 120-130*. Paste waxes need to be removed almost immediately.

Just be sure to work in even smaller sections that normal and you'll be fine. Just be prepared to work quickly and a little harder than in a garage.
Thanks for the tips guys. Always appreciated. Looks like I may be just sticking in the garage and coping with the limited space.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:50 PM   #11
HollyVenus
The girl with the 2 Danes

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@Adams View Post

I just got my clay kit!!! and holy COW... love this stuff!!!
I am definitely an Adams girl now!

claying it though showed me a couple of goobers and I have put the paint corrector in my cart!!!
Old 05-08-2014, 02:13 PM   #12
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer1677 View Post
Thanks for the tips guys. Always appreciated. Looks like I may be just sticking in the garage and coping with the limited space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyVenus View Post
I just got my clay kit!!! and holy COW... love this stuff!!!
I am definitely an Adams girl now!

claying it though showed me a couple of goobers and I have put the paint corrector in my cart!!!
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:54 PM   #13
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Good stuff mentioned but I should add:

Make sure the car is cool first. Rinsing with cool water is good prep before doing anything with chemicals, but make sure the panels aren't hot to the touch (especially darker colors).

Outside is possible, and if you are near a building, try to do it where the car (and you) can be fully shaded. If you have a way to attach a tarp to the side of the building, you can rig up a sheltered space pretty easily that can also get some air under it.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:56 PM   #14
JTruck

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT/RS
Living in AZ I have to deal with this sometimes... It's a pain in the ass to say the least. Extends everything x2.