The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 04-07-2014, 03:53 PM   #1
Stingray
just can't get enough

Drives: a bunch of fast toys...
2015 Stingray to offer 8-Speed Automatic!

GM's Press Release today:
2015 Corvette Stingray to Offer Eight-Speed Automatic.
Paddle-shift gearbox rivals dual-clutch performance, enhances efficiency.

DETROIT – An eight-speed paddle-shift automatic transmission will be offered in the Chevrolet Corvette Stingray for 2015, enhancing the performance and efficiency of the 2014 North American Car of the Year. Designed and built by GM, the new transmission delivers world-class shift times that rival the best dual-clutch designs.

The all-new, GM-designed 8L90 eight-speed is expected to contribute up to 5-percent greater efficiency, when compared to the previous six-speed automatic. EPA fuel economy test results are pending and will be announced later. It also makes the Corvette Stingray one of the few sports cars to offer the choice of a conventional manual transmission or an eight-speed automatic.

"Corvette Stingray's new eight-speed automatic delivers the comfort and drivability of a true automatic transmission, as well as lightning-fast shifts and the manual control that enhance the performance-driving experience," said Bill Goodrich, assistant chief engineer for eight-speed automatic transmissions. "It was designed to enhance the Stingray's driving experience, with performance on par with dual-clutch designs, but without sacrificing refinement."

The available 8L90 transmission is based on the same eight-speed automatic that will be offered on the supercharged 2015 Corvette Z06, but with unique clutch and torque converter specifications matched to the torque capacity of the Stingray's LT1 6.2L naturally aspirated engine.

For performance driving, the transmission offers full manual control via steering wheel paddles. A new transmission-control system and unique algorithms deliver shift performance that rivals the dual-clutch/semi-automatic transmissions found in many supercars – but with the smoothness and refinement that comes with a conventional automatic fitted with a torque converter.

The transmission controller analyzes and executes commands 160 times per second. Wide-open throttle upshifts are executed up to eight-hundredths of a second quicker than those of the dual-clutch transmission offered in the Porsche 911.

Smaller steps between gears, compared to the previous six-speed automatic, keep the engine within the sweet spot of the rpm band, making the most of its horsepower and torque to optimize performance and efficiency.

With four gearsets and five clutches, creative packaging enables the new eight-speed automatic to fit the same space as the previous six-speed automatic. Extensive use of aluminum and magnesium make it more than eight pounds, or 4 kg, lighter than the six-speed. Design features that reduce friction contribute to the expected 5-percent greater efficiency.

The 8L90 is built at GM's Toledo, Ohio, transmission facility.

(8-spd auto as seen in the C7 Z06)

Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 05:53 PM   #2
m3incorp

Drives: Buying 2014 Stingray
Very interesting!
m3incorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:26 PM   #3
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Thankfully Chevy is going to install the 8 speed auto in the new 2015 Corvette. I am very grateful that they are not going to wait until the 2016 model. If it truly can out perform a PDK transmission, it is going to be a heck of of a transmission.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:19 PM   #4
C7Driver

Drives: 2014 Z51 Lime Rock Green
I would have loved to get an 8-speed auto but I'm glad I didn't wait until the 2015 model to get it. I'm happy with my A6 and look forward to actual reviews of the new 8-speed tranny. Nothing says I can't keep my Stingray a year or two and buy another one!
C7Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:59 PM   #5
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
So is this better than a manual?

What's the % hp drop with going with this tranny vs. manual?
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:14 PM   #6
BRCC
BRCC Webmaster

Drives: 2017 GS 3LT Sterling Blue/Gray Int
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post
So is this better than a manual?

What's the % hp drop with going with this tranny vs. manual?
Why would one care, the A6 already out performs the M7 in the quarter and not bad on a road course.
BRCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:28 PM   #7
dhh62fuelie

Drives: 2012 Audi A5 2.0T Cabriolet
I have an 8-speed auto in my A5, and absolutely love it. I'm very excited to see this in the Vette!
dhh62fuelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:37 PM   #8
thrilled

Drives: 1LT
About the 8 speed

The 8 speed automatic will be in the 2015.But let me get this straight you will still be able to get A 7 speed manual is that correct?
thrilled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 08:54 PM   #9
bmxbaddy

Drives: Corvette
Does anyone have any idea what kind mpg bump the new 8 speed will provide? are we just looking at 1 or 2 mpg or something greater?
bmxbaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 05:56 PM   #10
Steven Bell

Drives: 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray
Love it-I would LOVE to see it better the Porsche PDK.
Steven Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 06:22 PM   #11
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxbaddy View Post
Does anyone have any idea what kind mpg bump the new 8 speed will provide? are we just looking at 1 or 2 mpg or something greater?
GM stated a 5% increase in MPG or about 1.5 MPG. It might break 30 MPG Highway when the EPA stats come out later this year.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:54 PM   #12
dhh62fuelie

Good article from Hot Rod:

http://www.hotrod.com/feature_storie...social30127156
Old 08-22-2014, 09:54 AM   #13
dhh62fuelie

Here's a road test review:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review