The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 11-13-2013, 05:59 PM   #1
sphynix06

Drives: 2014 Corvette 3LT Z51
Dilemma...Sell or Store

Guys, I have good news and bad news.

Good news:
I was offered a promotion today.

Bad news:
I have to move to Trinidad in January and my agency only pays for transport of one vehicle and will only pay to have one vehicle certified for road use.

I could either ship my C7 or my truck. If I take my truck then I would have to sell my C7 or store it long term (2 yrs).

Due to work, I know that I will need more room in a vehicle while in Trini so shipping the truck would be the most sensible option, but I want really want to have my C7 there with me, but paying the shipping/import taxes and fees to transport, plus getting it certified to drive in a right hand drive country is cost prohibitive.

I am trying to decide what to do. Sell or store long term. If I sell then I would need to get payoff. If I store then I have to keep it insured in storage while continuing to pay the note.

Thoughts?

Artic White 3LT Z51
sphynix06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:08 PM   #2
jackka

Drives: 2011 Black/Black 2LT/RS M6 w/Sroof
Can't you buy a cheap truck there locally?

Just ship your C7 and buy a truck for use when you get there locally if you can. Is it not easy to buy a cheap truck from Trinadad?

If not, selling it is better than storing it for 2 years, I think.
jackka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:16 PM   #3
Z-07 freak
Slammin' all six gears

Drives: 1991 Z-07 Corvette 2006 YZF-R6
Decline the promotion.
Z-07 freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:59 PM   #4
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackka View Post
Can't you buy a cheap truck there locally?

Just ship your C7 and buy a truck for use when you get there locally if you can. Is it not easy to buy a cheap truck from Trinadad?

If not, selling it is better than storing it for 2 years, I think.
He said the costs for registration are too much. Unless he wants to just keep it unregistered then that's an option.

Letting a $51k+ car sit for 2 years is not a good idea. Maybe you could intrust it to someone to drive it every week or so for a little to keep it in good condition?
Old 11-13-2013, 08:40 PM   #5
Stingray
just can't get enough

Drives: a bunch of fast toys...
I'll volunteer as an intrust'er.
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:23 AM   #6
sphynix06

Drives: 2014 Corvette 3LT Z51
Thanks for the words of wisdom guys. I did some further research and decided that storing the car for that period of time will cause mechanical problems and letting someone car sit would be too much of in insurance liability. Additionally, it's going to cost me $6,263.13 to ship, pay taxes and fees.

With all that in mind I have decided to sell and see what's on the market in 2016; maybe the Z07...lol

So, if anyone is looking to purchase an AW 3LT Z51 with light mods and around 600 miles. Let me know.
Thanks so much!

Artic White 3LT Z51
sphynix06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 03:16 PM   #7
CaptainChet

Drives: 2010 Corvette Coupe -Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by sphynix06 View Post
Thanks for the words of wisdom guys. I did some further research and decided that storing the car for that period of time will cause mechanical problems and letting someone car sit would be too much of in insurance liability. Additionally, it's going to cost me $6,263.13 to ship, pay taxes and fees.

With all that in mind I have decided to sell and see what's on the market in 2016; maybe the Z07...lol

So, if anyone is looking to purchase an AW 3LT Z51 with light mods and around 600 miles. Let me know.
Thanks so much!

Take some photos (good ones), list the specs and advertise in the For Sale section on her and on the other forum. I'm sure you will have no problem selling it if you understand it is a USED car! I'll look for it there.
CaptainChet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 03:36 PM   #8
ec1990

Drives: 2012 AGM SS
You could probably get msrp back for the vehicle at this point. or just a couple grand under what you paid.

I say sell it rather than store it, there are companies that you can pay to store your cars but I've only heard iffy things about it.
ec1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:38 PM   #9
Steven Bell

Drives: 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray
Sorry to hear you have to let go of her.
Steven Bell is offline   Reply With Quote