Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-02-2007, 02:49 PM   #1
JMROD

Drives: 2SS RS ABM "Bumbleblue"
Past Camaro reliability and Future 5th Gen

Whats up All.

This is my first post. I have been reading these forums for a few months now since I fell for the 5th Gen. Little background info: I have always been an Amercan muscle fan. I have never owned or driven anything with more power than a V6 ('89-Boneville). I have driven hand me downs and am currently driving a '98 Chevy Cav for commuting. When I saw the Camaro Concept I knew I must get one. It will be the first car I ever purchase. I have been doing lots of reading and research on its history and history of american automotive in general. I am eager to learn and have found this webiste very helpful.

Down to my question. The only thing thats concerning me with my plans to get the new Camaros is reliability. How have the previous generations (more so the 4th) done in this area? I feel history may be a good forecaster as to the 5th gen reliabity. Thanks in advance for helpful feedback.
JMROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 03:14 PM   #2
AirGoya

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
I cant help you cause ive never had a camaro let alone drive one, but in general new GM cars are pretty reliable. If you treat them well and give them attention, they will treat you well.

AirGoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 04:05 PM   #3
Urthman
Future Camaro Owner

Drives: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4dr
I had an 85 Z28 (3rd gen) that never had any problems. My sister had both 3rd and 4th gens and never had any issues with them either.

The only problem both of us had with our cars was keeping tires on them!
Urthman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 04:19 PM   #4
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I've heard 4th Gen stories of Cars that have gotten 300,000 miles on them and still ran okay. I guess, like AirGoya said, it largely depends on how you treat it. Do you take it out in Winters often? Do you Power-shift, when you shouldn't?
My '79 Camaro is completely stock, never replaced anything, and it still runs with minor tune ups. But then again, it has only seen one winter, and it still has under 60,000 miles...

But in general, I would consider the Camaros of the past, and I expect the future model to be a very Well-put-together vehicle.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:16 PM   #5
Warghost

Drives: Camaros & Mustangs
Owning a Mustang, I know that American cars can surpass 100K miles just as easily as any import car can. I 've never paid much attention to GM's quality ratings and performance, but I would like to know more. Specifically how they compare to Ford's. I'm not completely satisfied with the quality of some little things in my 04 GT, yet my 99 GT never gave me a problem.

Does anyone here know how the quality and longterm dependability compares between Ford and GM?
Warghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 06:27 PM   #6
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
There's no way to rate the possibilities of the 5th gen.

On one hand, it's a completely brand new chassis, body....hell the whole car is un-tested by the general consumer. Generally a scary time for any car-maker.

On the other, this is without a doubt the biggest thing GM has done in many many years, and Bob lutz has to know this. They are undoubtedly putting HUGE efforts into ironing out all the details before release, which is painful to wait for, but hopefully we reap the rewards of having a solidly built and long-lasting love affair.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 06:54 PM   #7
marczsport
GM Forever!

Drives: 06' Envoy ; 05' Impala
Send a message via AIM to marczsport

Although I didn't have my 01' SS for very long, she gave me about 20,000 fairly hard miles in a 13 month period. I suspect with the current emphasis on offering long powertrain warrantees, they'll want to get it right from the get-go.

I do have much more experience with other gens, logging 147,000 miles on an 86' IROC and 133,000 miles on a 78' LT. I replaced the brake pads, tires, and alternators on both, but that was about it.
marczsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 08:12 PM   #8
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Drives: Gunmetal
I don't know about reliability, but I do know that GM's for the most part are relatively cheap to maintain(which to some is more important, like me). I'm not worried about reliability personally, don't know why, maybe I'm just too trusting of GM. If you want to get an "idea" for the reliability of the zeta platform, check out ratings for the Commdore on some of the Aussie car sites, like Drive.com.au(http://http://www.drive.com.au/)

Last edited by Scotsman; 08-02-2007 at 08:48 PM.
Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 08:15 PM   #9
Casull

Drives: Chevy Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMROD View Post
Down to my question. The only thing thats concerning me with my plans to get the new Camaros is reliability. How have the previous generations (more so the 4th) done in this area? I feel history may be a good forecaster as to the 5th gen reliabity. Thanks in advance for helpful feedback.

I don't see how the previous generation Camaros can be a predictor of the 5th gen. Not only will the 5th gen be built on a brand new architecture, but GM has changed a lot since 2002.
Casull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 08:17 PM   #10
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
3 Years and 32,000 miles with my 2002 Camaro V6

It had the window motors replaced every summer. (Common problem.)

Wouldn't start for me once at the gas station... It was some relay IIRC that needed to be replaced.

7 weeks after the bumper to bumper warranty ran out the fuel pump died. Luckily they still went ahead and covered it due to the mileage being less than 36,000 and it ONLY being 7 weeks out of warranty.

That said, I traded it 2 weeks later. I don't like to own a vehicle that's not under Bumper to Bumper warranty. And that fuel pump was the incentive I needed to get worried.

Now, I've had my Aveo just over 2 years and have 16,400 miles.

3 weeks ago it wouldn't start for me at work. Needed a new ECM.

My warranty will be up next April on the Aveo. I can only HOPE nothing goes wrong with it 'til I can get a new Camaro. Otherwise I'm screwed.

And, no, I've never even owned a vehicle with over 100,000 miles.... LOL
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 08:34 PM   #11
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllwynX View Post
3 Years and 32,000 miles with my 2002 Camaro V6

It had the window motors replaced every summer. (Common problem.)

Wouldn't start for me once at the gas station... It was some relay IIRC that needed to be replaced.

7 weeks after the bumper to bumper warranty ran out the fuel pump died. Luckily they still went ahead and covered it due to the mileage being less than 36,000 and it ONLY being 7 weeks out of warranty.

That said, I traded it 2 weeks later. I don't like to own a vehicle that's not under Bumper to Bumper warranty. And that fuel pump was the incentive I needed to get worried.
That's most definitely not good.

Quote:
Now, I've had my Aveo just over 2 years and have 16,400 miles.

3 weeks ago it wouldn't start for me at work. Needed a new ECM.

My warranty will be up next April on the Aveo. I can only HOPE nothing goes wrong with it 'til I can get a new Camaro. Otherwise I'm screwed.

And, no, I've never even owned a vehicle with over 100,000 miles.... LOL
Screwed for what??? I look forward to my car going over 100k, they're built to run even longer!!! (Volvo owner here= 03' S60 2.4T Sport)
Old 08-02-2007, 08:35 PM   #12
AirGoya

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
I dont wanna jinx it (knock on wood) but almost every car has little bugs when they first come out the first year. would you guys agree?

AirGoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 08:41 PM   #13
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirGoya View Post
I dont wanna jinx it (knock on wood) but almost every car has little bugs when they first come out the first year. would you guys agree?
+1. Absolutely. Unfortunately I think most people are under the illusion that there's such a thing as a "perfect" car, hate to break it to those types, but as long as it's man made it's going to break, or has the potential to, at least. Now we can assume certain things to be true of cars from certain countries of origin based upon history and experience, at the same time though nothing is for certain. I've read reliability horror stories for Lexus and Acura(among other Japanese makes), and everyone assumes that because a car is "Japanese" it's never going to "let me down", which simply isn't true. Find what you like and can afford, take a chance. That's all you can do.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:34 PM   #14
Dark Knight
Does it come in BLACK?

Drives: 2001 FIREBIRD (for now!!)
Send a message via Yahoo to Dark Knight
2001 Firebird here and i can vouch that they hold up.

It's about to turn over 179k(i drive and hour to and from work) and still runs fine. Biggest issue i have had is the fuel pump went out. Other minor things like rear main seal having a small leak and different stuff but nothing huge and nothing i couldn't fix myself.

My first car was a 88 thunderbird and because of the crappy sway bar it ended up hugging a tree 6months after i had it. Every car/truck i have owened after that has been a GM and they have always treated me good. It's the biggest reason why i stick with GM. And i think the Camaro is gonna be EXTREMELY realiable...i mean hell it should be with the amount of time they are taking on it.

Good things come to those who wait
Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote