Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 03-18-2014, 06:36 PM   #15
2011 RJT

Drives: 2011 RJT/RS
I like the fact that SCG products are available at local stores. If I need something,I just go get it. I love the nano glaze and seal. Just wish it would last longer and dry clear so I don't have to tape or use a toothbrush to get the white residue out of cracks. A time saver.
I also like the scratch remover,but you need one for major jobs and PC use.
The Hot Rod detail spray IMO is very good.
Trying the Black line now. Weather here is crazy. But I did try the code red,so far I'm impressed.
I think a resin based product like Opticoat,thats easier to use,is forgiving and is really cost effective.
2011 RJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:17 PM   #16
camaro2ssblack

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS - Black on Black
Make the products truly effective yet affordable and you have my attention. The paint correction system should be capable of handling most degrees of damage, while staying user friendly. The shampoo, rinseless wash and cleaners should be highly concentrated without overlap. The LSPs should be pleasant to use and offer varying degrees of protection. One sealant, one wax, and one coating would be ideal. The accessories should be durable and affordable. And I know you will offer real world video and picture tutorials and demos to illustrate the simplicity and versatility of the products.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:30 PM   #17
13lstuner

Drives: 2013 2LS BLK
Quote:
Originally Posted by ec1990 View Post
I think that depends on the market and mindset of that market. If I'm someone who goes specifically to Autozone and such, value and good enough applies, if I'm someone who actively researches it or goes to forums for advice and product support, then effectiveness takes a higher priority.
I completely agree with that. Let me make myself slightly more clear. Most people set a limit on there effectiveness:value ratio. I was not speaking of the people that are looking for "good enough", I was more so speaking about the people that don't put the last 5-10% of effectiveness as a priority when the price skyrockets. If you could delve into that last little but of effectiveness and not gouge the crap out of the consumer with price then you have a lot of good things going for you in my opinion. Again just my thoughts.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:32 PM   #18
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
I have absolutely no idea which products you guys are referring to with this massive price jump to get superior effectiveness.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Old 03-19-2014, 01:05 PM   #19
DylanVK

Drives: a few
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
I have absolutely no idea which products you guys are referring to with this massive price jump to get superior effectiveness.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
There are certain categories (active wheel cleaners for example) where raw materials to make the stuff are only available from a very limited few sources, and they're expensive. It is, to some degree a level playing field as far as cost to produce.

Where I think some people get tripped up is comparing something like an active wheel cleaner to a non active. Sure they're both wheel cleaners, but that active ingredient adds a pretty substantial cost to the manufacturing so for that added de-ironing property and performance you'll be substantially higher prices.

Its really an apples and oranges comparison that not everyone is going to understand.
DylanVK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 02:09 PM   #20
flyinlow89
Smoke Alotapotomous

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I agree. From the different brands I've used: adams, black fire, sonax, optimum, Meg's, etc etc...I can't remember last time I paid up for a product and was disappointed with it. I think most of them are pretty on par with price. For me when I say I want 'value' I don't mean I want a $40 wax for $20. I wanna pay $60 and get a wax that performs as such or better. I don't have a problem paying top dollar, I just want it to work accordingly.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:55 PM   #21
CamaroJim56
Obsessed

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS RS
Shipping is covered.... Amazon carries your products, and the shipping can be covered by Prime.

I agree with all above posts in most aspects. I myself have not fallen to any particular brand, but have a couple of go to ones for what I perceive as value foe my money.

I like to try a small bottle of something, for a reasonable price, and if I like it, I buy the gallon.

I want value, and effectiveness. I want a $20 product, to be worth $20, not "as effective" as a $10 product from someone else.

Hope this helps, just my 2 cents.

Jim

2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
CamaroJim56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:01 PM   #22
Todd in Vancouver

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1Dan View Post
This is a well thought out post. Dylan, I am a DIYer. I detail my cars as therapy. I like the Adam's product because they are simple to use. It is a great system. Color coded for dummies like me. I have no clue who has the better chemicals and what makes a better shine. I really don't. But I know when I break out the Porter Cable, I know what color bottle and pad to pull out with it. And I know what to do next, etc. And in the end, I am satisfied with the results. Please keep us DIYers in mind--like I know you will.

I am a newbie to all this, and am watching for some cool stuff from Surf City!
Exactly this ^^^^

I went to buy some stuff for my interior and my mind was just blow. No system where I was at on what I needed or worked with what. I need it easy - 1;2;3. In this order use this stuff and it is designed to work together.

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Todd in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:53 PM   #23
CamaroJim56
Obsessed

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS RS
This thread should not be dying yet, the man needs assistance.

Help him out....

2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
CamaroJim56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:25 PM   #24
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
I want a detailer that will also clean glass and fabric, dress vinyl leather and plastic and in a pinch shine the tires... I'm joking but really I am not. I counted up the number of chemicals and tools I used on my last cut and polish and the number was over 50!!
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:51 PM   #25
AmericanMuscleCars
Teenage Dream Camaro

Drives: A Visually Stunning Camaro
I don't know, like I said in my previous post make a product line that is just totally BA. I don't want to look at a "team" (company) and see both their 2nd and 3rd string products I want to see who or what they have to "start" the game. I don't want to get confused or lost in the 2nd and 3rd string products, cut those things. Make the best of one product and leave it at that. Maybe make in all in one cleaner like an exterior detail spray that can dress rubber, vinyl, and do interiors. Don't just keep the 2nd and 3rd string products around because their parents donate money to the team (company) occasionally. A little analogy i guess, hope that made sense. And yes I am talking about buttery wax. Also, I love videos. I can watch them for hours on end!
AmericanMuscleCars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:55 PM   #26
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
Sun friendly products would sell VERY well.... don't know if the chemistry is there.
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 12:34 AM   #27
ec1990

Drives: 2012 AGM SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post
Sun friendly products would sell VERY well.... don't know if the chemistry is there.
Poorboy's already has that market covered.
ec1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 04:10 AM   #28
thkfast

Drives: '14 Red 2SS/RS/LS3
I too have 25 FULL bottles of crap sitting in my polish/wax cabinet. As it turns out, they were all mostly ineffective. What I use a lot of and keep buying over and over again is cleaner/wax (AIO type polishes) for the daily drivers I work on, tons of spray-on tire dressing, quick spray-on waxes and detail sprays and basic car wash soap.

I do like a proven step 1, step 2, step 3 marketing approach. If you buy this, this and this you'll get great results and here's a video to show how to do it. Although I've never bought any of Adam's products, due to cost, I really appreciate the videos on their website that show exactly how to use their products.

Griot's Garage is in my opinion the devil reincarnate - and I fell for it and bought their $300 detailers kit. 8,000 different products created for rediculous purposes (Q-tips for wheels, a specific microfiber towel for use on dirty areas, dedicated window cleaning cloths), their polishes don't work, way too much overlap along the product line, they're expensive and the company has a real "Elitist" attitude.

Pre-packaged kits are nice as long as they are not "padded" with useless crap.

The Amazon.com suggestion makes sense.

The biggest problem I see is the market is so saturated with detailer products it'll be hard to be noticed.

Buckets, wash mitts, spray bottles, applicators, pads, machines tailor made to your products is a good thing.

Keep the line SIMPLE, affordable and effective...and a discount for Camaro5
thkfast is offline   Reply With Quote