Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-11-2007, 04:35 PM   #15
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
the order of things is Concept->Prototype->Pre-Production->Final Production

Differences are that a concept is merely an idea, nothing needs to work. Prototypes are fully functional, but need testing and some tweaks. Pre-production is exactly the same as the final production in terms of the dimensions of parts, but the parts are all specially made and assembled by hand. Final production is what we can start buying in 2009. The good news is that to go from one stage to another takes progressively less time. it took nearly 2 years to go from concept to prototype. Pre production cars will be appearing in about 6 months. The final production one will be about 6 months after that.

The camaro is on its way.

Oh, and I wouldn't read too far into the 'big v8' comment. Consider how many engines are under 3L. So a big V8 nowadays is any v8 over 5L. surprising considering that the first Z/28 had a 'small' 302 cu (4.9L) engine
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 04:43 PM   #16
z28camaro2471
C5 Member #227

Drives: Camaros
Well now we know there is a prototype. That's freakin' awesome. Hopefully some pics will be leaked soon!! This is even better than seeing the concept, now they have something that can actually be driven hard. Not some pieced together semi functional trailer queen.
z28camaro2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 06:01 PM   #17
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
It's gonna be wierd switching over....I mean, from saying 'concept' to 'prototype'. I've learned to type concept so quickly.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:25 PM   #18
Casull

Drives: Chevy Silverado
Wow.... this is exactly what we have been waiting to hear since the Detroit autoshow in 2006! Finally, now we can look forward to having more to talk that the same old speculation!
Casull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 06:36 PM   #19
Pencil.Fight

Drives: '06 Mustang
Send a message via Yahoo to Pencil.Fight
I think that GM will release a torrent of information on the New Camaro either during or right after the Chicago Auto Show. That way the Challenger has already been revealed to the Public and GM can try to take the spotlight away with its superior specs and features on the Camaro. Thinking as a marketing guy (which I'm not), that's what makes the most sense to me.
Pencil.Fight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 01:36 AM   #20
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
This is some great news!!! You know...it's so nice to finally get some good info on this and see it progress. I can't wait to see some soon to be released spy shots!

Turn the key....good point. Hopefully it's just a turn key on the prototype. I'd love that push button for my Camaro.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 07:45 AM   #21
Jak

Drives: 03 Dodge Dakota
According to allpar.com, the challenger's gonna have keyless entry/ignition, so I don't see why we couldn't get it for or Camaro. The other thing I noticed is that challengers not coming with a spare tire, thought that was kinda odd.
Jak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 09:15 AM   #22
Dan

Drives: 2004 GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jak View Post
According to allpar.com, the challenger's gonna have keyless entry/ignition, so I don't see why we couldn't get it for or Camaro. The other thing I noticed is that challengers not coming with a spare tire, thought that was kinda odd.
The tires/suspension probably couldn't handle any more weight.....
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 11:25 AM   #23
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post

This is how they make it sound like it's less heavy than it really is. "ummm....well, boss....we couldn't figure out how to shave off any more weight." "WHAT??? IT's already 4,200 lbs!!!" "Well, we can get rid of the spare tire and jack?" "DO IT!"
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 11:28 AM   #24
Pencil.Fight

Drives: '06 Mustang
Send a message via Yahoo to Pencil.Fight
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Turn the key....good point. Hopefully it's just a turn key on the prototype. I'd love that push button for my Camaro.
It's possible, but then why even mention that a key was being turned in the first place? Most likely Bob was getting us ready for the eventual announcement of a turn key ignition. Who knows?

I agree, I'd love to have a push button start. The plastic around my ignition is really scratched up from the other keys on my keychain swinging around.
Pencil.Fight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 12:07 PM   #25
SoFlaZ

Drives: 2013 SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jak View Post
The other thing I noticed is that challengers not coming with a spare tire, thought that was kinda odd.
Maybe it'll come with run-flats like the vette?
SoFlaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 10:35 PM   #26
Jak

Drives: 03 Dodge Dakota
Could be right, I remember that picture awhile back with about six guys pushing it down the road, gas tank'll probably be an option too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Jak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 11:00 PM   #27
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
LMAO!!
Old 10-13-2007, 12:21 AM   #28
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Man, I can't get over how heavy the Challenger is supposed to be. I was looking aroung and found this
Quote:
The concept car has a 116 inch wheelbase, while the other LXs use a 120 inch wheelbase; but it’s a custom-made, carbon-fiber-bodied one-off concept car. The 1970 Challenger was 191 inches long (with a 110 inch wheelbase); the concept is 198 inches, and two inches wider than the original. Built by Metalcrafters, it weighs 4,160 pounds.
Challenger Info That can't be right. Carbon fiber body and STILL over 2 tons!. Even if the Camaro comes in at a fat 3750 lbs, thats still 400 shy of the Challenger's projected weight. THAT means that the base V8 Camaro will likely give a SRT8 6.1L Challenger a good run. Its almost not fair. Almost
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote