Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-13-2007, 09:25 PM   #1
JeepinMatt

Drives: '99 Wrangler
Camaro Weight

Hey just dropping in for my first post here. Been looking through the Camaro sites for info lately and I've been wanting to bring up a point for a while now. I'm concerned about the weight of the Camaro and far as I know, the speculation is pegging that number at around 3600 lbs. I don't just want a drag strip king, I want a more than competent road racer. I would forego the supercharger if it is offered. Rather, I'd use the money saved to take the N/A LS3, bore and stroke it, then maybe a better cam and heads. I'm thinking of how to shed excess weight. I don't really mind tossing the A/C (don't use it in my Jeep, just the window) or the stereo (never turn it on in the vette, would rather hear the engine). The back seat can go, too. So can the heavy(relatively?) stock wheels. I assume there will be some chassis related things such as tubular k-members and a-arms to further cut down on weight. Lighter exhaust and seats. Ditch the spare and the jack, add a lightweight hood and that takes care of the easy stuff. I'm wondering how low you could get that weight, while still keeping it streetable (stock interior, minus seats, and carpet) once you take into account all the little things to cut down on weight. I'm just worried about how the weight increase will affect handling, even though the new M3 weighs roughly 3650 and the last generation Skyline GT-R weighed the same.
JeepinMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 09:52 PM   #2
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
First. Welcome! Glad you chose to join in and I hope you enjoy the site.

As for the new Camaro, yes, weight has been a concern. :( But I'm confident in feeling that it'll come to market with enough performance to keep it ahead of it's rivals.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 10:05 PM   #3
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Also welcome to the site. It will all pan out just fine. GM won't burn themselves w/ putting out such a heavy car that it can't perform. And yes, there will be a # of aftermarket companies who will jump on the bandwagon to build lighter, stiffer components than the stock GM components.

I'm concerned, but not too concerned. It'll all be good. Personally, I'm leaving the Camaro like it is. The only thing that might change are the radio components...depending.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 11:56 PM   #4
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
I'm concerned, but not too concerned. It'll all be good. Personally, I'm leaving the Camaro like it is. The only thing that might change are the radio components...depending.
Yeah, definitly. If I can help it, I want a stock Camaro into a ripe old age. a couple of "personalizers" but that's it. No major wieght fixing...I'm not worried at all.

The Mustang wieghs in at 3,477 lbs. (courtesy of Automotive.com). Give our car 200 more pounds and 100 more horses...I'm more than comfortable with that. For example, the hp to wieght ratios (assuming the Gen5 is 3600 lbs.) are as follows, the higher the better (means how many horses per pound of car):
2007 Mustang GT = .0862+/-.
2009 Camaro "SS" <420 hp> = .1166 +/-

may not look it in numbers, but that is a HUGE difference (IMO).

And another example; the 2002 Camaro, at 325 hp, and about 3,522 lbs. (courtesy of Automotive.com). the hp/wieght ratio there is .0922+/-...Can any fourth gen drivers give me a nod that thier cars are FAST? now add roughly 100 hp...wow!

Plus, if it's any concillation, GM said they called Jenny Craig...
Old 07-14-2007, 01:02 PM   #5
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Doug Houlihan (Chief Engineer) flew in from "down under" for industry days and also Charity Preview -- and a few meetings..... He has a message for the enthusiast community: "Tell them not to be concerned with weight - we've called Jenny Craig!!!".........

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ht=Jenny+Craig
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 08:57 PM   #6
Mr. Wyndham

Yeah, that's what I was talking about - thanks Killer!
Old 07-15-2007, 06:38 PM   #7
AirGoya

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
just for a reference point how much does the GTO weigh?
AirGoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 09:09 PM   #8
JeepinMatt

Drives: '99 Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirGoya View Post
About 3700 lbs
JeepinMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 10:52 AM   #9
CamaroLovers
Chevy Luv

Drives: Chevrolet
If they would offer a base model with few options like the 4th gens then that would be one way to keep the weight down, but I don't see that happening. Don't really see too many base model stripper vehicles around these days. I know when I bought my '01 Z I searched specifically for a no option car becasue I knew it was going to see the track often, but this time around I'm not as worried about that. Not really in a possision right now to get that serious into racing again.
1986 IROC
1988 Camaro w/LS1
2001 Black Z28
CamaroLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 07:10 PM   #10
Dan

Drives: 2004 GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinMatt View Post
About 3700 lbs
More than that. The M6 is I think 3785 and the auto a little heavier.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 08:11 PM   #11
Casull

Drives: Chevy Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirGoya View Post
I wouldn't use the GTO as a reference for weight... actually, I wouldn't use the GTO as a reference point for much of anything when it comes to the Camaro....
Casull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 11:29 PM   #12
Mr. Wyndham

Well...I don't know about that, Casull:

Quote:
__________Camaro Concept_______Camaro Production______GTO
Length (in.) ______186.2__________________186.2_____________189.8
Width (in.) _______ 79.6___________________79.3______________72.5
Height (in.)________53____________________53.6______________54.9
The Camaro is wider than the GTO, but the GTO is longer then the Camaro, and their both pretty much the same hieght. So maybe it equalizes, a little bit?

BTW: I figured the production version's dimensions by adding or subtracting the changes released by GM.

Take it how you want it I just thought it might be useful to have the Numbers out there.

Camaro dimensions, Courtesy of:
http://www.rsportscars.com/eng/cars/...let_camaro.asp

GTO dimensions courtesy of:
http://www.automotive.com/2005/12/po...ons/index.html
Old 08-09-2007, 03:11 PM   #13
Cubanaso
Follower of CHRIST!

Drives: 2005 Mazda RX8
I don't blame you, I'm worried about that also. When the Pony came out at 3500 pounds I was disappointed in Ford, this is a sports car right....????

Anyway, the above quote is VERY refreshing to hear since weight does not only slow down the car, but hurts handling and fuel economy so it's a lose, lose, LOSE situation with weight.

I heard, I think MT, say they would keep it under 3600 (meaning in car company talk = 3599, lol) which while not impressive is not very disappointing either considering the engine size, size of the car in general, and target of the Mustang. Well....just by the looks of the new Camaro, the Pony is more of just a practice shot...lol and not so much the target. LOL

I own a lovely 2950-3020 pound RX8 and let me tell you, less is MUCH MUCH MORE!

I hope, 3500 flat and no more in the V8.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:45 PM   #14
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubanaso View Post
I don't blame you, I'm worried about that also. When the Pony came out at 3500 pounds I was disappointed in Ford, this is a sports car right....????

Anyway, the above quote is VERY refreshing to hear since weight does not only slow down the car, but hurts handling and fuel economy so it's a lose, lose, LOSE situation with weight.

I heard, I think MT, say they would keep it under 3600 (meaning in car company talk = 3599, lol) which while not impressive is not very disappointing either considering the engine size, size of the car in general, and target of the Mustang. Well....just by the looks of the new Camaro, the Pony is more of just a practice shot...lol and not so much the target. LOL

I own a lovely 2950-3020 pound RX8 and let me tell you, less is MUCH MUCH MORE!

I hope, 3500 flat and no more in the V8.
I know someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to recall that in 1969 my Z/28 was around 3,385 lbs. And as I paid just a little under $3,400 for it that worked out to about a dollar a pound <VBG>!!
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote