Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 12-14-2009, 02:46 PM   #15
scottcolem

Drives: 2019 ZL1
I have had mine for about 3 weeks. So far i havent had any trouble what so ever. My 4th gen SS rattled alot, but this car is much better. The quality has come along way.
scottcolem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:17 PM   #16
rray200

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach dude View Post
Reading about everyones problems here begs the question...

If the issues arose within 60 days of taking delivery, did anyone try to return their Camaro?

If not, why not?

I empathize with each of you and I mean absolutely no offense in asking this question. Did you have your symptom(s) right away? I've been down the issues road already with new cars and it's frustrating by nature. I, as are all of you, am infatuated with the 5th generation Camaro. BUT, I'm not interested in having to deal with engine noises, popping front ends, squealing brakes, rattles in the dash, dealing with service departments etc., etc., whatever.

I may be wrong, but it seems this car has more than it's share of manufacturing defects. In what would be an extreme case of delayed gratification, I'm seriously thinking about waiting until later in the model year, or even waiting until the '11's come out.
A friend of a friend who got a Black 2SS recently, took advantage of the 60 day return policy and sent the car back to GM. It was a disaster of a car. Rattle in the dash, constant shimy that the dealer couldn't fix, radio didn't work properly, peeling paint and big panel gaps in the body and trunk, and then, the final nail in the coffin was when the car just flat out died in the middle of the road with a full tank of gas. Even the Onstar wouldn't work, nothing. She returned it.

It seems the Camaro is really a luck of the draw car. Some folks here on this newsgroup have had zero problems with theirs, yet others have had nothing but nightmares with them. Here in Canada, there have been numerous, and I mean numerous used low km Camaro's showing up on used car lots everywhere. Some even showing up on trade at Acura dealers. My guess is people are taking advantage of the 60 day return policy when these chronic mechanical issues show up. I'm glad I didn't jump. I'd go ballistic if I dropped all that money on an SS, only to have to have the car on the dealer hoist every other week like some people are having to go through.
rray200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:56 PM   #17
SleepWarz
Banned

Drives: 1991 New Yorker, 69 Tbird, ABM2SSRS
Thats what happens when all the yuppies realize they cant handle the awesomeness that is, the camaro.
SleepWarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:58 PM   #18
oachalon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Most people have had very good luck with this car. Look at the amount of people on this forum, and look at the amount of people having problems. Very slim problems, and half the time its the dealerships messing up.

Go to any forum for any car manufacturer and the issue thread is usually bigger than this one. Doesnt matter the vehicle, acura, honda, mercedes, bmw, ford, etc. Posts are usually made when people have problems, not when the car is great.
oachalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 04:15 PM   #19
kjd15
Finally!!

Drives: '10 2LT Summit white, '68 Camaro
I haven't had the car that long, but I have not experienced any issues. As much as it would be a pita, I would bring it in for warranty work as needed. Any car is going to have some sort of issue at some point.

Unless it was a total lemon, I would not return it. I waited too damn long for this car!!
kjd15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 05:20 PM   #20
bluec5

Drives: 1999 Corvette, 2012 Camaro 2LT/RS
7 Months/3,500 miles and not a single problem. In fact the only bit of disappointment at all has been with the sound of the exhaust and I knew that before I drove it off the lot.
I have purchased many new cars over the years and while I have had a few warranty issues in those purchases; by and large I have been very satisfied with those vehicles and my Camaro has been one of the most satisfying. Great quality, the panel fit of my car matches that of my Lexus, which is to say that it is very good and the cool factor is much higher IMO.
bluec5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:34 AM   #21
rray200

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE
If I get this car, it will be in the summer. Hopefully, a higher vin number=fewer problems.
rray200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:44 AM   #22
tradosaurus
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 F150 Lariat, Candy Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by eynigush View Post
6 mo.??? Or 60 days???
I wish GM would offer 6 mo or 60 days or a lifetime supply of Guiness Stout.
tradosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 05:26 PM   #23
riverbadboy
riverbadboy

Drives: 1SS Silver with Black rally Stripes
Send a message via AIM to riverbadboy
yes, i think oachalon is right-on. mine turned out to be used.. with that being said, somebody ELSE returned it. i was so stupid i bought it thinking it was new. The dealer even re-installed the stickers!. When it broke at about 5000 mi they screwed up more than i took it in for. they fixed the heater core. I had an independent shop clean the interior,(since they refused to replace it). Tailfin was stripped out (one bolt). I told them to quit touching it. It really runs SOLID. no squeaks anywhere. I really agree that the more the tech touches it , it will continue to break elsewhere.
riverbadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:02 AM   #24
Beach dude

Drives: Soon to be 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rray200 View Post
If I get this car, it will be in the summer. Hopefully, a higher vin number=fewer problems.
A good idea!

I think I may roll the dice and place my order the last week of the year, just to take advantage of employee pricing before it's somehow degraded to some unknown extent next year. I agree with your thinking that cars produced later in the model year are likely to have fewer issues... would be interesting to know how/when/and how fast the factory responds to warranty claims regarding engine noises, popping front ends, squealing brakes, rattles in the dash, etc., by making production-assembly line improvements and changes... if they respond at all.
The considered opinion of people I know who know cars as well and better than I do is to avoid buying the first year of production. We've all heard this before but I don't want to wait another 9-10 months.
Beach dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 10:55 AM   #25
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
No problemo period.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:38 AM   #26
Easy Go

Drives: LLT MV5 B34 N65... period.
While there is some truth that a higher VIN may correlate with fewer problems, the latest quality data I've seen shows that the Camaro is doing extremely well in this regard. Ahead of target and the program team is working constantly to make it better, still.

Quality improvements are perpetually ongoing, so the model year designation does not make a significant difference in this regard. Certain options my be different and new issues may surface because of that new content, but in general there's no point in holding off for a 2011 vs. buying a 2010 due to general quality concerns.

Remember... Internet forums can be unintentionally misleading because threads will get started whenever someone has an issue - but if everyone that hasn't had an issue started a thread, the perception would be that there are extremely FEW quality issues. Kind of like news reporting - you only ever hear the bad news.
In the early morning... when there's only a mere suggestion that the sun is going to bother coming up at all that day - a CGM blur accompanied by the anthem of 312 horses awakens the morning commuters from their NPR-induced stupor. Charging past the front lines in an all-or-nothing battle cry that the King has returned...
Easy Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 01:14 PM   #27
Dave Coyle

Drives: 2010 SS , 1970 Z-28, 2002 Avalanche
Take the $500 offer to turn down the 60 day return, most of the problems are warrantee fixed and if you do get a lemon, they do have the "lemon law".
Kooks 1 7/8 LT Headers/Hi-Flo Cats/Corsa Exhaust
Roto-Fab CAI / Port Intake
Precission 2400/2800 Converter/3.73 AAM gears
Livernois Motorsports Tune

Best time: 11.97 @ 117 MPH
Dave Coyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:38 PM   #28
LS 1st gen
Kept the Faith.

Drives: 2010 VR 2SS
Send a message via AIM to LS 1st gen
You're being very undude......

Here's the thing - most cars out there don't have groups as decicated as the various Camaro forums. We do a VERY good job of tracking issues that may arise and helping each other out. It can be a very large amount of information and seem daunting, but the fact is the new Camaro has no more problems than your average new car...it's just that if you were driving around in a Corolla or something and had some of the minor issues we have reported here, you probably wouldn't even notice it because there's not an entire message board talking about minor squeaks and rattles.