Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

View Poll Results: What is the Camaro's weakest link?
Camaro SS lower grill 10 6.13%
Must buy a package to get a single option 26 15.95%
Camaro weight 61 37.42%
0-60 time; 1/4 mile time 14 8.59%
Radio 10 6.13%
SS front bumper scoop (Mail slot) 6 3.68%
Camaro SS front bumper 7 4.29%
Potential price (I think it will be too expensive) 30 18.40%
Mpg on the V8 18 11.04%
Mpg on the V6 8 4.91%
They don't offer the color I really wanted 4 2.45%
Currently not offering Z28 27 16.56%
Trunk space 5 3.07%
Interior 5 3.07%
It doesn't really turn into giant alien robot with cannons 62 38.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-25-2008, 12:31 PM   #57
Nickdago

Drives: 01 Z06 08 CTS 07 Avy LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beelzebubba View Post
Poll option 16:

That this ugly beast is the best they could do for the Firebird version. (that they won't build anyway so it doesn't matter.)

Looks Good
Nickdago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 12:35 PM   #58
Nickdago

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFlaZ View Post
It's exactly the same shape wise? The lines may not be as protruding as what you might be thinking, but it was a CONCEPT. Minus the minor grill and tail changes that are different, they can be fixed with an RS package.
Actually that center section of the car is not the same. It hugs in more on the concept. I am sure they had a reason for expanding that part of the car (More space in the rear seating) but it changes the look and feel. Besides why do we need more room in the back, I mean not the Mustangs, Camaros of even the new Challenger have enough room in the back to really be considered roomy or comfortable. How would you like to go on a long trip in the back of any of the cars mentioned, I know I would not. Lets tuck that mid section back in.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:57 PM   #59
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickdago View Post
Actually that center section of the car is not the same. It hugs in more on the concept.
Are you sure? I mean...have you seen it in person? Ask because I realize pictures don't represent depth very well at all. Yet, ALL of the pictures I've seen between concept and production (and I've seen 90% of them....) I can tell no difference between the two in that area....

Quote:
Besides why do we need more room in the back, I mean not the Mustangs, Camaros of even the new Challenger have enough room in the back to really be considered roomy or comfortable. How would you like to go on a long trip in the back of any of the cars mentioned, I know I would not. Lets tuck that mid section back in.
...so, why not just delete the back seats altogether then.........
The Challenger has plenty of room back there. It's 2+3 car, after all. So to compete and actually have your average person buy this car, the back seat has to be habitable. But even so...I'm still not seeing this drastic change your referring to...
Old 07-25-2008, 01:13 PM   #60
Nickdago

Actually a buddy of mine has a new Challenger and once we are in it there is almost no leg room in the back, no way I could sit back there. The back of those huge front seats are within inches of the back seat. By the way that is a really nice car even though I am a GM guy I have to admit it draws crowds everywhere we go.

I am OK with deleting the back seets, I mean for all realistic purposes this is not really a family car, I should know with 5 kids. This is a fun car that puts the excitemnt back in driving, or is that Pontiac.

Anyway, the difference in the photos seems obvious to me, the overall look is not the same at all. I still like the car but I am not in love with it like I am the concept.

And I really do not have a problem with all the little things like mirrors and backup lights and so on, just the loss of that fit and trim distinctive look that is gone.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:16 PM   #61
Cubanaso
Follower of CHRIST!

Drives: 2005 Mazda RX8
Quote:
...so, why not just delete the back seats altogether then.........
The Challenger has plenty of room back there. It's 2+3 car, after all. So to compete and actually have your average person buy this car, the back seat has to be habitable. But even so...I'm still not seeing this drastic change your referring to...
Exactly, if it didn't have back seats I could not even consider it. While yes...if you think about it, why have them if it's near useless. BUT...I rather have tight seats than NO seats.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:46 PM   #62
Nickdago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubanaso View Post
Exactly, if it didn't have back seats I could not even consider it. While yes...if you think about it, why have them if it's near useless. BUT...I rather have tight seats than NO seats.
Actually I would still like to have them but hope that they fold down and open into the trunk, that is how I would probably leave them 90% of the time.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:57 PM   #63
scorpio

Drives: E46 BMW
Quote:
And I really do not have a problem with all the little things like mirrors and backup lights and so on, just the loss of that fit and trim distinctive look that is gone.
That's exactly how I think about the changes. The little things do not bother me much, it's the different body proportions that I am not happy with.
scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 02:26 PM   #64
Nickdago

If I could see the production car in person next to the concept I am sure within 30 minutes I could tell exactly what it is about the two cars that are different, however I am sure I will not be given the opportunity to see both cars in person at the same time.

There is a definit difference at least in the photos just hard to really put your finger on it without like Dragon said seeing them in person together which he may have been able to do.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:31 PM   #65
Cubanaso
Follower of CHRIST!

Drives: 2005 Mazda RX8
Quote:
Actually I would still like to have them but hope that they fold down and open into the trunk, that is how I would probably leave them 90% of the time.
Yeah, for me I have a 2 1/2 year old so I'll use them IF I get the Camaro. I still don't know yet...
Old 07-25-2008, 03:21 PM   #66
Roflmao
Insane Assylum Escapee

Drives: 1998 Camry
I am a bit lost as to why all the emphasis is going for the weight? I mean the car isn't a lightweight, but its definately a lot lighter than the challanger, and still lighter than the mustang from what I understand? To make it any lighter than it is and to keep the car and its features means a lot more money spent on making it 50 or 100lbs lighter, and that doesn't make sense to me. AND then some of you are saying you want the price to stay at 28-30k? yah ok good luck with that one. One thing that impressed me that has me not worried about the weight at all is the weight distribution. The car will handle well and thats what really matters.

I won't even get into the way it doesn't look like the concept, because everyone knew from the beginning of the production practically that the concept could not be replicated identically, why don't we just start asking why there is a B-pillar again if that is the case. I am VERY impressed with how close this car looks to the concept, and if given the opportunity I would go shake the hand and hug every single person that put all the effort to this project.

My only concerns are regarding the buying the packages instead of picking out what options I want and the overall price of the car, because I certainly am willing to pay for everything the car is, but I don't know if I have the money overall to afford it quite yet.
Roflmao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 03:35 PM   #67
Nickdago

I guess for some reason I was under the impression that it was going to be as close to the concept as the Challenger was to it's concept, at least in body of the car.
Old 07-25-2008, 04:24 PM   #68
Roflmao
Insane Assylum Escapee

Drives: 1998 Camry
Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't the Challenger designed from a Charger and uses the same platform? The Camaro concept was a modified.... GTO?, I think and the Zeta platform wasn't even completed yet? I agree with you in respect to the concept looking wider and has that hip-like quality in the back wheel, but I think that has a lot to do with a combination of the modifications done to the car to make it pass all the laws and inspections. The B-pillar is definately a centerpiece of that whole thing. I guess I just never wanted the concept because I knew from the get-go it wasn't possible to be manufactured into an affordable street legal car.
Roflmao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 04:45 PM   #69
Nickdago

I probably just had a different expectiation then others. The b-pillar does not bother me really but could be part of the issue with that part of the car looking different. I would assume then from your post that you also notice the difference at that mid section under the door handle and over the rear tire.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:36 PM   #70
Casull

Drives: Chevy Silverado
I agree with the countless others, fuel economy. I guess I expected the V8 to be at like 26MPG but I guess it makes sense with the Camaro being heavier than the vette and less aerodynamic.
Casull is offline   Reply With Quote