The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 03-20-2014, 09:58 PM   #1
Richardlord

Drives: Dodge Magnum RT Hemi AWD
HOW MUCH TO CUSTOMIZE A C7?

Before the C7, I was going to buy a fully restored ’67 big bock Vert – The original wheels and other original sticker parts were a big consideration – So, on the C7, how much customization do you all recommend to keep its originality but also to make it what you want? – I don’t even have my $65,000+ Z51 FAY Vert yet, and already I have customized it – I purchased a Hurst black ball 7-speed shifter as I had one as a teen in ’64 (actually, a Hurst 4 speed) when I talked my gullible son loving and easily manipulative father into buying as a “family car” a Plymouth Sport Fury 383 with Hurst 4 speed – Now, that was a great car – Rubber in all 4 gears – God, I loved my dad that I could easily manipulate him – But, that what’s great dads are for – Are they not? – Anyway, that is how we remember our great Dads who would do almost anything for us – Actually, my dad knew what I was doing, but he wanted the car as much as I did, and I guess we both manipulated my mom – But, all for a good cause, me – Again, how much customization is too much – My guess is that most anything is OK as long as we can bring it back its original condition without having “cut” into it and we can bring it back to its original condition without major body or engine work – What say you?
Richardlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:19 PM   #2
Steven Bell

Drives: 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray
Richard, I would suggest do the mods you want and make it "yours". That's what makes these cars so special.

The Corvette is one of the most modifiable cars on the market-that was VERY appealing to me.
Steven Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:32 AM   #3
Livernois Motorsports

Drives: 2010 Camaro 454 LSX (SOLD)
Richard,

What mods are you looking to have done?

Brandon
Livernois Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:53 AM   #4
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
My rule is if the mod is massively apparent by non corvette people it's too much: big wing spoilers, blue wheels, etc, then it's too much. I have about 30 appearance mods on my car, only corvette c7 enthusiasts can spot them. Also the mod must be OEM quality, no backyard mods.....

All my mods and more in one thread:
http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum/...ld-thread.html
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 12:10 AM   #5
Nate GM
Rand Paul 2016

Drives: Corvette Stingray Z51 2LT
You can never spend too much on performance modifications in my opinion. I wouldn't get carried away with exterior mods if you want the car to keep it's original look but it's really up to you. It sounds like you already have a great car ordered with a lot of good options from the factory, so maybe you won't need to make many modifications.

Good luck and have fun
Old 03-22-2014, 12:16 AM   #6
Nate GM
Rand Paul 2016

Drives: Corvette Stingray Z51 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
My rule is if the mod is massively apparent by non corvette people it's too much: big wing spoilers, blue wheels, etc, then it's too much. I have about 30 appearance mods on my car, only corvette c7 enthusiasts can spot them. Also the mod must be OEM quality, no backyard mods.....

All my mods and more in one thread:
http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum/...ld-thread.html
But how could you not like backyard mods!?!?!?

Old 03-22-2014, 02:23 AM   #7
Richardlord

Thanks for the comments and advice - My first rule to myself (I know, Corvettes don't have rules) is not to do anything that would void the warranty - I know, some are ramping up the HP, and while nice, and tempting, although I really don't know how much more HP one needs than 460, I am sure that would problemize the warranty - If one needs more, get a ZO6/ZO7 - But, that' my take - Plus, question, how much more HP and torque can a C7 handle without chassis mods, like those in a ZO6/ZO7? - For now, my only mods will be the Hurst shifter with a black ball, and black OEM mud flaps - I really like the feel of a ball and to me flaps are a must - May do some of the things Glen e did - his is my C7 on order, so I pretty much thought of everything - I also may eliminate the thin chrome strip that runs across the middle of front gill - I think it would look better all black - As it is, to me, that strip looks like braces on the grill teeth - http://www.chevrolet.com/corvette-st...JZCI6bnVsbH0=@

Male chauvinist guy quote of the day, actual question put to a male celebrity notorious womanizer with his answer - Question, "How do you judge if a woman would be good in bed?" Answer, "If she shows up." Warren Beatty - All the guys I know would pretty much agree

Last edited by Richardlord; 03-22-2014 at 07:30 AM.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:54 AM   #8
Andrew6
TheDoubleAA.com

Drives: 2008 Corvette Coupe ZHZ 269of500
Andrew6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:54 AM   #9
Andrew6
TheDoubleAA.com

Old 03-22-2014, 08:05 AM   #10
Richardlord

Yes, lights would be cool - I have thought of that - Andrew 6, please tell more of what and how you did what you did, and who did it and where - I see you have a Hurst white ball shifter - I think I'll put a strip of black tape over the chrome strip running across the grill
Old 03-22-2014, 08:30 AM   #11
GB EB

Drives: 2014 Stingray 2LT/Z51
How much?
As much as you want.

I had almost $40,000 in "upgrades" to my 2011 Camaro.... I know... Once I got done, (ok... it was never really done) I was like "how the hell did that happen?"

Simply know this, if, I say IF, you ever decide to sell it you'll get about 10 cents for every dollar you spend. If you trade it in, you'll get about 1 cent per dollar spent. The morale to that story is, Modifying a car is not an investment.... understand it's money being spent on a very expensive hobby.

When I traded in my Camaro I only found 1 dealer that would give me over KBB trade value... he gave me an extra $1k for my $40K in custom upgrades.

ADVICE: Keep all the OEM parts replaced and don't do anything you can't undo. Then if you sell/trade your car later you can return to factory specs and sell the parts on the forums... you'll get about 50 cents on the dollar.

*TROPHY RECIPIENT - GREATEST SHOW ON TURF 9/11/11*
*1ST PLACE MODERN MUSCLE - CORONADO SPEED FESTIVAL 9/23/11*
*AWARD OF EXCELLENCE - GOOD GUYS DEL MAR FALL NATIONALS 11/27/11*
*1ST PLACE / '82&UP CAMARO/FIREBIRD- FORT WALTON BEACH FF SHOW 2/16/13*
BUILD THREAD: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120353

Last edited by GB EB; 03-23-2014 at 03:39 PM.
GB EB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 09:05 PM   #12
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardlord View Post
Before the C7, I was going to buy a fully restored ’67 big bock Vert – The original wheels and other original sticker parts were a big consideration – So, on the C7, how much customization do you all recommend to keep its originality but also to make it what you want? – I don’t even have my $65,000+ Z51 FAY Vert yet, and already I have customized it – I purchased a Hurst black ball 7-speed shifter as I had one as a teen in ’64 (actually, a Hurst 4 speed) when I talked my gullible son loving and easily manipulative father into buying as a “family car” a Plymouth Sport Fury 383 with Hurst 4 speed – Now, that was a great car – Rubber in all 4 gears – God, I loved my dad that I could easily manipulate him – But, that what’s great dads are for – Are they not? – Anyway, that is how we remember our great Dads who would do almost anything for us – Actually, my dad knew what I was doing, but he wanted the car as much as I did, and I guess we both manipulated my mom – But, all for a good cause, me – Again, how much customization is too much – My guess is that most anything is OK as long as we can bring it back its original condition without having “cut” into it and we can bring it back to its original condition without major body or engine work – What say you?
Richard, I used to own a NCRS 98 Point 67 Big Block, numbers matching, 4 Speed, A/C, side pipe car. It was sold because it only took one accident to go from all original to not original. I sold it and bought another 67 and completely changed it to a car that I love. There is very little that is original and it will never have the value of an original car, but I drive it everywhere. Including 2800 miles on the upcoming National Caravan.

Buy your new car, change it it your own personal likes and keep all of the original parts that you take off of the car. It will not increase in value for 20 years, so you have a lot of time to enjoy it.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:56 AM   #13
Andrew6
TheDoubleAA.com

Everything was done by TheDoubleAA in Kemah TX. You can check out the website for shifter etc...
Old 03-26-2014, 11:12 AM   #14
Overtime

Drives: 2014 Artic white stingray ordered
GB EB..i know what you mean sold my 11 Camaro..700hp to the wheel and a ton of mods to the appearance and suspension. I guess about 35000 in mods. Found a guy that wanted it bad gave him a great deal I thought and got 45000 for it. Still took it in the shorts but it was fun building it. Now problem is sold it too fast the vette wont be here till I hope the 26th of next month and im bored..lol
3300....03/24/2014 TPW 4/7
3400....03/31/2014 TPW 4/7
3800....04/09/2014
4B00....04/10/2014
4200....MYSTERY
5000....04/14/2014

Overtime is offline   Reply With Quote