The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 11-16-2021, 05:07 PM   #15
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS CV CE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
my Ex had a X1/9 when I met her - I should have run for the hills! Lol
The one I referred to belonged to my girlfriend at the time. Did we date the same girl? At the same time?!
Old 11-16-2021, 08:59 PM   #16
Tajefe Couple

Drives: Never just fly under the radar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXSSCE View Post
Is it possible the issue was that it was an early 2M4? Were the later models better?
Possibly, the car was probably about 8 years old and had a hard life by the time I got it. It was just hard to understand why it spent a few weeks at the Pontiac dealer and had 3 techs go over it without ever figuring out why it wouldn't deliver fuel. Remember they got a kick out of how I drove it there though. I seem to remember the later models having much better luck but seems like they never where very reliable or successful with only a 5 year run.
Old 12-12-2021, 12:16 PM   #17
gingercar-61

Drives: 2020 ILS Camaro
Ive been involved with a few Fieros, hard to work on parts availability is poor . A sharp 88 gt was the top of the line but impossible to find and buy with low miles. Problems with the build quality are to numerous to mention. I bought a nice 91 mr2 auto car non turbo because I still wanted to enjoy the rear engine sensation. Parts were tough to get some things hard to work on but miles ahead of the fiero. I sold and said if i ever went back mr2 I would get newer one with less miles. There again hard to find. 5 speed mr2 you need long legs to get the clutch pushed in and not be to close to the steering wheel. at 5,9 it dosent work for me.
gingercar-61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 01:18 PM   #18
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingercar-61 View Post
Ive been involved with a few Fieros, hard to work on parts availability is poor . A sharp 88 gt was the top of the line but impossible to find and buy with low miles. Problems with the build quality are to numerous to mention. I bought a nice 91 mr2 auto car non turbo because I still wanted to enjoy the rear engine sensation. Parts were tough to get some things hard to work on but miles ahead of the fiero. I sold and said if i ever went back mr2 I would get newer one with less miles. There again hard to find. 5 speed mr2 you need long legs to get the clutch pushed in and not be to close to the steering wheel. at 5,9 it dosent work for me.
Must be different body proportions or preferences. I’m 5’7” and have zero issues with clutch position. If anything, it’s too close. The car I bought has racing seats installed and they don’t move fore/aft. In fact, I’m in the process of reupholstering some OEM seats so that I can install them and have fore/aft travel. The blue cloth seat is the OEM passenger seat as purchased. The leather and alcantara is the driver’s seat that I just finished this morning.
Attached Images

A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 05:03 PM   #19
gingercar-61

Same color interior my white 91 had. My n/a car had a hesitation off idle that i spent a lot of time and money trying to get rid of I made it better but not right. The car had 120,000 miles on it with new timing belt installed by Toyota. Even put a new cat converter on thinking it might be restricting. Hard to find cars now days. Wish GM would have invested more money when they built the Fiero but I think the financial climate was not right
Old 12-12-2021, 06:28 PM   #20
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Same color interior my white 91 had. My n/a car had a hesitation off idle that i spent a lot of time and money trying to get rid of I made it better but not right. The car had 120,000 miles on it with new timing belt installed by Toyota. Even put a new cat converter on thinking it might be restricting. Hard to find cars now days. Wish GM would have invested more money when they built the Fiero but I think the financial climate was not right
Yeah, I was shocked that there wasn’t a second gen. The ‘87 and ‘88 were finally showing the potential of the car. At the time every GM division (except GMC) had a 2-seat sports car. Then there was a regime change and Fiero, Reatta, and Allante all bit the dust.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Old 12-13-2021, 05:30 PM   #21
gingercar-61

They were talking about bringing back the Fiero 5 or 10 years ago , but surprise mid-engine Corvette. Would be neat if they had a 4cyl cheaper version.
Old 12-13-2021, 06:29 PM   #22
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS CV CE
Quote:
They were talking about bringing back the Fiero 5 or 10 years ago , but surprise mid-engine Corvette. Would be neat if they had a 4cyl cheaper version.
Wait until the C9, but it'll cost the same as the C8.
Old 12-13-2021, 08:31 PM   #23
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Not sure who "they" were. GM Product Portfolio Planning was not thinking about it at all. For one thing, Pontiac's been gone for more than 10 years. Solstice was the closest thing to Fiero that was ever gonna be considered. ME Corvette has been the single focus (as far as sports cars go) since at least the day after C6 was launched. C7 would have been ME were it not for that little bankruptcy thing.

Old 12-13-2021, 09:15 PM   #24
gingercar-61

Im sure I read in a motor trend magazine that gm was considering a new fiero but it wouldnt have been a Pontiac your right
Old 12-13-2021, 10:35 PM   #25
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Im sure I read in a motor trend magazine that gm was considering a new fiero but it wouldnt have been a Pontiac your right
Nope. That would have come through the department I worked in. I worked in Powertrain Portfolio Planning. Every vehicle that needed a powertrain (every vehicle) would need to come through our department to get matched up with the right engine and transmission. It didn’t happen. The magazines may have said it was considered but it would have just been a very wrong guess on their part. It was never under consideration. Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky were the last small sporty cars GM worked on. There were a couple Chevrolet small RWD concepts that were briefly on the auto show circuit but they never got off the ground. Never even had a business case review.