The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 11-12-2021, 03:26 PM   #15
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabjbr View Post
Hope it doesn’t register fast driving or being on the track as a problem.

Agreed, I like safe but this may be too much.

Instead, require anyone with a single dui to install (and pay for) such electronics and leave the other 330M people alone.
i like the way you think,but whats to stop them from renting a car that is not so equipped and getting blasted?or just driving anything made before that time frame?maybe if they catch somebody driving thats really fvcked up they ought to pull them out of the car and rough them up a little so theyll have something to think about next time...
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 04:44 PM   #16
SHessler

Drives: 2021 1SS 1LE [Shock]
No, just no.

Ex Spec Miata driver.
SHessler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 07:04 PM   #17
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
I am concerned about the automatic emergency braking and lane departure warning that will be mandated as standard equipment. AEB is actually dangerous in its current form if it needs to be manually disabled each time you start the car.

Forget to disable it and the car may slam on the brakes for you right as you are about to change lanes to avoid the car in front of you, removing the gap you were going to move into. The system doesn't consider if there is an available lane for an escape maneuver and/or if someone is closely following you so it could cause you to be unnecessary hit by someone else in certain cases.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 07:53 PM   #18
MR's 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS Vert/M6/F250 SD
I think... deaths caused by drunk driving is around 10,000 per year.
Very preventable and really sad when it your loved one crashed into by some jackas...
But....
Estimates (because they hide it) of deaths caused by medical malpractice range between 250,000 and 400,000 per year.
Just a wild estimate here but deaths caused by peoples own governments are well up in the hundreds of millions.
I already dont want most of the tech on the vehicles I have.
I prefer dangerous freedom.
Old 11-12-2021, 09:31 PM   #19
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrptrks View Post
I am concerned about the automatic emergency braking and lane departure warning that will be mandated as standard equipment. AEB is actually dangerous in its current form if it needs to be manually disabled each time you start the car.

Forget to disable it and the car may slam on the brakes for you right as you are about to change lanes to avoid the car in front of you, removing the gap you were going to move into. The system doesn't consider if there is an available lane for an escape maneuver and/or if someone is closely following you so it could cause you to be unnecessary hit by someone else in certain cases.
LOL if you are approaching a car too fast and get so close the car needs to brake for you? You need a car that brakes for you.

Regardless of how good you think you are you will never be as fast as the sensors in your car and it’s even worse for those that don’t earn a living racing cars.

Yes, I’ve had the odd alert going under an overpass but nothing close to what you describe.

But it sounds like you are describing what you think would happen rather than what you’ve had happen.

I’ve never had anything like this happen in 4 years with AFB or ACC.

As for the breathalyzer? Well we have feature on our cars that save far fewer lives (back up cameras) but none that prevent you from operating your own vehicle. This is the argument for ADS making he roads safer.
Old 11-12-2021, 09:36 PM   #20
bigd1276
2017 HyperBlue 2SS

Drives: 2017 HyperBlue Camaro 2SS
Is this where we’re headed?
Attached Images

2010 IBM 2LT RS......Traded for.....
2012 IBM 2SS RS......Traded for.....
2017 HBM 2SS
bigd1276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 09:40 PM   #21
willzilla
D3RPZILLA

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 a10
I'd rather they require an IQ test to get a license to drive in the first place lol.
willzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 09:54 PM   #22
cdrptrks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
But it sounds like you are describing what you think would happen rather than what you’ve had happen.

I had a Mazda rental car that decided the car turning right into the parking lot in front of me was a risk and it did some braking for me even though my path would have been clear without slowing down and I had already checked that the left lane was clear if I needed to go there to avoid the car in front of me. I think the AEB was set to the farthest distance by default. Thankfully there was no one tailgating me but it is not far fetched that unnecessary accidents like the ones I described could result from AEB. I have been rear ended by someone not paying attention in a previous car and prefer not to slam on the brakes if either another lane or the shoulder are available as escape routes to reduce the chances of it happening again. I also saw the person behind me get rear ended on a separate occasion when the pickup truck in front of me caused us all to do an emergency stop on the highway.

Also I discovered a rental Camaro SS that I was driving had forward collision alert about 15 minutes after I started driving it while speeding up to make sure I entered an intersection before the light turned red. Of course I was about to brake when it beeped anyways and it was nowhere near to being an accident.
Old 11-12-2021, 10:24 PM   #23
cdrptrks

Quote:
Regardless of how good you think you are you will never be as fast as the sensors in your car and it’s even worse for those that don’t earn a living racing cars.
The AEB sensors don't account for other accident avoidance options besides slamming on the brakes which is not always the best decision compared to changing lanes or using the shoulder. Also if AEB is programmed to use the full grip of the car's tires, in a car with sticky tires like the SS 1LE it guarantees that you will be rear ended if you have someone following within 50 feet of you on the highway at 70mph in an average pickup truck unless they change lanes or use the shoulder even if they were somehow capable of beginning their braking at exactly the same moment that your car does. The Camaro SS 1LE stops from 70mph in 141 feet but "full-size pickups often need nearly 200 feet" according to Car and Driver.

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...raking-tested/

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...d-test-review/
Old 11-13-2021, 08:10 AM   #24
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
LOL if you are approaching a car too fast and get so close the car needs to brake for you? You need a car that brakes for you.

Yes, I’ve had the odd alert going under an overpass but nothing close to what you describe.

How would that work in situations when approaching someone not moving out of the left lane so one take a gap in the right lane to go around them. Two lanes with the same relative velocity with one moving faster.

Forbidden maneuver?

Quote:
As for the breathalyzer? Well we have feature on our cars that save far fewer lives (back up cameras) but none that prevent you from operating your own vehicle.
What?

Quote:
This is the argument for ADS making he roads safer.
I would propose lanes for the bubble wrap drivers in their autonomous cars. Let the rest of us alone.

Seriously. Just remove all driver interaction and shuttle people around in autonomously driven Uber pods. If you had spent the last 40 years as a 100% car enthusiast, you might understand how sad that sounds.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 08:46 AM   #25
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd1276 View Post
Is this where we’re headed?
Name:  249D7146-62E3-43B5-B994-F3BAA2591C2D (1).jpg
Views: 270
Size:  96.3 KB
I literally grew up doing exactly this. Sad.
Name:  IMG_3820.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  67.7 KB

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 10:24 AM   #26

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Oh, well....Maybe it's not that serious of an issue for this administration after all...

https://insidesources.com/joe-biden-...ng-a-felony-2/
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 11:00 AM   #27
bigd1276
2017 HyperBlue 2SS

Drives: 2017 HyperBlue Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
I literally grew up doing exactly this. Sad.
Attachment 1084507
Without a helmet?..

2010 IBM 2LT RS......Traded for.....
2012 IBM 2SS RS......Traded for.....
2017 HBM 2SS
bigd1276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 07:44 PM   #28
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
i do know that our trucks at work have utilized this tech for almost 10 years now. it still sucks. i am referring to the lane departure and crash mitigation systems. the cms is frequently bumfuddled by all forms of precipitation. the lane departure is fooled by any parallel marks in the road resembling lines. tracks in the snow, rain, shadows, leaves, and especially construction zones.

i have had the truck apply the brakes for me due to an overpass i was going under on a major interstate, several times. it also really hates it when someone takes an exit lane in front of you, even if they are 25'+ away laterally. it did a full dick brake application to me on the toll road up by chi one night because of an exiting car. truck and trailer both immediately got into anti lock.

no thanks.