The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 11-04-2021, 07:04 PM   #1
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Other manufacturers skipping features?

GM is shipping all of their high volume vehicles with various features 'missing'. They're leaving off AFM, DFM HD Radio, etc. and offering the consumer basically nothing in return (a $50 credit in place of AFM/DFM results in significantly higher cost of ownership).

I'm specifically wondering if this is something other manufacturers are doing as well, and what the features are that they're dropping?

Related question... How is GM able to ramp up the level of tech in the new Sierra to include Hands Free Driving but they can't handle AFM?
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 11:18 AM   #2
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
RAM did but I cannot remember what exactly. I think it was lane warning on lower models.

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 01:52 PM   #3
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
https://www.autoblog.com/2021/11/05/...usauto00000016
Old 11-06-2021, 12:00 AM   #4
AlanRubin
Banned

Drives: 2010 LS
In order to get cars on the road, they have to skip some features, DUE to the
chip shortage. I don't know how Nintendo keeps hemorrhaging consoles, when
there is a chip shortage. You can buy a SWITCH almost anywhere, but you can't
get anything else.
AlanRubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 10:15 AM   #5
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanRubin View Post
In order to get cars on the road, they have to skip some features, DUE to the
chip shortage. I don't know how Nintendo keeps hemorrhaging consoles, when
there is a chip shortage. You can buy a SWITCH almost anywhere, but you can't
get anything else.
Not true.

GM has made a business decision to leave the features off of ALL vehicles within particular model lines ONLY. The exact same technology that you can't have in any form on a truck (AFM) is still 100% included on the Camaro. The reason they have made the decision to drop it from the trucks is volume. Since they can't guarantee enough chips to put the feature on ALL of them, they are taking the stance of putting it on NONE of them.

I would personally be happy to ORDER a truck if I were able to have the features included. But, since GM won't let anyone have AFM/DFM and that significantly increases the overall cost of ownership of the truck as a result (due to much worse MPG), I won't be buying a truck or SUV from them in the coming year to replace my aging Silverado.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 11:33 AM   #6
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
BMW is shipping cars without touchscreens being functional, now. You have to use their ridiculous iDrive controller for everything. They're offering $500 off the price of the car for this. What a joke.
Pedders Coilovers, BMR trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified fully 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. DBA rotors, Hawk pads.

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 11:35 AM   #7
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
Not true.

GM has made a business decision to leave the features off of ALL vehicles within particular model lines ONLY. The exact same technology that you can't have in any form on a truck (AFM) is still 100% included on the Camaro. The reason they have made the decision to drop it from the trucks is volume. Since they can't guarantee enough chips to put the feature on ALL of them, they are taking the stance of putting it on NONE of them.

I would personally be happy to ORDER a truck if I were able to have the features included. But, since GM won't let anyone have AFM/DFM and that significantly increases the overall cost of ownership of the truck as a result (due to much worse MPG), I won't be buying a truck or SUV from them in the coming year to replace my aging Silverado.
That's you. And that's fine.
I happen to know many people on here have spent money on a RANGE AFM disable module for their cars and have gotten 0% worse economy with the AFM being gone.
Pedders Coilovers, BMR trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified fully 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. DBA rotors, Hawk pads.

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 01:36 AM   #8
AlanRubin
Banned

Drives: 2010 LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
Not true.

Bla bla bla bla bla.
Not what the articles are saying, so whatever Skippy...
AlanRubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 07:58 AM   #9
h422694

Drives: '16 Z06 7 Spd, 2024 High Country HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibbs View Post
That's you. And that's fine.
I happen to know many people on here have spent money on a RANGE AFM disable module for their cars and have gotten 0% worse economy with the AFM being gone.
"Many people"? As a percentage of vehicles sold, that would still be extremely low. I also doubt that GM would have spent the money and time to develop it if it would not have shown a savings on the CAFE.
h422694 is offline   Reply With Quote