Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 08-04-2021, 09:48 PM   #71
wilbur_xmas

Drives: 2020 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
tell me you didnt read the post without actually telling me you didn't read the post.

and i buy autos because i can't drive - under the guise that the autos "are just that good now". err wut
Ha, totally missed it, you were correct. I got too excited to make a F&F joke.
wilbur_xmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 12:53 AM   #72
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Of course you can. Just that at that point you might as well be doing the whole job.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't doing any of your own throttle-blipping take active rev match out of the proceedings?

Norm
totally read your original post wrong....
Old 08-05-2021, 07:26 AM   #73
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 imp View Post
totally read your original post wrong....
I had other things on my mind yesterday (there's this outpatient thing I'm dealing with), but I was sure that I'd read the below in at least one of the recent Camaro Owner Manuals. From the 2020 version, boldface mine.

Quote:
ARM will also:
. Only be active above 25 km/h (16 mph).
. Only match engine speed up to 5400 rpm.
. Not operate when the accelerator pedal is applied.
But hey, if I'm going to try to comment on a forum for cars that I haven't owned and maybe actually driven examples of which only a handful of times at most, I owe everybody else here the duty of having at least some familiarity with the Owners Manuals for those cars and how to find stuff that comes up in discussions.

Norm
Old 08-05-2021, 03:06 PM   #74
Vaska

Drives: On Hiatus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
You're still not quite getting it.

Understand that for me at least, when my car does anything unexpected all on its own, my first thought is going to be along the lines of "WTF just broke?". "What did it just try to help me with or save me from" doesn't even cross my mind until somewhat later. Even if it's as simple a thing as hitting a rev limiter (which I've almost never done). Or, more recently, needlessly conservative TC / stability control intervention in both of the Subarus we've owned.

I'm old (73) with about 57 years of MT driving under my belt. I learned that it was going to be all on me to drive my cars, and to not share that responsibility with anybody else's or anything else's inputs (once I got out of the dual-control driver's ed cars anyway). Hell, I don't even get into ABS unless I'm intentionally trying to do so.

Norm
I must be missing something.

For me, I’m glad it’s off by default. Rev match shifting during city traffic is complete douchbaggery. No one cares about your engine reving. I only turn it on when I need to drop into 3rd on the highway to pass or during shenanigans on an open twisty road. Anywhere else it stays off.
Vaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 10:38 PM   #75
digitalfutur

Drives: 2018 Camaro RS 3.6 A8
Rev matching doesn't sound a whole lot different that manually shifting the A8 or A10. And rev-matching is brought to you by...software!
digitalfutur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 07:44 AM   #76
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalfutur View Post
Rev matching doesn't sound a whole lot different that manually shifting the A8 or A10. And rev-matching is brought to you by...software!
That is not really the same...at all. Rev-matching simply blips the RPM's where they need to be for your intended gear. That is quite different than telling an automatic transmission when to shift.
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 08:02 AM   #77
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaska View Post
I must be missing something.
Most likely a full grasp of the part I boldfaced . . . any time a car of mine did something that I did not specifically call for it to do, it was because something was wrong.

Used to be, incidents like that were caused by something going wrong with the car mechanically. Maybe a tire going down, maybe points bounce making an electronic tach read higher than it should for the gear and road speed, maybe a lifter going away.

Now it's some computer telling me that it either doesn't like what I'm asking the car to do, or thinks it knows better than I do how to do it. Even though I may already know from experience that I'm still asking the car to operate within its limits with margin to spare and with minimal abuse to the components involved. So to me any of these assistances still feel like something about the car suddenly isn't quite right.

Norm