Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-15-2021, 10:19 AM   #1
slowbro

Drives: Toyota Camry
Can anyone tell me if something is off about this engine?

Hi all, I'm thinking about bidding on this Camaro that was involved in a theft and side collision but something about the engine on the car feels off to me. I see that the gauge is displaying a check engine light but this might be from mods the owner installed, it looks like it may have an aftermarket exhaust. The only problem is all I have is a picture and video regarding the engine so I can't look at in person. You guys are much more familiar with these engines than I am so I was wondering if you could tell me if anything is off just from the pictures? Thank you.

Video: https://streamable.com/h6e85b
Attached Images

slowbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 01:39 PM   #2
acutron42

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS AGM
I would pass on it, looks like a bad gamble. Not enough info for me to justify a bid but that is my opinion.
acutron42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 06:59 PM   #3
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
Wth is the rats nest between the fuel rail and coil pack.

From what I see it has a cold air intake and after market plug wires. Cant really see the headers. I also don't know what the can is hanging by cai.
Old 11-15-2021, 08:19 PM   #4
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams76 View Post
Wth is the rats nest between the fuel rail and coil pack.

From what I see it has a cold air intake and after market plug wires. Cant really see the headers. I also don't know what the can is hanging by cai.
Exactly! WTF is that? Have we finally found the real origin of the bat shit virus? I’d second on the pass.
Old 11-15-2021, 08:33 PM   #5
FasNuf

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
The can looks like a rusty ebay catch can. I'de pass like said before....too big a gamble unless it's free or close to.
FasNuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 10:14 PM   #6
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

Drives: 15STI, 10Expy, 10 2SS/RS M6, 47KB1
Looks like a CAI. Is that a BTR decal on the tube? If so, maybe a cam was installed.
GPI SS3 Cam & stuff,N.O. Plate(dedicated fuel tank,progressive,fuel hose upgrade,remote opener,heater,console switches),LNC2000,CTAP,ARH 1 7/8" LTs/gutted cats/X pipe/mufflers,Jet Hot coated LTs,GPI HPT Tune,CAI, Scoop,Rx Catch Can,Gates heater hose relocation, Remote clutch & auto brake res,Metco loop,Momentum Tunnel Brace,TSW Nurb 18",555 & 05,Pfadt trailing arms & toe rods,Autometer WB,Fesler Pillar Pod,LED strips (int),Lloyds floor & trunk mats,LED DRL/front turn & license plate,DRL harness,VLEDs tail lights,Plasticoat Bowties. Ord: Oct 5, 2009 Rec: Nov 19, 2009 13.17@112.6 stock
Badbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 07:19 AM   #7
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
Exactly! WTF is that? Have we finally found the real origin of the bat shit virus? I’d second on the pass.
As stated above, I would pass on this nasty unkept looking car just because of the weird setup under hood!! No telling what kind of trouble you might get into. Just my .02...
Old 11-16-2021, 08:02 AM   #8
George-CZ

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3 and 1978 STROKER 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbro View Post
Hi all, I'm thinking about bidding on this Camaro that was involved in a theft and side collision but something about the engine on the car feels off to me. I see that the gauge is displaying a check engine light but this might be from mods the owner installed, it looks like it may have an aftermarket exhaust. The only problem is all I have is a picture and video regarding the engine so I can't look at in person. You guys are much more familiar with these engines than I am so I was wondering if you could tell me if anything is off just from the pictures? Thank you.

Video: https://streamable.com/h6e85b
How much does he want for it?

K&N CAI, Stainless Power longtubes, high flow cats, modified Ragazzon High Performance axle back, Soler Performance ported throttle body, Soler Performance throttle controller, RAM clutch adjuster, modified LS7 clutch kit, Tick Performance billet bearing support, Tick Performance remote bleeder, separate clutch reservoir, BMR trailing arms, BMR toe rods, Pedders Suspension cradle bushing inserts, Control Arm Bushings, Strut tower brace, oil catch can, Hurst T-handle shifter, 20mm wheel spacers, DBA brakes, QTP Cutouts, Dynosteve tune.
George-CZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 08:45 AM   #9
slowbro

Thanks for the responses everyone! It's an insurance auction so the insurance company will typically let it go for however high it bids up. This means it's unlikely to be doctored up in any way but you guys are right about how unkept that engine looks. I suppose I was just wondering if anything is obviously wrong about the engine but I might look elsewhere. I know Badbubba mentioned it might be cammed, could you tell that from watching the video?
Old 11-16-2021, 09:33 AM   #10
acutron42

It kind of sounds like it but the video isn't the best. I would still steer clear as you have very little information to go on. The car was stolen, wrecked & who knows what other damage there is. If you won the bid then you have a brand new set of problems. Auction fees, possible shipping, title transfer, repairs etc. The car will be most likely branded salvage & your insurance company might not even insure it depending on the company. Being an insurance auction there might be a reserve price on it.
Old 11-16-2021, 09:35 AM   #11
1JEWLDSSRS

The vid wasn't very loud or clear, but yea it kinda sounds like it has a small cam lope to it. I'm guessing a BTR cam since the CAI tube has a BTR sticker on it? lol.
Old 11-16-2021, 09:37 AM   #12
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by acutron42 View Post
It kind of sounds like it but the video isn't the best. I would still steer clear as you have very little information to go on. The car was stolen, wrecked & who knows what other damage there is. If you won the bid then you have a brand new set of problems. Auction fees, possible shipping, title transfer, repairs etc. The car will be most likely branded salvage & your insurance company might not even insure it depending on the company. Being an insurance auction there might be a reserve price on it.
^^^^ great items to note here... Run away brother!!
Old 11-16-2021, 10:29 AM   #13
slowbro

Thanks for the advice everyone! The search continues...
Old 11-16-2021, 10:56 AM   #14
acutron42

Good choice, you will find the right car. Even if you did get it dirt cheap there would still be a long road ahead monetarily & time to make it right. If the auction house is only providing one pic they must be hiding something. Sounds shady to me. Let it be someone else's problem.

Tags
check engine light, engine, fix, problem