The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 02-10-2014, 11:16 PM   #1
StingJay

Drives: 2007 Infiniti G35 S Coupe
Auto Transmission Issue?

Hi All,
I have a z51 Auto trans. Been noticing that the transmission makes a loud sound when I Shift from Park to Reverse when the engine initially starts up from cold. If I wait a bit for it to warm up, it does not appear to happen. Yesterday, I started it up, put it in reverse and it would not go in reverse. Gave it some gas and the loud sound (like a cracking sound) was heard and it then proceeded to go in reverse.
Have any of you experienced that before? Maybe I should let it "warm up" before I start driving.
Thanks and sorry for the non technical terms!
StingJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:38 AM   #2
Hulkamaniac
Livin' the Dream

Drives: '23 Charger GT, '23 Stingray
Have it trailered to the dealership.

My '12 Camaro had the same problem and it was found that the factory had not completely filled the transmission with fluid.

Hulkamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:54 AM   #3
asptroopa1
asptroopa1

Drives: 2014 Corvette
Mine does that every once in a while too when it is cold.....only when parked for like 4-5 days without driving. I checked the fluid and they said it was good but like yours mine would not back up either
asptroopa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:15 PM   #4
StingJay

Drives: 2007 Infiniti G35 S Coupe
Hmm...that's just strange that it would do that. Now I wait till the temp hits 100 degrees F and then go reverse and it doesn't happen. I wonder what else it would be if the transmission fluid level is where it needs to be. Wonder if others are having this issues besides us?
StingJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:00 PM   #5
noname

Drives: 3LT Z51
I have a z51 automatic and start it cold with temps in the 20's and 30's without any difficulty. It backs out of the driveway easily. It sounds like something's wrong with your transmission.
noname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:45 AM   #6
C7Driver

Drives: 2014 Z51 Lime Rock Green
I thought the A6 was a closed system, no dip stick to check fluid levels. I'm picking up my Stingray today (Tuesday) and will be sure to ask the service folks about the tranny fluid level and how it gets checked for a proper fill.
C7Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:10 PM   #7
hotwheels65

Drives: 2014 Limerock Green Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by C7Driver View Post
I thought the A6 was a closed system, no dip stick to check fluid levels. I'm picking up my Stingray today (Tuesday) and will be sure to ask the service folks about the tranny fluid level and how it gets checked for a proper fill.
You're right. Closed system---Dealer only for level check, add fluid, or service. See page 10-17 in the owners manual.
hotwheels65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:13 PM   #8
hotwheels65

Drives: 2014 Limerock Green Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by C7Driver View Post
You're right. It is a closed system. Dealer service only. See page 10-17 in owners manual.
hotwheels65 is offline   Reply With Quote