Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 07-21-2021, 01:49 AM   #1
pat_t

Drives: .
For Sale - used OEM brake pads (full set)

Ray's recent post prompted me to dig these out from the loft and photograph and measure them. He's since confirmed his car doesn't actually need pads, just a sensor issue. I don't need them and figure they might be of use to someone else.

The pads have done only 7000 miles, but a lot of track work. I changed them early as I read that doing so helps to prolong the life of the more expensive carbon rotors when used on track. So the brake pad sensor light wasn't on on my car when I removed these. The fronts have a small amount of mileage left in them, the rears still have loads of life left.

Here are measurements of the remaining pad material, measured near the sensor position. I'm not sure at what depth the sensor light comes on (but interested to find out if anyone else does know?).

FL Outer 4.9mm
FL Inner 5.14mm
FR out 4.8mm
FR in 5.56mm
RL out 7.33mm
RL in 7.75mm
RR out 7.16mm
RR in 7.29mm

A new set of rears runs about $450, best price I could see for a new set of fronts is $551. Plus delivery.

I'll offer these at $250 for the lot. That includes delivery to your door. I can do Paypal.

best regards to all,
Pat

Last edited by pat_t; 08-10-2021 at 05:31 AM.
pat_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 01:53 PM   #2
Hooks112

Drives: '15 Z/28 #698(A/C,AW) & other stuff
I wondered about pad thickness as I freaked out one day getting ready for a track event. I thought my pads were gone for sure. Here's what I remember finding:

Pads start at 10 mm
You should consider replacing the pads at 5 mm, especially if you track the car.
Light comes on around the 3mm mark.

While in HPDE freak out mode, I researched new GM pads but was dismayed to be paying $1k for just the fronts. I ended up calling G-Loc and getting an entire set for less than the GM fronts. I chose GLoc for the following reasons:

Others here seemed to have used them.
When I called, I asked why GM charges so much. He replied "we wonder the same thing!"
If your product sucks, you probably don't stay in business in NASCAR country for 15 years.

Turns out my pads were about 7 mm so I didn't replace them, but I've a new set waiting.
Hooks112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 03:39 PM   #3
HoodCheck

Drives: 2018 ZLE (M6/hyper blue)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooks112 View Post
I wondered about pad thickness as I freaked out one day getting ready for a track event. I thought my pads were gone for sure. Here's what I remember finding:

Pads start at 10 mm
You should consider replacing the pads at 5 mm, especially if you track the car.
Light comes on around the 3mm mark.

While in HPDE freak out mode, I researched new GM pads but was dismayed to be paying $1k for just the fronts. I ended up calling G-Loc and getting an entire set for less than the GM fronts. I chose GLoc for the following reasons:

Others here seemed to have used them.
When I called, I asked why GM charges so much. He replied "we wonder the same thing!"
If your product sucks, you probably don't stay in business in NASCAR country for 15 years.

Turns out my pads were about 7 mm so I didn't replace them, but I've a new set waiting.

Do their pads work with our OEM rotors? I took a look at their site after seeing your comment; it seems they think the Z/28 was 2015-2016 lol
HoodCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 09:19 PM   #4
RaycinSS

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodCheck View Post
Do their pads work with our OEM rotors? I took a look at their site after seeing your comment; it seems they think the Z/28 was 2015-2016 lol
I'm interested to know also. My worst pad still had 7mm left while my best had 9mm but I'd like to get a plan and some pads in hand for when that day comes. Right now I'm having to track down and figure out why my dash light is coming on when all sensors appear to be untouched.
RaycinSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 11:03 PM   #5
SIM GhostrdrZ

Drives: ‘14 Z/28 ‘14 ZL1 M6 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaycinSS View Post
I'm interested to know also. My worst pad still had 7mm left while my best had 9mm but I'd like to get a plan and some pads in hand for when that day comes. Right now I'm having to track down and figure out why my dash light is coming on when all sensors appear to be untouched.
Each brake pad sensor has a connector. Fronts are located inside engine compartment just inside wheel well grommet. The rears are a bit more difficult to get to but are located on rear suspension. So how the system works is simple. If there is an open in any brake pad loop then you get a light. So you can physically look for an area that looks broken or disconnect each connector and put a loop wire to bypass the sensor and see if that light goes out. If so, that’s your issue. Or; you can disconnect and take a multimeter and do a continuity check, if no continuity then that’s your issue. I had found this out when I changed my pads and received corvette pads(which are the same for carbon ceramic model) but they have different sensor wires. Summit are idiots and doesn’t know the Z28 exists but labeled pads for Z28 as well. But they gave me a good discount if I kept them. So I came up with a bypass plug to keep the light off. You cannot get the sensor harness separate from anyone, but a great member sent me his spare harness.
Short story long, pm me if you have questions.

I have a set of (have to double check) C7 front corvette brake sensor harness if anyone is in need
SIM GhostrdrZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 11:16 PM   #6
RaycinSS

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIM GhostrdrZ View Post
Each brake pad sensor has a connector. Fronts are located inside engine compartment just inside wheel well grommet. The rears are a bit more difficult to get to but are located on rear suspension. So how the system works is simple. If there is an open in any brake pad loop then you get a light. So you can physically look for an area that looks broken or disconnect each connector and put a loop wire to bypass the sensor and see if that light goes out. If so, that’s your issue. Or; you can disconnect and take a multimeter and do a continuity check, if no continuity then that’s your issue. I had found this out when I changed my pads and received corvette pads(which are the same for carbon ceramic model) but they have different sensor wires. Summit are idiots and doesn’t know the Z28 exists but labeled pads for Z28 as well. But they gave me a good discount if I kept them. So I came up with a bypass plug to keep the light off. You cannot get the sensor harness separate from anyone, but a great member sent me his spare harness.
Short story long, pm me if you have questions.

I have a set of (have to double check) C7 front corvette brake sensor harness if anyone is in need
SIM GhostrdrZ,

I may be interested in the C7 harness since I have broken mine in chasing down my problem. Your input is valuable and appreciated and I have started a separate thread so I don't hijack Pat's. He's been extremely helpful
RaycinSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 02:34 PM   #7
HoodCheck

Drives: 2018 ZLE (M6/hyper blue)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaycinSS View Post
Contacted them; they say they work with the OEM CCBs. I emailed asking if sensors can be transferred over, but no response as of yet.

@Pat_t, not trying to steal your thread sorry man lol
HoodCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 05:31 AM   #8
pat_t

bump - price drop $250 shipped.
Old 08-10-2021, 07:05 PM   #9
Blownfogger540

Drives: 2013 ZL1 416
ok so who would put these on their $6000 rotors that they would need to spend after ?
Blownfogger540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 09:53 PM   #10
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blownfogger540 View Post
ok so who would put these on their $6000 rotors that they would need to spend after ?
You know I kinda thought the same thing at first but then I realized this is an EXCELLENT set of spare pads to keep with you if you're a track enthusiast. I saw one occasion were a guy smoked his pads (A Vette guy, and not me) and he was scrounging about in an attempt to do two more sessions. For $250, these could save your afternoon.
Old 08-11-2021, 02:00 AM   #11
pat_t

For $250 you're getting a decent set of rear pads, with the free bonus of an emergency set of front pads like ariZona28 said!