Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-24-2015, 10:50 AM   #1
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Question Do You Guys Think This Quote for Paint Work reasonable?

Just wanted to check with the community to see if you guys think this is a good price:

$1,400 total

- Paint flat black parts on the front bumper, (remove/reinstall bumper and grilles) see pic below, currently plasti-dipped

- Prep and paint Anvil spoiler in CRT (fiberglass needs a little work, bolt holes on the decklid need to be opened up a little)

- Paint ZL1 rockers/side skirts and install. (half crt)

I bought all the parts, so this is just paint and labor. This is also the nicest/cleanest body shop ive ever seen, and ive seen some of their work on a few classic cars, its flawless.

Ive never had to get body work done as I am capable of doing it myself, just don't feel like doing it anymore haha.
Attached Images

Old 06-24-2015, 11:35 AM   #2
Bizaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Redhot 1LE
To me it's too much, but if they do quality work you get what you pay for
Bizaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 11:35 AM   #3
maddoggyusa

Drives: 2013 Camaro Dusk 2SS/6
seems a little high to me but if it's a top shop, not bad.
maddoggyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 11:58 AM   #4
DesertCamaro

Drives: Fast
$21 for 3 cans of Plasti-Dip haha.
Old 06-24-2015, 12:06 PM   #5
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertCamaro View Post
$21 for 3 cans of Plasti-Dip haha.
Yeah, well cant plasti dip the spoiler and rockers. And Ive plasti-dipped the front 3 times now, it just doesn't hold up, starts to flake in the corners, hard to wash with the bugs, etc.

I didn't really compromise anywhere else on the car, so Im kinda tired of having plasti-dip look bad after a few months.
Old 06-24-2015, 12:33 PM   #6
GetYouOne

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
Do the labor urself it's simple to take the bumper on and off and the rockers are held on by clips and a few screws.
GetYouOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 12:49 PM   #7
Warpaint69

Drives: 2013 VR 2SS RS
Seems a bit high, but at the same time all the parts being painted are going to have to be hand sanded through all the stages of paint.
Old 06-24-2015, 01:05 PM   #8
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetYouOne View Post
Do the labor urself it's simple to take the bumper on and off and the rockers are held on by clips and a few screws.
Ive taken the bumper off a few times, and im a mechanic so I know how. I just don't want to transport the bumper, spoiler, and rockers after they've been painted and put them on. Getting the grilles on and off is actually a real bitch.

They also have to test fit the spoiler and drill out the bolt holes if they don't line up, which id rather have them do.

If it was just one of the things im having done, I might have had them do it and I install myself, but since the car will already be there, and some the items need extra work to install, I figured id have them do it.

So it seems like they are on the high end, If I can find another really nice shop, ill get another quote to compare. Thanks everyone.

Thought I remember reading other people paying a few hundred to paint rockers, and a few hundred to prep and paint the spoiler, didn't really have anything to compare the custom stuff on the fascia to.

Its also CRT, maybe that costs a little extra, being metallic/tinted clear/tri-coat or w/e
Old 06-24-2015, 01:06 PM   #9
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpaint69 View Post
Seems a bit high, but at the same time all the parts being painted are going to have to be hand sanded through all the stages of paint.
I like your stripes!
Old 06-24-2015, 02:31 PM   #10
GetYouOne

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
I just paid $900 for my bumper, hood, and rear spoiler painted. Seems a bit high.
GetYouOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 02:35 PM   #11
southview

Drives: 08 tahoe, 50 merc
Being a former collision shop owner it seems right. Can you get it done for less? Sure. There's always a backyard shop that will do it cheaper,but you get what you pay for. It always amazed me how people would spend thousands on chrome and wheels, then put a $800 paint job on there car from "Joe's Backyard Body and Bait Shop" Some people are happy with a little bit of dirt in the slightly mismatched paint. I was not one of them. If the shop has a written warranty on there work and you see finished products that are to your standards, GO FOR IT!!
southview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 03:02 PM   #12
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Quote:
Originally Posted by southview View Post
Being a former collision shop owner it seems right. Can you get it done for less? Sure. There's always a backyard shop that will do it cheaper,but you get what you pay for. It always amazed me how people would spend thousands on chrome and wheels, then put a $800 paint job on there car from "Joe's Backyard Body and Bait Shop" Some people are happy with a little bit of dirt in the slightly mismatched paint. I was not one of them. If the shop has a written warranty on there work and you see finished products that are to your standards, GO FOR IT!!
Thanks, makes me feel better. I don't want to compromise on the paint/quality, but I also didn't want to pay way too much. My best friend's dad owns a body shop and would only charge me for paint at cost, and im not even bringing it to him.

He painted my 4th gen, and the "friend price" doesn't justify the paint job you get from someone doing it for free.
Old 06-24-2015, 04:01 PM   #13
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomapunk View Post
Just wanted to check with the community to see if you guys think this is a good price:

$1,400 total

- Paint flat black parts on the front bumper, (remove/reinstall bumper and grilles) see pic below, currently plasti-dipped

- Prep and paint Anvil spoiler in CRT (fiberglass needs a little work, bolt holes on the decklid need to be opened up a little)

- Paint ZL1 rockers/side skirts and install. (half crt)

I bought all the parts, so this is just paint and labor. This is also the nicest/cleanest body shop ive ever seen, and ive seen some of their work on a few classic cars, its flawless.

Ive never had to get body work done as I am capable of doing it myself, just don't feel like doing it anymore haha.
I've done a little paint and body work myself and to me it seems about right for a quality job. Depending on how much work the spoiler and deck lid need, you're looking at about 8-10 hours labor not including the time it takes to actually paint the parts plus materials. Plus you have to remember you have a tri-coat paint and it is naturally more expansive not only paint wise but also labor wise because it requires an extra step.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 04:17 PM   #14
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
Like you said, you have seen some of their work and are flawless. I think $1,400 would be money well spent.
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote