The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 05-31-2015, 07:59 PM   #1
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Overflow and FenwickHockey65 rent a 2015 Mustang V6...and win a rally.

So Overflow and I decided to participate in a rally today. We figured neither of our cars would be good cars to run it so we went to Avis and picked up a 2015 Ford Mustang V6 Convertible.

Being the base model, I didn't have high expectations for it. I was proved wrong pretty quickly. The 3.7L is pretty responsive and makes for a fun driving experience. Even though the V6 was neutered to make room for the EcoBoost, I found it a much better engine in the 2015 model than the 2014 we rented a few months ago. Handling at higher speeds is stable and easily controlled. The new IRS soaks up bumps much better than the ancient ox cart axle that was in the 2014 model. Braking is exceptional.

Interior is pretty decent too, I liked the design, seemingly aircraft inspired (Ground Speed written across the speedometer, as opposed to Air Speed that will be in the 8th gen Mustang with flight capability...?). Gauges are clear and easy to read, the steering wheel and controls are very comfortable to grip and use. Interior materials are decent in most areas, with hard plastic still scattered here and there. Seats were extremely comfortable and supportive with bolsters that held you in place during high speed cornering.

Exterior design is always subjective, but the 2015 model has grown on me considerably. The Fusion-esque front fascia is familiar thanks to all the midsize Ford sedans running around, but more aggressive. The LED DRLs look fantastic and headlights are super bright. The rear end, always a matter of contention, has also grown on me. Sequential taillights are always cool.

Gripes: An odd rev-limiter or transmission gearing that seemed to be trying to protect the engine from exploding but just led to frustration at times. Sync is still a disaster, the car constantly complained that there was no phone linked to the system (despite neither of us asking the car to connect a phone) and apparently kept trying to dial 911 through said non-existent phone (again, without us asking). The seating position for passengers suffers from the same "sitting in a bathtub" feel as early 5th gen Camaros without height-adjustable passenger seats. Paddle shifters are absolutely useless thanks to the seemingly decade-long delay between actuating a shift and the transmission finally responding. And due to the convertible top, it lost the aggressiveness of the fastback design of the Mustang coupe and now the 6th gen Camaro.

Despite these faults, the 6th gen Mustang is definitely a massive improvement over the 5th gen model. Despite a neutered V6 and added weight, it's a much, much better car, more comfortable, more controlled, and more responsive. It'll be interesting to see how well the 6th gen Camaro competes.

Oh, and regarding the rally. We came in first. A rented stock V6 Mustang managed to beat a group of modded cars.

Thanks to Overflow for taking pictures!

Last edited by FenwickHockey65; 05-31-2015 at 09:02 PM.
FenwickHockey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:11 PM   #2
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I have to agree with you on the passenger seat. I basically had to hang half way out the car to get good driving footage of the car next to us during the rally.

Oh and the rev limiter comes off by the way.
Old 05-31-2015, 09:28 PM   #3
stoopid

Drives: 4 wheels
I had a 2015 V6 Stang as a rental for 8 days when in Nevada a few weeks ago. Had the pick of cars at Alamo, and as soon as I saw the new rear end I just had to give the '15 a spin. Already had 15000 rental miles on it, so I obviously wasn't alone in thinking that. It filled the first requirement, fitting 2 large pieces of luggage in the trunk!

Compared to the Gen5 V6 '14 Camaro I had for a year, it was comparable in most performance catagories (Camaro felt better accelerating, neither being particularly quick IMO). I was expecting the Mustang to be peppier but that wasn't my experience. And I definitely pushed it, several times. It felt more composed, and that was about the only thing I could find that I felt it truly excelled [and the comparatively enormous trunk space]. The ride was a touch softer while still feeling capable in a turn. The interior was slightly better, but not a night-and-day thing. I really didn't like some of the controls, especially the layout of buttons for cruise, etc. After 8 days I was still hunting and having to look. We also got nagged by the radio to sync a phone, and to be "aware" of changing conditions (wtf? we were in the DESERT!! lol). Visibility was better than the Gen5, but again only marginally.

Overall I would be pleased with a 2015 Mustang as a daily driver, but didn't feel it was leaps and bounds better than the outgoing Camaro. If the new Camaro is any improvement, it's going to easily meet or top the 'stang in every category.

I was one of the haters of the new look, but I admit it wasn't bothering me by time I returned it. I liked the use of led on the front. The rear never seemed right, still can't put my finger on it.

Last edited by stoopid; 05-31-2015 at 09:38 PM.
stoopid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:28 PM   #4
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
That's a thorough review. Tell us more about the rally.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:31 PM   #5
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
That's a thorough review. Tell us more about the rally.
... Oh boy. Kevin, you can handle this one.
Old 05-31-2015, 09:32 PM   #6
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoopid View Post
I had a 2015 V6 Stang as a rental for 8 days when in Nevada a few weeks ago. Compared to the Gen5 V6 '14 Camaro I had for a year, it was comparable in most performance catagories (Camaro felt better accelerating, neither being particularly quick IMO). I was expecting the Mustang to be peppier but that wasn't my experience. And I definitely pushed it, several times. It felt more composed, and that was about the only thing I could find that I felt it truly excelled. The ride was a touch softer while still feeling capable in a turn. The interior was slightly better, but not a night-and-day thing. I really didn't like some of the controls, especially the layout of buttons for cruise, etc. After 8 days I was still hunting and having to look. We also got nagged by the radio to sync a phone, and to be "aware" of changing conditions (wtf? we were in the DESERT!! lol).

Overall I would be pleased with a 2015 Mustang as a daily driver, but didn't feel it was leaps and bounds better than the outgoing Camaro. If the new Camaro is any improvement, it's going to easily meet or top the 'stang in every category.
One thing I do have to say that the 6th gen Mustang beats the 5th gen Camaro in is visibility... Now that is night and day.
Old 05-31-2015, 09:38 PM   #7
FenwickHockey65

Oh lord. Basically this rally had two parts, how long it took you to get to the end, and answering some questions about the route along the way, for example (BLANK) Farm, and you looked for the farm's sign and filled in the blank.

We arrived at the ending location first. Somehow we still lost to this girl who ran the entire route, very recklessly passing other people and weaving in and out of traffic. There's literally no physical way she could've spotted and figured out more questions than us while driving like that (she blew past several locations that were on the sheet), and she STILL finished behind us. We're assuming they were cheating and Googling the answers by plugging in the given words and looking on the map for the businesses on the roads given on the directions.

So even though we didn't walk away with anything, we're still chalking that up as a win since we got there first.
Old 05-31-2015, 09:43 PM   #8
FenwickHockey65

Oh, and something also fishy: the girl who "won" seemed like she was buddies with the event organizer.
Old 05-31-2015, 09:55 PM   #9
The_Blur

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Oh, and something also fishy: the girl who "won" seemed like she was buddies with the event organizer.
I've seen more than a few car show award recipients have the same relationship.

Old 05-31-2015, 10:05 PM   #10
FenwickHockey65

In the end, it's whatever. We know who the best team and car was and we didn't resort to cheating.
Old 05-31-2015, 10:11 PM   #11
The_Blur

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
In the end, it's whatever. We know who the best team and car was and we didn't resort to cheating.
We'll have to agree to disagree on this one, but at least we know who the best team was.
Old 06-01-2015, 05:00 AM   #12
stoopid

Drives: 4 wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
One thing I do have to say that the 6th gen Mustang beats the 5th gen Camaro in is visibility... Now that is night and day.
Funny you mention that because I added it to my post after you quoted/read it.
stoopid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 07:20 AM   #13
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
I've seen more than a few car show award recipients have the same relationship.

This is how the ending line up was.

1st - Mustang
2nd - BMW
3rd - Mazda2

Somehow, someway 2nd and 3rd place got trophies... But the 1st didn't...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoopid View Post
Funny you mention that because I added it to my post after you quoted/read it.
Now my post looks dumb!
Old 06-01-2015, 08:50 AM   #14
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Nice to see a very honest review of the competition on here
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote