The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 01-30-2015, 07:00 PM   #1
Bulos

Drives: 2015 Z51 2LT CRM & 2006 Scion TC
Cell Phone

What affordable cell phone will pair with Mylink in my 2015 Corvette Z51 and allow address book access? I am currently using an older ATT Android (Huawei) and while it receives calls and allows me to dial out apparently it is not configured to allow Address Book Access. I don't want to spend a lot I don't use the phone all that much but this would be nice to have the Contacts feature operable. I am assuming I could just use the Simm card in the Android or copy it to the new phone? I should add I am on the Gophone plan with ATT.
Bulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 07:07 PM   #2
regguy1

Drives: 2014 Corvette Coupe
I just changed to Republic Wireless. Unlimited calling and text $10.00 per month no contract. You have to buy their phone Motorola Moto G reviews are saying it's nearly as good as I Phone.
$149.00 8 GB / $179.00 16 GB. See it here: https://republicwireless.com/info/plans/

Check here to see if your number is transferable: https://republicwireless.com/tools/number-transfer
regguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 08:45 PM   #3
Bulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by regguy1 View Post
I just changed to Republic Wireless. Unlimited calling and text $10.00 per month no contract. You have to buy their phone Motorola Moto G reviews are saying it's nearly as good as I Phone.
$149.00 8 GB / $179.00 16 GB. See it here: https://republicwireless.com/info/plans/

Check here to see if your number is transferable: https://republicwireless.com/tools/number-transfer
thanks
Old 01-30-2015, 10:27 PM   #4
OldSchool

Drives: 2014 LRG 2LT Z51 Stingray
Verizon has a cheap LG (VS415PP - $49.99) that you can get from a Verizon store or Best Buy. They can transfer your contacts from your old phone when you purchase it, and you can keep your old number.

I had one before upgrading to an iPhone, and the contacts list automatically showed up on the Corvette when I paired the phone. Works well except that the default mode for all apps (and it comes with quite a few) is to automatically check for updates and download them whenever the phone is on if you turn on mobile data. I turned it off so I wasn't unknowingly burning through my data - just manually checked for updates when the phone was in the house and connected to wifi. Verizon's smart phone prepaid plan costs $45 per month with unlimited talk, text, and 500 MB of data (which automatically updates to 1 GB of data if you select automatic payment).

Jim
OldSchool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 08:58 AM   #5
Bulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchool View Post
Verizon has a cheap LG (VS415PP - $49.99) that you can get from a Verizon store or Best Buy. They can transfer your contacts from your old phone when you purchase it, and you can keep your old number.

I had one before upgrading to an iPhone, and the contacts list automatically showed up on the Corvette when I paired the phone. Works well except that the default mode for all apps (and it comes with quite a few) is to automatically check for updates and download them whenever the phone is on if you turn on mobile data. I turned it off so I wasn't unknowingly burning through my data - just manually checked for updates when the phone was in the house and connected to wifi. Verizon's smart phone prepaid plan costs $45 per month with unlimited talk, text, and 500 MB of data (which automatically updates to 1 GB of data if you select automatic payment).

Jim
Appreciate this wonder however if there is a phone that will work on my current
ATT Gophone plan and allow address book access?
Old 01-31-2015, 10:37 PM   #6
OldSchool

Just a thought - you might be able to get access to the contacts on your current phone.

On my iPhone, when I paired it to the Vette, there was a message on the iPhone asking me if I wanted to give the paired device access to the info on the phone. I answered Yes and then the contact list was available on the infotainment screen.

If you weren't looking at your phone when you did the pairing, you may have had the same question on your phone and missed it. Before trading in your phone, it might be worth a shot to remove the phone from the setup on the Vette, then pair it again while watching the phone's screen to see if that question appears.

Jim
Old 02-01-2015, 08:42 AM   #7
Bulos

Quote:
Just a thought - you might be able to get access to the contacts on your current phone.

On my iPhone, when I paired it to the Vette, there was a message on the iPhone asking me if I wanted to give the paired device access to the info on the phone. I answered Yes and then the contact list was available on the infotainment screen.

If you weren't looking at your phone when you did the pairing, you may have had the same question on your phone and missed it. Before trading in your phone, it might be worth a shot to remove the phone from the setup on the Vette, then pair it again while watching the phone's screen to see if that question appears.

Jim

Tried that Jim no prompt............thanks
Old 02-01-2015, 12:36 PM   #8
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
well I know it can be a PITA but you could, one at a time, put numbers in your cars address book. how to do it is on page 14-5 of the o0wners manual....once the numbers are stored.....and your phone is paired......when you hit the phone button and say CALL (the persons name tag) it will call the number stored in the cars phone book using your phone.

Store a Name Tag for Speed Dialing

1. Press Q. System responds: “OnStar ready.”
2. Say “Store.” System responds: “Please say the number you would like to store.”
3. Say the entire number without pausing. System responds: “Please say the name tag.”
4. Pick a name tag. System responds: “About to store <name tag>. Does that sound OK?”
5. Say “Yes” or “No” to try again. System responds: “OK, storing <name tag>.”

Place a Call Using a Stored Number
1. Press Q. System responds: “OnStar ready.”
2. Say “Call <name tag>.” System responds: “OK, calling <name tag>.”
3. The system makes the call using your phone.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:46 PM   #9
OldSchool

Took a look at the GoPhones for sale on the AT&T web site and found the ZTE Z667 Go Phone (http://www.att.com/cellphones/zte/Z6...sku=sku7460773), usually $59.99 on sale right now for $49.99.

It operates on Android 4.4 (KitKat), which is the same operating system as the LG phone from Verizon that I mentioned previously, so it should connect to the Vette, including the Contact List, without any problems.

Sir Nuke: Are you sure that using the steps you suggest you aren't using the OnStar phone, which would require purchasing minutes from OnStar? Only reason I ask is that with my 2010 Camaro I could add contacts as you suggested, but was asked during the process if I was adding contacts for the OnStar phone or the paired phone. The prompts from OnStar would seem to me to indicate this setup was only for the OnStar phone.

Jim
Old 02-01-2015, 01:01 PM   #10
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Quote:
Took a look at the GoPhones for sale on the AT&T web site and found the ZTE Z667 Go Phone (http://www.att.com/cellphones/zte/Z6...sku=sku7460773), usually $59.99 on sale right now for $49.99.

It operates on Android 4.4 (KitKat), which is the same operating system as the LG phone from Verizon that I mentioned previously, so it should connect to the Vette, including the Contact List, without any problems.

Sir Nuke: Are you sure that using the steps you suggest you aren't using the OnStar phone, which would require purchasing minutes from OnStar? Only reason I ask is that with my 2010 Camaro I could add contacts as you suggested, but was asked during the process if I was adding contacts for the OnStar phone or the paired phone. The prompts from OnStar would seem to me to indicate this setup was only for the OnStar phone.

Jim
Those steps are cut/pasted right out of the '15' Vette's Owners manual

as long as you have your phone paired....that works.....when I manually input the numbers in all my GM cars....even with no minutes on my on-star phone....it system states "calling using Nukes phone" which is my cell phone.....and it makers the call.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:38 PM   #11
Bulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
Those steps are cut/pasted right out of the '15' Vette's Owners manual

as long as you have your phone paired....that works.....when I manually input the numbers in all my GM cars....even with no minutes on my on-star phone....it system states "calling using Nukes phone" which is my cell phone.....and it makers the call.
Does this phone use a Simm card?................
Old 02-01-2015, 08:05 PM   #12
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulos View Post
not sure which phone you are talking about.....but my phone is a Galaxy Note 2, Android OS 4.4.2....and It does have a SIMM Card.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:38 PM   #13
Bulos

Quote:

Jim
Old 02-01-2015, 08:44 PM   #14
OldSchool

Technical specs say it takes a microSD card

Take a look here: https://unlock4modem.in/zte-z667-4g-...hone-us-59-99/ says it has one SIM slot