The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 12-08-2012, 10:19 PM   #1
solo40oz

Drives: My wife crazy
Drove a CTS V on the F1 track...

I was able to participate in a cadillac performance lab at the F1 track today (circuit of the americas near Austin for those of you living under a rock). It was pretty awesome...got to drive a CTS V around the track and also got to do some skid pad type stuff in the new ATS (didn't expect much from the ATS going in, but was very impressed after I drove it). So anyway, an engineer from Brembo was there giving a presentation and I asked why the roller skate pads were required on the SS but not the CTS. He sort of laughed and called them the 'Mickey mouse ears'.......and here is what i think i heard...apparently before the Camaro was released, GM was toying with the idea of making the Brembos an upgrade option, but at the last minute decided to make them standard...and that adequate noise testing was not performed before the release. When they realized that noise was a problem, they added the weights to the pads, because the caliper part couldn't be changed (I guess the weight/balance like this would normally be integrated into the caliper).

Another interesting tid bit of info is that it sounds like 'brake by wire' may become mainstream in the next 10 years...sounds like a better failsafe needs to be developed for that before it goes into production cars.....
solo40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:31 PM   #2
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Good stuff. Sounds like an amazing experience.
SPCBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:11 PM   #3
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
I know throttle by wire is the norm now, but for some reason I'm still not likeing the idea of brake by wire either lol
Old 12-09-2012, 12:33 PM   #4
MIKnam67
MIC

Drives: 2012 SSRS 6sp man Blk
I did the same with the V Coupe and V Sedan at Road Atlanta last fall. Awesome cars and drove them both as fast as I could within my ability but most of the ability was the CTS-V.
They told us before we drove that it wasn't our car or tires and there were no cops so drive em like you stole them. So I did.
MIKnam67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:36 PM   #5
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:42 PM   #6
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Quote:
Originally Posted by solo40oz View Post
I was able to participate in a cadillac performance lab at the F1 track today (circuit of the americas near Austin for those of you living under a rock). It was pretty awesome...got to drive a CTS V around the track and also got to do some skid pad type stuff in the new ATS (didn't expect much from the ATS going in, but was very impressed after I drove it). So anyway, an engineer from Brembo was there giving a presentation and I asked why the roller skate pads were required on the SS but not the CTS. He sort of laughed and called them the 'Mickey mouse ears'.......and here is what i think i heard...apparently before the Camaro was released, GM was toying with the idea of making the Brembos an upgrade option, but at the last minute decided to make them standard...and that adequate noise testing was not performed before the release. When they realized that noise was a problem, they added the weights to the pads, because the caliper part couldn't be changed (I guess the weight/balance like this would normally be integrated into the caliper).

Another interesting tid bit of info is that it sounds like 'brake by wire' may become mainstream in the next 10 years...sounds like a better failsafe needs to be developed for that before it goes into production cars.....
If that's what you heard from him , how come even todays Camaros has the Mickey Mouse hears on it then ?
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:10 PM   #7
cmb74656

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM/BLI A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
I know throttle by wire is the norm now, but for some reason I'm still not likeing the idea of brake by wire either lol
Wait until someone introduces 'steering-by-wire'.

MODS: RX Performance catch can, Jegs CAI, ZL1 grille, chrome license plate frame, GM locking gas cap, Defender Worx chrome DRL bezels, GM molded splash guards, Oracle LED side markers, DRLs, tag lights and reverse lamps, Technostalgia Rapid Fire tail lamps, Vitesse shift paddle extenders, MBRP cat back.
FUTURE: long tube headers, front splitter, slotted/drilled rotors, leather console and e-brake handle boot, remote fuel door and rear seat release, sway bars and bushings.
WISH LIST: Edelbrock E-Force SC, LS3 conversion
cmb74656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:42 PM   #8
solo40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post

How fast did you get to go?
Pushed 120 (my buddy hit 140). That track was very tricky
Old 12-09-2012, 04:43 PM   #9
solo40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post
Cadillac is sending video sometime this week, I'll post when I get it
Old 12-09-2012, 04:45 PM   #10
solo40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfriend View Post
If that's what you heard from him , how come even todays Camaros has the Mickey Mouse hears on it then ?
Not sure I understand the question, the conversation was about 5th gens
Old 12-09-2012, 06:20 PM   #11
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by solo40oz View Post
Not sure I understand the question, the conversation was about 5th gens
I'm assuming he meant that since the Camaro has been out for a few years now. How come they haven't gotten rid of the roller skates? And I assume the answer is that they didn't wanna do a bunch of R&D on new calipers when the roller skates seem to be working just fine.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:43 PM   #12
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
Brake by wire sounds scary.
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:33 PM   #13
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmb74656 View Post
Wait until someone introduces 'steering-by-wire'.
Uhhmm...
Old 12-14-2012, 11:22 AM   #14
solo40oz

Cadillac sent a video from the event: