Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-07-2016, 09:51 AM   #15
ForgedReality
Envy

Drives: 2011 SGM 2SS/RS - Black hood/hockey
I deleted my cats and mufflers, and welded in an x-pipe. It sounds AMAZING. People always comment on the road. :P I did not tune out the cats, I did it mechanically with the spark plug defouler trick. TSP Long-tubes, and no mufflers or cats on the LS3 is by far among the best mods I've done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Motorsports View Post

Sorry, that's just way too quiet for me. :/ Doesn't sound that good either. It's too flat. No real growl or raspiness to make it sound mean. Maybe I'm spoiled. :P
ForgedReality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 10:51 AM   #16
harner

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
Cat delete and different mufflers will be a big difference. Add cutouts if you need more. And done!
1994 Trans Am LM7/CPT 4L60E/9"
1987 IROC
2006 Silverado
harner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 10:56 AM   #17
hesster

Drives: '10 C5 SS, '77 Bandit T/A
I started with SP LT Headers, Cat Delete pipe, CAI, and a Borla Atak. I got the Tune from PhasTec at the time, and it was a breeze to upload it. High Flow Cats will quiet down the system a little and reduce back rap and rasp, but I actually like this as it makes it sound really aggressive. Trust me - this set-up sounds wicked. The Atak with LT's and Cat Delete is about as loud as it comes and not for everybody. Now, after the Whipple and Blower Cam, I got a different problem - it is UNGODLY LOUD, and this weekend I figured out that I need to add a Magnaflow 14468 Muffler where the existing X-Pipe section is to return the car to some level of sanity. Looks like it will fit with just a little surgery.

hesster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:48 AM   #18
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleners View Post
Ok I have a 2014 ss2 Manual LS3 camaro. Full length headers, HF cats, CAI intake, xpipe dual Carvan through mufflers. Custom dyno tune. Car feels awesome. Can't keep traction power.
Issue is sound I drive next to stock mustangs and challengers and those just roar. My camaro is so silent. Sound wise what should I do? Ditch the cats? Get a different muffler setup?

Keep the cats. Just get different mufflers
Old 03-07-2016, 12:04 PM   #19
justjoshin

Drives: 2010 SW 1SS L99 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomapunk View Post
Keep the cats. Just get different mufflers
Old 03-07-2016, 02:33 PM   #20
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgedReality View Post

Sorry, that's just way too quiet for me. :/ Doesn't sound that good either. It's too flat. No real growl or raspiness to make it sound mean. Maybe I'm spoiled. :P
It is a straight thru chambered exhaust so it is as loud as straight pipe. Louder than the Borla ATAK. It definitely has no rasp though. It is a very deep tone.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 03:18 PM   #21
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
You young whippersnappers and your noisy exhaust!
When I beat up on Mustangs and Challengers.....I like to quietly go about my business. Leaving them to wonder if they just got beat by a stock Camaro.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 03:30 PM   #22
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Motorsports View Post
It is a straight thru chambered exhaust so it is as loud as straight pipe. Louder than the Borla ATAK. It definitely has no rasp though. It is a very deep tone.
There's no way though that you can actually capture the tone of an exhaust with your average or even above average microphone.

The difference in person is night and day.

JDP's main driver (forgot his name) was running the SW Retro Chambered exhaust set up at Houston/Baytown's Camarofest and had EVERYONE turning their heads.
Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 03:47 PM   #23
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmpsix View Post
There's no way though that you can actually capture the tone of an exhaust with your average or even above average microphone.

The difference in person is night and day.

JDP's main driver (forgot his name) was running the SW Retro Chambered exhaust set up at Houston/Baytown's Camarofest and had EVERYONE turning their heads.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 04:12 PM   #24
xXSicSicSicXx

Drives: 14 1LE
car sounds quieter from the cabin.. people behind you hear it differently.
xXSicSicSicXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 06:26 PM   #25
Magna_Flow

Drives: 2015 ZL1
We would recommend deleting the mufflers first before doing anything else. We often see people make their car TOO loud, resulting in more money/time spent to get it back to a livable volume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesster View Post
I started with SP LT Headers, Cat Delete pipe, CAI, and a Borla Atak. I got the Tune from PhasTec at the time, and it was a breeze to upload it. High Flow Cats will quiet down the system a little and reduce back rap and rasp, but I actually like this as it makes it sound really aggressive. Trust me - this set-up sounds wicked. The Atak with LT's and Cat Delete is about as loud as it comes and not for everybody. Now, after the Whipple and Blower Cam, I got a different problem - it is UNGODLY LOUD, and this weekend I figured out that I need to add a Magnaflow 14468 Muffler where the existing X-Pipe section is to return the car to some level of sanity. Looks like it will fit with just a little surgery.
That X-muffler should work well for you, Hester. We have had a few other customers with loud exhaust systems do the same thing with positive results.
Magna_Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 10:09 PM   #26
GetSmart

Drives: 2013 Black SS
Like some others have said....cutouts.....i have them after the headers and its loud. When you don't want them loud you can close them.
Rotofab CAI, VMAX PTB, Borla S axle-back, Dynatech SuperMaxx 1 7/8" headers/HF cats, No weeds exhaust diverters, Apex air scoop & catch can, Rohana wheels, MPD1 Z-Force Hood, BTR Stage 3 cam, Vitesse Throttle Controller, etc...
GetSmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 10:41 PM   #27
Gcodetx

Drives: 13 ss 1le
I'm running stainless power 1 7/8" LT (no cats) and stainless works 3" inch catback (no mufflers) with a night fury cam... It's LOUD.
Gcodetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 04:12 AM   #28
USAFS197

Drives: 2018 Audi TT RS
It might also just be perspective. I have 2" long tubes, no cats and NPP exhaust with the fuse pulled. I've been told by folks that my car is really, really loud but, to me, in the drivers seat, it's pretty quiet.
About as fast as the TT RS
2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Sold
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Sold
2019 Corvette Z06
Sold
2021 Charger Hellcat Redeye Widebody
Sold
USAFS197 is offline   Reply With Quote