Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 12-17-2015, 11:02 PM   #29
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 63falcondude View Post
The 5th gen had a physical key correct? I have read that cars are more difficult to steal with the push button/proximity key combo.
Quite the opposite is true. BMW had a lot of problems with this in Europe. The RFID is captured and cloned then the car is gone.

Have a read into this.

http://jalopnik.com/keyless-thefts-a...hic-1683557913
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 12:07 AM   #30
lDejavul

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drm2Reality View Post
This is insane! Void a warranty on a car engineered to go over 100mph.

If this is a true story FORD here I come!
I love how a dude with 3 posts has you saying ford here I come. You think if this was the case that ford would be any different. What you should be scared of is insurance companies not insuring you unless you connect their sensor to your obd.

Eventually it will be illegal to drive your own vehicle or cost you big bucks in insurance. What a strange world we live in.
Dual Mode Exhaust
MRC
Splash Guards

1G1FG1R74G0124089
lDejavul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 06:31 AM   #31
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:

If even remotely true, there is far more to the story.

And no, posting the letter is meaningless. I could write the letter right now with GM logo and a fake signature. So that won't even do it for me.

GM does not use OnStar in this manner.

Sirius/XM on the other hand.....................
Old 12-18-2015, 06:34 AM   #32
paul84043

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
Quote:

Ford has their own service that is exactly like OnStar.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 06:41 AM   #33
laborsmith

Drives: 1969 Corvair, 2018 Camaro T4 RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by lDejavul View Post
What you should be scared of is insurance companies not insuring you unless you connect their sensor to your obd.
This.

Laborsmith
laborsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 06:41 AM   #34
TheCaptain
N7 Spectre

Drives: 14 ATS Performance 3.6L AWD
Send a message via MSN to TheCaptain
I think if you are worried about OnStar and it's 'tracking' or anything else, you can take your tinfoil hat off, and put it over the antenna. Or build a second tinfoil hat for your car.
Old 12-18-2015, 07:38 AM   #35
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Can assure you GM treats any data collected as just that, data.

I had a job at GM regarding collecting customer usage data. I was emphatically told there was NO WAY to associate the data with the owner, it would NOT be allowed. There were significant protections put in place to ensure customer privacy.

Google GM and Volt regarding this. GM publicly acknowledged collecting customer usage data for the Volt and clearly laid out the details.

Everyone else should just get your aluminum hats ready.
It's just the fact that GM has or can get any data at all about my car is a bit disconcerting. The data breaches at Home Depot and Target had me seriously considering going to straight cash and check and destroying my credit card. I haven't owned a car yet with on-board telecom. Not very comfortable with that.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 07:49 AM   #36
cartem2

Drives: Nightfall Gray 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul84043 View Post
If I had my way, I would not have a computer, or Cell phone and I would live in a cave and sleep next to my Camaro. but my wife would probably not like that.
LOL
Old 12-18-2015, 08:17 AM   #37
Drm2Reality

Drives: Possibly a 1LE in the near future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lDejavul View Post
I love how a dude with 3 posts has you saying ford here I come. You think if this was the case that ford would be any different. What you should be scared of is insurance companies not insuring you unless you connect their sensor to your obd.

Eventually it will be illegal to drive your own vehicle or cost you big bucks in insurance. What a strange world we live in.
When GM spends millions talking about how "track capable" their car is and engineers their car to outperform on the track and then starts voiding warranties because of mph or where/how the car is used....yes I have a big problem with that.

Just the sheer fact that gm utilizes on star to track your every move is bad enough. I'm going to have to check out what GMs competition does to track the same info.

But again I said if that is true - I would really be interested on the timing. I drove my zl1 on the track at 140mph+ and never received anything from GM.
Drm2Reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 09:42 AM   #38
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ.
My friend has a 2014 1LE SS and it has LT's, a cam and a ECS blower, he had it on the dyno to tune it and On-Star was calling his cell phone numerous times because he was excceding 100 MPH several times, he did not hear his phone ringing, the result, On-Star contacted his dealer and they voided his waranty!
So a couple things are going on here, did your friend have an active OnStar subscription? I'm guessing so, otherwise OnStar would not be contacting him. If you get in an accident without a subscription to OnStar, they won't do anything. So I'm guessing your friend had OnStar activated, which is completely his fault.

The second thing, he put in an aftermarket cam, headers, and a blower, his warranty would be gone as soon as his car was tuned. So I really do not see what your getting at.

All this tinfoil hat crap, good grief.
Old 12-18-2015, 12:43 PM   #39
V6CamaroRS

Drives: '14 V6 RS, DM Exhaust, Sunroof
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARTAN sui View Post
The second thing, he put in an aftermarket cam, headers, and a blower, his warranty would be gone as soon as his car was tuned. So I really do not see what your getting at.
This.

Also, OnStar tracks the vehicle's position. The idea that OnStar would interfere with a 100MPH speedometer reading when the car is visibly going nowhere (clearly a dyno test) also raises some questions on the veracity of this story.
Old 12-18-2015, 03:32 PM   #40
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
It's just the fact that GM has or can get any data at all about my car is a bit disconcerting. The data breaches at Home Depot and Target had me seriously considering going to straight cash and check and destroying my credit card. I haven't owned a car yet with on-board telecom. Not very comfortable with that.
It's just not associated with you unless you want it to be. There is no data that can be hacked from OnStar from your car that matters.

Now if you given OnStar a credit card on file to pay your monthly bill, sure a hacker can get that just like Home Depot or Target.

One, GM isn't the only one using "telematics" to do this. I believe in most cases, you have to agree to let them do it. The Volt owners had to agree.

Anything on the CAN bus is knowable via telematics, including OnStar.

But here is a benefit. If you, for example, get a check engine light, you can call OnStar and they can tell you what it is.

And anyone concerned about OnStar is hopefully not using a cell phone.

Here is an interesting article.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...ivacy/1991751/
Old 12-18-2015, 03:41 PM   #41
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
It's just not associated with you unless you want it to be. There is no data that can be hacked from OnStar from your car that matters.

Now if you given OnStar a credit card on file to pay your monthly bill, sure a hacker can get that just like Home Depot or Target.

One, GM isn't the only one using "telematics" to do this. I believe in most cases, you have to agree to let them do it. The Volt owners had to agree.

Anything on the CAN bus is knowable via telematics, including OnStar.

But here is a benefit. If you, for example, get a check engine light, you can call OnStar and they can tell you what it is.

And anyone concerned about OnStar is hopefully not using a cell phone.

Here is an interesting article.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...ivacy/1991751/
Awesome! More of our privacy taken away! Pretty soon tickets will be arriving in the mail for speeding without ever being pulled over by an officer.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 04:24 PM   #42
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSport16 View Post
Awesome! More of our privacy taken away! Pretty soon tickets will be arriving in the mail for speeding without ever being pulled over by an officer.
Ummmm they already are. Red Light Cameras are prevalent in some states. No need to get pulled over.

Also, if you have a toll road, it's very easy to determine if you've been speeding between stations.

License plate cameras? All over the place.

You are being watched and recorded far more than what your car can ever do. It's just subtle and not in your face.

You don't think your phone company or Google can determine where you are or how fast you are going? Google is so deep into your email and locations via your phone than your car ever will be. A friend swears he is now getting targeted emails from things he has only talked about in the presence of his phone. Never searched the topic using google. You know that Android feature that lets you "wake up" your phone by talking to it?

You guys are acting like OnStar is this horrible evil thing when you are surrounded by far more horrible and evil things that no one complains about.

We handed over our privacy to Google and Facebook quite some time ago. OnStar is just a piker.

Last edited by Number 3; 12-18-2015 at 05:31 PM.
Number 3 is offline   Reply With Quote