Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-20-2015, 05:01 PM   #43
SWAG1LE

Drives: 2013 1LE
Just an observation I have made in regards to my oil pressure and oil temps. I can tell when my engine's oil needs to be changed. I put like 1,500 miles on my car very 4 months. In that time towards the 4th month my oil PSI is above 33 (at idle) and the oil temperature after a few WOT's (when engine is properly warmed up) creeps up to 210'ish.

After I change the oil the PSI is a few tics below 30 and the oil temp never hits 200. I also do not hear as much engine "chatter"...these observations both scare and fascinate me. I am not saying the oil is breaking down, but I think my low miles POSSIBLY make the engine accumulate a lot of contamination due to water vapors and by-products of combustion not being properly burned up (short city driving trips). Who knows...all I know is that my car seems happier every 4 to 5 months after oil changes.

OP glad your car is back up and running! I think I will go with a Cam Motion...
Old 04-21-2015, 01:14 PM   #44
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAG1LE View Post
Just an observation I have made in regards to my oil pressure and oil temps. I can tell when my engine's oil needs to be changed. I put like 1,500 miles on my car very 4 months. In that time towards the 4th month my oil PSI is above 33 (at idle) and the oil temperature after a few WOT's (when engine is properly warmed up) creeps up to 210'ish.

After I change the oil the PSI is a few tics below 30 and the oil temp never hits 200. I also do not hear as much engine "chatter"...these observations both scare and fascinate me. I am not saying the oil is breaking down, but I think my low miles POSSIBLY make the engine accumulate a lot of contamination due to water vapors and by-products of combustion not being properly burned up (short city driving trips). Who knows...all I know is that my car seems happier every 4 to 5 months after oil changes.

OP glad your car is back up and running! I think I will go with a Cam Motion...
I haven't tested this on this platform, but on previous applications with other makes, I observed the opposite on the aftermarket VDO oil pressure Gauge. As the oil got older, and consequently the oil filter dirtier, oil pressure would drop a tad. This is how I knew it was time to replace the filter and oil. Once I would replace, oil psi would rise again.

Now you have got me curious for the LS3.

Interesting.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote