Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 06-21-2014, 05:07 PM   #1
solo40oz

Drives: My wife crazy
I'm prepping for HPDE and saw this - any advice?

Hey all - I'm doing an HPDE at COTA next weekend and I'm going through inspection and prep right now.

Question 1:
I took my pads off to measure thickness and I have a small chunk missing in a front pad (I'm pretty sure I'm a bonehead and bumped this when taking it off just now - see bottom right corner of picture) - should I be concerned about using this pad for a single day event with 5 total runs?

Question/Observation 2:
I still have the stock pads. The total thickness of a new OE pad+backplate is 9/16" (plate is 3/16", so total pad is 6/16"). My current pads still have 7/16" pad+backplate. I'm a little bit surprised by this, because I've done 6 full track days and a few autocross events - I was expecting to have a bit more wear on the pad. The group I'm driving with this week has 3/4 pad thickness on the inspection sheet (which seems odd - other groups I've been with said 40%) - I'm at 2/3 right now. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the old pads - anyone have any thoughts here?
Attached Images

solo40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 05:13 PM   #2
tw78911sc

Drives: 14 1SS Camaro 1LE, NPP, Recaros
Depends on how hard you drive, I'd pitch them now. The less material there is, the more heat goes into the caliper, boils fluid, etc..... I have used a new set a racing pads in a one day track event, better to be able to run all your sessions safely than to call it a day early and not limp home. Even better, always take a extra pair to the track.
tw78911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 12:46 AM   #3
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by solo40oz View Post
Hey all - I'm doing an HPDE at COTA next weekend and I'm going through inspection and prep right now....
Can you tell me what group your running with? I'm new to Austin and have been looking for HPDE groups, especially ones that run at COTA. Thanks, in advance...
Old 06-22-2014, 08:11 PM   #4
solo40oz

Drives: My wife crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by brt3 View Post
Can you tell me what group your running with? I'm new to Austin and have been looking for HPDE groups, especially ones that run at COTA. Thanks, in advance...
Welcome to Austin. I'm running COTA with Edge Addicts...my first time with this group.
http://www.edgeaddicts.com/

Texas world speedway in college station has both Drivers edge and their own TWS group.

Also check out harris hill.

I'm going to have to get a ride in your z/28.
solo40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:28 AM   #5
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
COTA is very hard on brakes from what I hear. I spoke with a PCA instructor about it when I was getting my helmet for a TWS event. At TWS, I experienced minor brake fade after the front straight, so I would expect same/worse at COTA with stock pads. I just slowed down some and still had fun.

Make sure your lugs nuts are fully tightened to 140 ft/lbs to lessen the potential of worping your rotors.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:44 AM   #6
wakespeak

Quote:
Also Chin Motorsports.http://www.chinmotorsports.com/COTA.aspx
Old 06-23-2014, 02:56 PM   #7
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
Did you notice this post?

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348705

T.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:47 AM   #8
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by solo40oz View Post
Welcome to Austin. I'm running COTA with Edge Addicts...my first time with this group.
http://www.edgeaddicts.com/

Texas world speedway in college station has both Drivers edge and their own TWS group.

Also check out harris hill.

I'm going to have to get a ride in your z/28.
Thanks for that! Happy to take you for a ride, though I can't make the COTA event... :(

Trying to make the later COTA event with Chin, but they're sold out. On the wait list...
Old 06-24-2014, 09:53 AM   #9
wakespeak

Quote:
Thanks for that! Happy to take you for a ride, though I can't make the COTA event... :(

Trying to make the later COTA event with Chin, but they're sold out. On the wait list...
I forgot to mention that the instructor I spoke with in PCA said to "come on out" as the club is open to all cars. I think the same is true for BMW CCA. Both go to COTA.

I plan to go back to TWS this fall starting in late Sept depending on availability. TWS is an excellent 2.9 mile track. Unfortunately it is closing sometime next year due to local development - very sad. For the track's performance driving school, you can join the clubregistration.net site without a specific event in mind and view the cars signed up in the different groups to get an idea of who is attending.