Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-31-2019, 01:47 AM   #15
King Nothing
Under a Peterbilt

Drives: Rogue, Durango and Camaro
Unless you know how to do a/c work and have the proper equipment, don’t try to do it yourself.

All seals need to be replaced, the system needs to go into a vacuum for at least 45 minutes to get the moisture out and even then your compressor is still probably going to fail eventually. Once it’s had moisture and atmospheric pressure in it, it’s days are numbered and do you really want to pay for it to be done twice? Also, replace the expansion valve and the desiccant bag . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
Like I stated before, if the system is too low on refrigerent, the compressor may not turn on. The factory service manual would be best resource to diagnose something like this. Oh, and get/rent a A/C manifold gauge set and buy some R134a refrigerant. Much better than paying some shop $1k+ to fiddle around with it.
Need a few more things than that. Scale for the r-134a, PAG oil, seals, expansion valves d definitely need to know how to use/read gauges. Did you forget you need to put it into a vacuum also, kinda need that to get the moisture out and to get the air out. Unless he wants to keep the warm air lol
Sold-2000 Camaro SS A4 Hardtop #867 of 8913
1 of 103 Bright Rally Red Hardtop SS A4 in 2000
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 By Berger #11BC21
King Nothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 09:37 AM   #16
MetalHeadDude

Drives: 2015 V6 LT2 Manual
Any dealer?! The dealer is saying to change the compressor. I think the dealer is lying his a$$ off.
MetalHeadDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 09:41 AM   #17
MetalHeadDude

I live in an apartment complex. I am not allowed to even change the oil here, let alone A/C diagnosis and repair. Man, I miss my mechanic in Arizona :(
Old 05-31-2019, 09:44 AM   #18
152LTRockin
Account Suspended

Drives: 15 2lt RS Top Gun Camaro
Go someplace else if you don't trust the dealer. Just ask for a diagnoses and repair estimate. These are fairly simple systems.
152LTRockin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 09:48 AM   #19
MetalHeadDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by 152LTRockin View Post
Go someplace else if you don't trust the dealer. Just ask for a diagnoses and repair estimate. These are fairly simple systems.
I've already been to 2 Midas shops. Neither of them want to touch it and they both referred me to the dealer. I am starting to think the Midas shops are in cahoots with the dealership in this small town.

I'm gonna take it to a far away Meineke or dealership next.

But King Nothing had a good point that the compressor days will be numbered after any of these repairs.
Old 05-31-2019, 10:15 AM   #20
KenKat

Drives: 2014 2LT RS Summit White
I disagree that just because the system has had a leak and loses pressure, the compressor is toast. The system just needs to be properly evacuated before recharge after any leaks have been fixed.
KenKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 10:21 AM   #21
King Nothing
Under a Peterbilt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalHeadDude View Post
I've already been to 2 Midas shops. Neither of them want to touch it and they both referred me to the dealer. I am starting to think the Midas shops are in cahoots with the dealership in this small town.

I'm gonna take it to a far away Meineke or dealership next.

But King Nothing had a good point that the compressor days will be numbered after any of these repairs.
Yup the longer the system is open to air, the better chances you have of everything needing replacement.
Old 05-31-2019, 11:00 AM   #22
152LTRockin
Account Suspended

The problem with a open system is everything inside the system starts to oxidize and rust including the seals. Personally if it were mine I'd buy a cheap 20 dollar refill canister at Walmart hook it up and see if the system has any pressure. If it does I'd try adding and see if it turns on the compressor. You could do this in the Walmart parking lot, the low pressure port is on the drivers side near firewall next to the engine on the larger silver line going down to the compressor. WEAR SAFETY GLASSES AT ALL TIMES IF YOU ATTEMPT THIS.
Old 05-31-2019, 12:33 PM   #23
MetalHeadDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by 152LTRockin View Post
The problem with a open system is everything inside the system starts to oxidize and rust including the seals. Personally if it were mine I'd buy a cheap 20 dollar refill canister at Walmart hook it up and see if the system has any pressure. If it does I'd try adding and see if it turns on the compressor. You could do this in the Walmart parking lot, the low pressure port is on the drivers side near firewall next to the engine on the larger silver line going down to the compressor. WEAR SAFETY GLASSES AT ALL TIMES IF YOU ATTEMPT THIS.
There is definitely no pressure. Even Midas confirmed this. Midas says there is a huge leak at the A/C lines and the compressor. He says there is no need to change the compressor, but he can't fix it. The dealer says: oh let's change the compressor and then find out where the leak is!! If it's something as simple as a gasket, then I need to find the right mechanic to do this.
Old 05-31-2019, 12:53 PM   #24
152LTRockin
Account Suspended

I agree, there are seals at the compressor a monkey could change. Tell dealer to change the seals then test it.
Old 05-31-2019, 02:23 PM   #25
King Nothing
Under a Peterbilt

Quote:
There is definitely no pressure. Even Midas confirmed this. Midas says there is a huge leak at the A/C lines and the compressor. He says there is no need to change the compressor, but he can't fix it. The dealer says: oh let's change the compressor and then find out where the leak is!! If it's something as simple as a gasket, then I need to find the right mechanic to do this.
You’re A/C won’t last if you leave the parts that have had moisture get to them. How much do you want to spend on A/C? You’ll be redoing your A/C ever year if you don’t replace the parts.
Old 05-31-2019, 02:43 PM   #26
MetalHeadDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Nothing View Post
You’re A/C won’t last if you leave the parts that have had moisture get to them. How much do you want to spend on A/C? You’ll be redoing your A/C ever year if you don’t replace the parts.
The problem is I don't know how long it's been broken because I did not use it the entire winter. So the moisture might've already got to them.

So maybe the dealer is right by replacing the compressor first and then going about checking the rest of the system. He did say there'd be more to do after the $1100. I am willing to spend $2K if the A/C is fully fixed for a few years. Still a better deal than an extended warranty that I declined 4 years ago
Old 05-31-2019, 04:53 PM   #27
King Nothing
Under a Peterbilt

Quote:
The problem is I don't know how long it's been broken because I did not use it the entire winter. So the moisture might've already got to them.

So maybe the dealer is right by replacing the compressor first and then going about checking the rest of the system. He did say there'd be more to do after the $1100. I am willing to spend $2K if the A/C is fully fixed for a few years. Still a better deal than an extended warranty that I declined 4 years ago
It could be since last week or last November, it’s still bad. If you fix it correctly, the A/C will be good for the life of the car . . . unless you rupture a line.
Old 05-31-2019, 05:43 PM   #28
152LTRockin
Account Suspended

Ridicules........but that's how things go today. I feel like I'm dealing with idiots. Hey anyone can spend your money.............For 2k I'll hire dancing girls to fix your AC!

Tags
a/c