Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-02-2017, 09:07 PM   #1
Joeko23

Drives: None
Easy LSA Upgraded

Hey guys, I'm in the process of building a 69 Camaro with an LSA and want to add a few extra hp to the stock LSA without dumping a ton of money into it. So I'm looking for easy most bag for your buck mods. I'm going with a stock Zl1 fuel pump with a Vaporworx system for fuel management. The LSA currently has stock injectors. I will have to get a custom radiator and intercooler but am planning to use the stock intercooler pump (maybe). I'm thinking a damper pulley combined with a sc pulley but I have no idea which ones require new injector, fuel pump boosters, retune, etc.
Joeko23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 09:44 PM   #2
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
Sounds like it will be a nice setup. The LSA is a solid engine that can take a lot and responds well to mods. Sticking with the stock ZL1 fuel pump and especially injectors will limit what mods you can do. I'm not familiar with Vaporworx, but an aftermarket fuel boost a pump can help keep the fuel pressure steady at WOT. The ZL1 intercooler pump is actually pretty good.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 10:37 PM   #3
Joeko23

I'm not against swapping injectors, I just don't want it to spiral into increasing fuel pressure, cam, etc. easy cheap bolt on mods is what I'm looking for. As far as the vaproworx system. It's pretty much like the stock WPM fuel management system except hat I can't use the stock system because I don't have a BCM to control the stock WPM system. The vaporworx system is also WPM but uses MAF to control fuel pressure.
Old 07-02-2017, 10:43 PM   #4
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Right from the vaporworx website:
For fuel modules, two excellent choices from GM are available. First is the Gen5 ZL1 module. Good for up to 650FWHP gasoline, this reasonably priced part will work well for engines with mild modifications such as headers, 2-3psi extra boost, a mild camshaft, and a good tune. ..
How much do you want to spend and how much hp increase are you looking for.
For example a cold air intake and 5% overdrive pulley might go without a new tune and injectors and pump. That's the short answer to your question.
Headers and cam are good for the buck upgrades for the LSA. LS9 cam and springs, and Texas speed headers for price conscious. IDK if you can do those without a new tune.
NJ has e85 easily available? Might need new injectors and pump along with sensor and tune. A few thousand bucks there.
A ported intake or heads gives hp.
Things that might not return much bang for the buck at the 700whp level or less are heat exchanger and tanks and pump items, throttle body mods or changes, ported snout or supercharger or oil catch can.
Keep in mind also if you increase your boost a lot not only will it require a tune but also 93 octane or race gas which can be inconvenient and expensive.
https://www.jreperformanceparts.com/...ormance-parts/
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 11:00 PM   #5
Joeko23

I don't mind a tune because I will need a new tune anyway. As far as budget goes let's say under 1k. I'm thinking pulleys are best for me. But how much hp gain will I get? There are a lot of pulleys out there up to 28%. I guess what pulley can I use to get around 650hp and will I need new injectors? If so which ones? Thanks!
Old 07-02-2017, 11:28 PM   #6
STUNNAH
"BEASTM*DE"

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeko23 View Post
I don't mind a tune because I will need a new tune anyway. As far as budget goes let's say under 1k. I'm thinking pulleys are best for me. But how much hp gain will I get? There are a lot of pulleys out there up to 28%. I guess what pulley can I use to get around 650hp and will I need new injectors? If so which ones? Thanks!
Pulleys want be the problem...Fueling is your major concern because you will need larger injectors and at least a BAP to get to 650rwhp safely and 1k will not get you close, unless you find those items used in the for sale section...

STUNNAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 12:01 AM   #7
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
That's why I said a 5% pulley and intake such as roto fab will be under $1k.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=396232

https://www.jreperformanceparts.com/...ition-package/ "75hp no tune package $1k"

Maybe you could run the 5% pulley on 91 octane, barely. That comes in at your budget. If that's too much money then I'd say one of either Cold air intake, pulley, or headers.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 01:34 AM   #8
STUNNAH
"BEASTM*DE"

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversleeper View Post
That's why I said a 5% pulley and intake such as roto fab will be under $1k.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=396232

https://www.jreperformanceparts.com/...ition-package/ "75hp no tune package $1k"

Maybe you could run the 5% pulley on 91 octane, barely. That comes in at your budget. If that's too much money then I'd say one of either Cold air intake, pulley, or headers.
Those are great suggestions and I believe that he is doing this build himself...However, if it were me I would do the motor swap, get the fueling correct, wait awhile to make certain the build is solid, then start planning for mod upgrades...My fear would be doing to much on the front could lead to a lost motor...JMO...

STUNNAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 07:52 AM   #9
Joeko23

So if I have a 10% pulley and cold air intake that will get me 75rwhp? Or is that with the race fuel?
Old 07-03-2017, 10:44 AM   #10
Joeko23

Yes I'm doing the build myself. The only reason why I would want to do the mod sooner rather than later because the engine will be out of the car so access will be super easy. I wouldn't want to start messing with stuff once everything is installed, painted etc. if I go with lower 18% pulley, what changes will need to be made? Car will run on premium which is 91.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:44 AM   #11
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
10% Pulley is doable on the stock injectors, however I say go big or go home and skip that idea and just get:

ID850 Injectors (~$850)
2.55" Supercharger pulley or 9.1" crank pulley (Both are 18% OD)
Air intake (Not sure how you're going to do this/if the ZL1 kits will bolt onto your build)
Headers (Kooks, ARH, Dynatech, etc.) Again, no idea how these'll fit on your build.
Dyno Tune from a good shop

You should be good on cooling if you don't go over those mods. If you run more than that, you'll need cooing upgrades and I don't know how bolting an Afco or similar Heat exchanger meant for ZL1s will work on your 69.

A cam can be added to the above in addition to a little more pulley. Now you're probably up to the $10,000 number.

Let us know if you have more questions. Again, if all you're interested in is a little boost in power, the JRE 75 RWHP "TUNE" edition is your best bet. However I've seen lots of cars run out of fuel with a 10% Over drive on the stock fueling setup. Some cars even run out at 5% (Like @Crash76's car). You also have people running 18% over drive on the stock injectors with their injector duty cycle pegged at over 110% and they run "fine".

I say do it right and do injectors. Once you do injectors, the sky is nearly the limit.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 11:19 AM   #12
Joeko23

My concern is that I'm limited in fuel pressure by the vaporworx system. If I get 850 injectors can the oem fuel pump support those injectors or will I need a voltage booster for the pump?
Old 07-03-2017, 12:43 PM   #13
BEECHFRONT

Drives: 2013-ZL1, 69-Z28, 71-CHEVELLE SS
Joeko, what part of jersey are you from? I have a 69 also and have been thinking about doing the same swap.
2019 HELLCAT REDEYE WB
69-Z28, LSA SWAP, T56 MAGNUM
71-CHEVELLE SS, 496 STROKER TH400
BEECHFRONT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 02:46 PM   #14
Jkelley3209

Drives: Savage ls
Go check out coverman66 on YouTube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jkelley3209 is offline   Reply With Quote