Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 05-23-2017, 04:10 PM   #715
Lawdog86

Drives: 2011 2SS Black w/Orange Stripes
Great install video,https://youtu.be/jP28s8uyjVI, these guys have a great youtube page, very helpful!
Lawdog86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 05:59 AM   #716
SWRocket

Drives: 2021 2SS
Power and ground to Pioneer NEX

A little confused with the radio connections coming out of the PAC.
The black, red and yellow wires all run into some kind of shrink wrapped circuit board, and then a single red wire comes out.
My HU needs all three wires (R,B,Y) connected though.
Nowhere in the instructions does it explain this circuit board or what to do with it...

NEVER MIND, figured it, my mistake.
Attached Images

2021 2SS A10 - Summit White - NPP - MRC - Adrenaline Red Interior Pkg - Black Appearance Pkg - Ground Effect Pkg - Suede Steering Wheel and shifter - Red Calipers - Carbon Flash Wheels w black lug nuts - DD Tinted Side Markers - Hero Tinted Rear Reflectors - Redline Fender Badges - 20% Tint
Audio System Build Log
-----------------------------------------------------------
2014 Z/28 Summit White - sold 2020
2010 2SS/RS Summit White - sold 2014

Last edited by SWRocket; 06-01-2017 at 08:41 AM.
SWRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 08:37 AM   #717
John_C
LSx FTW!!!

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
Subscribing...
Kooks Jet Hot Headers
Kooks Full 3in exhaust
Trick Flow GenX 255's
Polished PAC .660's & Ti-retainers
TSP VVT 3.2 cam kit w/DoD Delete
Smith Bro's Trunnion kit
AEM X-Series OBDII Widebands
FIC ID1300x Injectors
GM ZL1 High Output Fuel Pump
DSX Tuning Flex Sensor
DSX Auxiliary Fuel System
Tim King Stage 4 Max Effort CTSV 6L90
DSS 1 piece aluminum driveshaft
JRE 6L80E / 6L90E Dipstick
NGK Iridium IX spark plugs #7 heat range
Mighty Mouse Camaro 5 Wild w/-12an and Billet Black
HP Tuners VCM Suite
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 08:42 AM   #718
Hopstar

Drives: 2010 camaro Ss
Did you watch the video in msg 715? I think they cover HUD wiring in there... I do Not have a HU so I can't really help you as I left 20% of the kit out ...my install works fine no issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWRocket View Post
A little confused with the radio connections coming out of the PAC.
The black, red and yellow wires all run into some kind of shrink wrapped circuit board, and then a single red wire comes out.
My HU needs all three wires (R,B,Y) connected though.
Nowhere in the instructions does it explain this circuit board or what to do with it...

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.
Hopstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 01:56 PM   #719
KingSmono

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
I'm thinking about installing the PAC kit with a new head unit in my 2011 2SS / RS and am starting do do my homework / research. I have the factory Boston Acoustic sound system but a few years ago I installed a 5-Channel amp (Alpine PDX-V9) to replace the factory amplifier, and I installed a 12" subwoofer as well (JL Audio 12W6v3-D4). Speakers and head unit are stock.

I would love to add an Android Auto compatible double din head unit with a rear backup camera, and possibly a front camera too. Thinking Pioneer AVIC-8200NEX or Kenwood DNX8935, or any recommendations for another head unit for the PAC kit that supports Android Auto and 1 or 2 cameras? What cameras do you recommend? I've seen the Pioneers for ~$80 each and Clarion for ~$70 each, and then cheap / Chinese cameras for $20 or less. I just want something that has quality video.

I watched the install video linked a few posts back (thanks for posting!) and am not sure if I want to tackle this project myself or pay a professional to do it. I received a quote for $550 and another for $600 for the installation. Does that sound reasonable / on par with what other people are paying? One install shop said they won't install the PAC anymore after previous experiences and attempted to sway me to the Scosche kit.

I am going through this giant thread now to see if some of my questions are answered in it, but I appreciate in advance any help you can provide to my questions!
KingSmono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 02:10 PM   #720
SWRocket

Drives: 2021 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopstar View Post
Did you watch the video in msg 715? I think they cover HUD wiring in there... I do Not have a HU so I can't really help you as I left 20% of the kit out ...my install works fine no issues
Yes, just finished that video. It's excellent. Thanks.
2021 2SS A10 - Summit White - NPP - MRC - Adrenaline Red Interior Pkg - Black Appearance Pkg - Ground Effect Pkg - Suede Steering Wheel and shifter - Red Calipers - Carbon Flash Wheels w black lug nuts - DD Tinted Side Markers - Hero Tinted Rear Reflectors - Redline Fender Badges - 20% Tint
Audio System Build Log
-----------------------------------------------------------
2014 Z/28 Summit White - sold 2020
2010 2SS/RS Summit White - sold 2014
SWRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 02:19 PM   #721
Hopstar

I gor the pioneer 8200 is a good unit.... if your mechanically and electronically savvy you would be ok to do it... but if your not good with that stuff pay for it

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingSmono View Post
I'm thinking about installing the PAC kit with a new head unit in my 2011 2SS / RS and am starting do do my homework / research. I have the factory Boston Acoustic sound system but a few years ago I installed a 5-Channel amp (Alpine PDX-V9) to replace the factory amplifier, and I installed a 12" subwoofer as well (JL Audio 12W6v3-D4). Speakers and head unit are stock.

I would love to add an Android Auto compatible double din head unit with a rear backup camera, and possibly a front camera too. Thinking Pioneer AVIC-8200NEX or Kenwood DNX8935, or any recommendations for another head unit for the PAC kit that supports Android Auto and 1 or 2 cameras? What cameras do you recommend? I've seen the Pioneers for ~$80 each and Clarion for ~$70 each, and then cheap / Chinese cameras for $20 or less. I just want something that has quality video.

I watched the install video linked a few posts back (thanks for posting!) and am not sure if I want to tackle this project myself or pay a professional to do it. I received a quote for $550 and another for $600 for the installation. Does that sound reasonable / on par with what other people are paying? One install shop said they won't install the PAC anymore after previous experiences and attempted to sway me to the Scosche kit.

I am going through this giant thread now to see if some of my questions are answered in it, but I appreciate in advance any help you can provide to my questions!
Old 06-01-2017, 06:24 PM   #722
Jyruiz

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Vert.
Quote:

Wow, that is a lot to pay for installation, I tackled it myself, it took me about 4 hours, but that is with installing a rear and front camera and custom HDMI/USB port inside the center console. I also solder all the wires, if you use T-connectors, you would save some time.
Jyruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 06:46 AM   #723
KingSmono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopstar View Post
I gor the pioneer 8200 is a good unit.... if your mechanically and electronically savvy you would be ok to do it... but if your not good with that stuff pay for it
I installed the Alpine amp + subwoofer + FARK harness, etc myself but the PAC kit head unit + camera job seems more involved.. I'm not sure if that is beyond my ability or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyruiz View Post
Wow, that is a lot to pay for installation, I tackled it myself, it took me about 4 hours, but that is with installing a rear and front camera and custom HDMI/USB port inside the center console. I also solder all the wires, if you use T-connectors, you would save some time.
What head unit / cameras did you go with?
Old 06-02-2017, 07:00 AM   #724
Hopstar

I got the pioneer 8200 nex avic... the cameras are just generic whatever looked good on amazon.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:11 AM   #725
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Quote:
... I received a quote for $550 and another for $600 for the installation. Does that sound reasonable / on par with what other people are paying? One install shop said they won't install the PAC anymore after previous experiences and attempted to sway me to the Scosche kit.
It's a 3hr install @ $100/hr. Nominal fee to install the PAC with a new head unit is $300-$350. Any shop charging more than this AND informing you "you will experience problems" tells me they have no interest in performing this job, amateurs, morons or all the above. I might cut them some slack if they are charging another $100 per camera, but I would never do business with an installer who tells you up front they have no clue what they are doing.

If I knew what area of the country you're in I could point you to a qualified installer.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:14 AM   #726
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyruiz View Post
... if you use T-connectors, you would save some time.
Initially, then you'll spend another 4hrs tearing apart your vehicle to repair them when they vibrate loose, corrode or snap off. Don't ever use taps in car audio.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:20 AM   #727
Hopstar

What he said.... plus any RCA connectors you have behind the head unit I highly recommend wrapping with electrical tape to prevent them from vibrating loose too.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:22 AM   #728
KingSmono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
It's a 3hr install @ $100/hr. Nominal fee to install the PAC with a new head unit is $300-$350. Any shop charging more than this AND informing you "you will experience problems" tells me they have no interest in performing this job, amateurs, morons or all the above. I might cut them some slack if they are charging another $100 per camera, but I would never do business with an installer who tells you up front they have no clue what they are doing.

If I knew what area of the country you're in I could point you to a qualified installer.
Thanks for the information! Will send you a PM.