Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Bigwormgraphix

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer
'22 GR86/BRZ 30 55.56%
Elantra N 24 44.44%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-10-2024, 10:21 PM   #29
Daily1LE

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Funny you point out these 2 cars. My friend just went thru this debating these very 2 cars a couple years ago. He ended up buying the Elantra N with the DTC. The biggest thing that swayed him was the engine issues on the GR86 due to RTV sealant clogging up the oil pickup tube causing many blown engines. I will say for the 35g he got it brand new for during a time where most dealers were putting Mark up on cars, the car is pretty nice. If you got the money I'd consider the Type R civic instead tho if you're looking for a 4 door 4 banger. It'll smoke both of these cars and comes fairly close to our 1LEs.
Old 02-23-2024, 11:43 AM   #30
funked1

Drives: '23 Hyundai Kona N, '24 VW GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by N Camarolina View Post
I'm surprised by your statement. How exactly is it more aggressive than a 1LE?
Mainly the suspension calibration. Ridiculously stiff on the track settings, and tuned so you get lift oversteer even on the street.
funked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 02:43 PM   #31
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by funked1 View Post
Mainly the suspension calibration. Ridiculously stiff on the track settings, and tuned so you get lift oversteer even on the street.
Ah. Probably to help it rotate better. Useful at the track but a bit much for DD, especially for those not ready/expecting it.

I didn't much think about it, but the 1LE won't really oversteer lift oversteer in a corner. The nose will tuck in, but the rear stays behind you. Aggressive trail braking will do it though. So in that respect, I guess you're right
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 05:37 PM   #32
Kamero6

Drives: 6th Gen LT1
it all depends on the money.

One of those cars loaded get dangerously close to a camaro/mustang V8, used at least. They aren't more reliable, and gas mileage if you plan on beating on them, it's not going to be that much less.

The miata is a classic and keeps the value. Plus the new one with the convertible hard top is nice. Make sure you fit in it. It's small.
Kamero6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 10:19 PM   #33
IndyZrider

Drives: 21 SHOCK ZL1 M6
Pick the car with the best aftermarket....imo both of those are blah ...not a fan of either of those manufacturers....the type r or vw golf r are both better rides...I'm partial to vw so the golf r gets my vote ...
IndyZrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 11:17 PM   #34
Daily1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamero6 View Post
it all depends on the money.

One of those cars loaded get dangerously close to a camaro/mustang V8, used at least. They aren't more reliable, and gas mileage if you plan on beating on them, it's not going to be that much less.

The miata is a classic and keeps the value. Plus the new one with the convertible hard top is nice. Make sure you fit in it. It's small.
May I ask which car you think gets dangerously close to a V8 Camaro or Mustang? Both of these MSRP new for under 34k.

And I must disagree on the gas mileage comment. I can't speak to the GR86, but my friends N averages over 50% better MPG than I do in my Camaro. Granted I run E85, but even without it, it's still not even close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyZrider View Post
Pick the car with the best aftermarket....imo both of those are blah ...not a fan of either of those manufacturers....the type r or vw golf r are both better rides...I'm partial to vw so the golf r gets my vote ...
While I agree, price has to be kept in mind. Both of the cars you listed are over 12-14k more sticker than the GR86 or the N. Not really fair to compare them even if they are in the same market.

Last edited by Daily1LE; 03-25-2024 at 11:44 PM.
Daily1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 01:59 PM   #35
Kamero6

Drives: 6th Gen LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daily1LE View Post
May I ask which car you think gets dangerously close to a V8 Camaro or Mustang? Both of these MSRP new for under 34k.

And I must disagree on the gas mileage comment. I can't speak to the GR86, but my friends N averages over 50% better MPG than I do in my Camaro. Granted I run E85, but even without it, it's still not even close.

While I agree, price has to be kept in mind. Both of the cars you listed are over 12-14k more sticker than the GR86 or the N. Not really fair to compare them even if they are in the same market.
You're right, a Mustang or Camaro is cheaper

2022 Volkswagen
Golf R
$46,998*13K mi

2021 Ford
Mustang GT
$37,998*3K mi

Just did a search at Carmax 10 seconds ago.

This are market numbers, my LT1 in theory could be purchased at MSRP at $37,995 or something close to that. That's one leather seat and 2 speakers away from $34k.

My old Jetta 2.5 did 25mpg in average. The LT1 does 22mpg. Almost 24mpg with the V4 mode activated.
Kamero6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 04:14 PM   #36
Malbjey

Drives: 2022 Kia Stinger GT2
If you're going to introduce used car pricing then it really isn't an apples to apples comparison. You may as well shop a used BRZ/GT86 versus a used V8 Mustang/Camaro if that's the case. The BRZ/GT86 is still going to be thousands cheaper.
Malbjey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 05:17 PM   #37
khcoaching

Drives: 2021 1SS 1LE
My son has now had his Elantra N 7 months and has around 8 trackdays with it. It is light years ahead of the GTI we had and for the mods we have on it, an incredible performance bargain. Mods are:

Girodic F/R rotors
Cobalt Pads
SS Brake lines
Swift springs
Engine/Transmission mounts
Intercooler.
18x8.5 wheel with various 245/40/18 tires.
Stock tune

He is the fastest Elantra N at The Ridge, Pacific Raceway and Thunderhill West. To be even close to his times in a GR86 would imo, require at least 10k more in mods (brakes, suspension) He recently drove his car from WA to Calif with all his tools and spare wheels in the back, getting 34mpg, crazy.

For reference, at The Ridge the car can lap within 4 seconds of my bone stock SS 1LE time and at Thill West, is only a couple of seconds off the new stock M2 and Mustang Dark Horse. (Road and Track times) For the $$, the Elantra N is hard to beat.

Ken
Old 03-26-2024, 07:14 PM   #38
Daily1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamero6 View Post
You're right, a Mustang or Camaro is cheaper

2022 Volkswagen
Golf R
$46,998*13K mi

2021 Ford
Mustang GT
$37,998*3K mi

Just did a search at Carmax 10 seconds ago.

This are market numbers, my LT1 in theory could be purchased at MSRP at $37,995 or something close to that. That's one leather seat and 2 speakers away from $34k.

My old Jetta 2.5 did 25mpg in average. The LT1 does 22mpg. Almost 24mpg with the V4 mode activated.
I thought we were talking about the Elantra N and the GR86. Both of these cars are cheaper. I am finding used N's for 30g. The Golf R and Type R are more expensive, I even said so commenting to the other person in my last post.

Not sure what your old Jetta has to do with the GR86 or the N, but these cars get significantly better MPG. As the last poster said, 30+ is not uncommon. My friend has managed over 30mpg in his N as well, so it's not just a fluke either. We just can't do that in our Camaros or even close. And that's okay, but let's not pretend our cars gas milage is "not much less", cause it is.
Old 03-27-2024, 06:24 AM   #39
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
i just bought a 23 brz for a daily. i definitely would not buy one with the intent to put it on a racetrack. its a cool car and checks the right boxes for a dd, but i think this platform has too many inherent issues to be *reasonably competitive.

i have no plans to mod this car, nor do i plan on putting it on a race track. it is a very cheap, basically new dd. i haven't hand calculated mileage yet but via the dash mine is averaging right at 30 mpg. i'm trying to at least get an oil change in before i commit to cleaning out the cats.

the car is def fun and geared (m6) to the moon. somehow it is more comfortable and ergonomic than a 6g camaro. i don't have to put my cell phone in the passenger seat and bump a water bottle with my elbow while im driving.
Old 03-27-2024, 02:32 PM   #40
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
i just bought a 23 brz for a daily. i definitely would not buy one with the intent to put it on a racetrack. its a cool car and checks the right boxes for a dd, but i think this platform has too many inherent issues to be *reasonably competitive.

i have no plans to mod this car, nor do i plan on putting it on a race track. it is a very cheap, basically new dd. i haven't hand calculated mileage yet but via the dash mine is averaging right at 30 mpg. i'm trying to at least get an oil change in before i commit to cleaning out the cats.

the car is def fun and geared (m6) to the moon. somehow it is more comfortable and ergonomic than a 6g camaro. i don't have to put my cell phone in the passenger seat and bump a water bottle with my elbow while im driving.
Congratulations! That’s quite a fun daily you have imo. I’ve been test driving different cars because I’ve had thoughts of replacing my 1le and have concluded that EVERY other reasonably priced car on the road has better ergonomics than the 6th gen Camaro. I used to think people were crazy for buying Mustangs when shopping in this price bracket but after sitting in multiple Mustangs the past few weeks I get it now. I get if someone doesn’t want to put their phone on the passenger seat. I get if someone wants an easier view out of the car and I get wanting a more usable trunk and storage space in the car.

Prior:
2016 Camaro 1SS
2007 Mustang GT
2008 Civic Si
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 01:02 PM   #41
Malbjey

Drives: 2022 Kia Stinger GT2
You guys really need to consider a seat gap pocket/filler if you need somewhere to put your cell phone. I used one when I had my Camaro and it was awesome. Here's an example:

https://www.amazon.com/Owntow-Univer...1zcF9tdGY&th=1

Malbjey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 12:13 PM   #42
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
i just bought a 23 brz for a daily...
return comment on this car.

fuel mileage is now hovering around 35 mpg. the only negative i have for the brz is road noise, but i think some of that is the ps4 tires. very raw driving experience with a high strung na 4 cyl, 1:1 5th gear, 25" tire and 390 rear gear. i bought a regular limited m6 car, all it needs imho is brakes and a shifter. i have the shifter already (not installed). still looking at brake upgrades.

i would pick a camaro every time for a fun car that isnt a dd. brz for the daily hands down.

driving this 2800 lb go kart around really motivates me to finish the c4.

edit: once i get the oil changed i'll make some dragy pulls. i'm guessing low 14s @ 100ish. funny to think my stock 2000 a4 camaro ran 14.0 @ 101 like a xerox machine