The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Member's Lounge > Off-Topic Chat

Old 03-14-2013, 01:39 PM   #29
Oldag

Drives: 2013 2SS Convertible, LS3
Austria is close to Germany. Seem to recall my Austrian taxi driver driving on the sidewalk one time...

In Texas, you are generally good for limit + 5 mph. Depending on if the officer is up to his quota, could be limit + 10 to 15. I have driven in 47 states and never been pulled over while staying within 5 mph of the limit.

Sadly, I have never seen or heard of anyone ticketed for going slow in the left lane until this new story. Wish it would happen far more often. If someone wants to drive slow, great. Just do it in the right lane.

Certainly enjoying the increased speed limits of the past few years in Texas. 80 mph on I-10 in west Texas helps. Many others going up to 75 mph.
Oldag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:41 PM   #30
Frank in MD
Raining Blood

Drives: 2014 SS Performance Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaytalsCamaro View Post
So I was looking through Yahoo news story and came across this particular story that got me thinking...

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow...211957738.html

In a nutshell a lady gets a ticket for going 2 MPH under the speed limit in the left hand lane. 63 in a 65 to be exact. The wording in the citation read "FAILURE OF DRIVER DRIVING BELOW SPEED LIMIT 63 IN A 65 TO KEEP RIGHT."

To be completely honest I'm kinda glad she got the ticket. Nothing bothers me more then a slow person in the left hand lane. But then i got to thinking. If going 63 in a 65 is too slow...I mean only 2 mph difference from the POSTED speed Limit which I'm pretty sure there is a reason its called the law. Is there a rule of thumb of how high OVER the speed limit you can go in the passing lane? 5 over? 10 over?
She should have been ticketed for impeding traffic. The left lane isn't the "fast lane". it's for overtaking and passing. After you complete your pass you're supposed to get out of the left lane when able to do so safely. That's what give way to the right means. It's the law and she was justly ticketed. Now if the local police would ticket for driving w/ brights on....

2014 SS Performance Sedan #2974 - Red Hot 2 - S/R. & Spare. Built 01/09/14 #238 of 291 as configured
Frank in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:02 PM   #31
bdrobLS3

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SSRS Manual Coupe
Send a message via AIM to bdrobLS3
Trust me if you think American drivers are bad, you need to see some countries that make American drivers look like super stars. I challenge you to see what driving in Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, France and Italy or even Mexico is really like. Those are just a few off the top f my head that I have had experience with. Qatar was another crazy one but I blame that on the lack of traffic markers, road signs or LEO's... LOL
bdrobLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:03 PM   #32
C586
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by swizlstik View Post
I'd be getting tickets all the time then. I never ride in the right lane, always the left.
Why?? Are you one of those people that wish they where a cop but aren't so you just block the fast lane??
C586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:23 PM   #33
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
In Pa it is illegal to drive in the left lane of a highway unless you are passing. It is also illegal to stay in the right lane if someone is pulled off the shoulder of the road on the right. You must move over if you can. Example: A cop has someone pulled over or someone is changing a flat.

And sadly, very few do either.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:49 PM   #34
Oldag

Drives: 2013 2SS Convertible, LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by C586 View Post
Why?? Are you one of those people that wish they where a cop but aren't so you just block the fast lane??
Maybe it is because he is driving faster than everyone else...
Oldag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:07 PM   #35
EB&D

Drives: '10 CGM SS/RS
In these parts it's known as "Failure to Keep Right" and it's a ticket that should be handed out WAY more often!!
Old 03-14-2013, 04:28 PM   #36
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
This bimbo did not get a "speeding" ticket for going too slow. She was cited for being in the wrong damn lane for the speed she had decided that she, and everybody else would be doing (have you noticed that a SPEEDING driver does not force anybody else's speed, but a SLOW driver forces everybody else behind them to adjust to the speed that THEY have selected?). The lane hog should get a ticket, if just to emphasize the fact that seems to escape so many: Left lane for passing, right lane for ANY f'n speed you like... without pissing anybody off! Such a simple concept, but plenty of people out there willing to reveal their IQs to everybody else by plodding along in the wrong damn lane.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:33 PM   #37
Valkyrja
Shieldmaiden

Drives: 2014 Summit White 2LT/RS
Spend time in Israel or Bangkok. You will have a lot more patience for American drivers.
Valkyrja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:36 PM   #38
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by strych9 View Post
Americans exhibit zero lane discipline. We need tough laws like Germany has regarding motorist laws. It costs like $1200US to even GET a license there, and they have cameras everywhere. If you idle in the wrong lane, fail to signal, etc, you get a HUGE fine. As it should be.

Fat, lazy, clueless American drivers. It's maddening. And I'm an American.
I am not one of the politically correct America bashers, the ones who are always trying to prove how open- minded and progressive they are with a hang- dog confession about some failure of 'Murica. However, your statement about the German vs. American drivers is spot on. I LOVED the German drivers... driving there is utterly blissful, mostly because they grasp the concept of left to pass, right to drive. It was an utter embarrassment to see on the Autobahn, that a HUGE percentage of the traffic problems--- ie, some pig in the left lane, holding up traffic, and not getting the hell to the right--- had AMERICAN plates. Made me want to hide my colors. The Germans don't do that... but, in spite of the fact that well under 1% of the vehicles on the Autobahn were American- plated, easily 50% of the problems were caused by American- plated cars. Wouldn't surprise me all that much to learn that the OTHER 50% of crappy drivers with Euro- plated cars were still from this side of the pond. I love my country... but the piss- poor drivers we've got sure look stupid on the Autobahn.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:39 PM   #39
Dznts
Anabolic Connoisseur

Drives: Sold - Blown Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by strych9 View Post
Americans exhibit zero lane discipline. We need tough laws like Germany has regarding motorist laws. It costs like $1200US to even GET a license there, and they have cameras everywhere. If you idle in the wrong lane, fail to signal, etc, you get a HUGE fine. As it should be.

Fat, lazy, clueless American drivers. It's maddening. And I'm an American.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:19 PM   #40
rush2112

Drives: 2013 2LT Auto CRM. 2009 night train
KEEP RIGHT EXCEPT TO PASS. It is that simple, but most just dont get it, even the cops
rush2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:10 PM   #41
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeSS View Post

I highly doubt that being a fat, lazy, clueless American driver has anything to do with bad driving. It's common human nature exhibited anywhere. Not just here. It's called lack of common sense, ignorance, and inconsideration.
Yeah, but it's getting worse! Decades ago, when I started driving, people were much more considerate and generally obeyed the rules of the road. "Keep right except to pass" was actually adhered to by most every driver. Today... "to hell with YOU - I'm driving the way I want to" is the general rule, not the exception.

I wish everyone that made me pass on the right because they were blocking faster traffic in the left lane, would get a $1,000 ticket every time they did it.

Sorry swizlstick, but this includes you. You are not only being inconsiderate, but you are also a hazard on the highway and should be removed until you learn how to drive.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:18 PM   #42
BloodRain
Account Suspended

Drives: 1LE
Camaro's high beams work well for lane hogs. Give em a light show.
BloodRain is offline   Reply With Quote