Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 05-04-2012, 07:27 PM   #1
zkdreads

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS V6
is this for real...android double din dvd player O_o

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-2012-Ch...ht_4679wt_1401

metra kit with and "android" dvd/cd/am,fm radio double din
zkdreads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:10 PM   #2
rray

Drives: 2013 GAZ 2SS/RS
Exclamation

Yes, I have had mine installed for 2 months now.

The CD/DVD sound quality is very good, but A2DP, SD Card audio, and USB are lesser but still ok. Play an MP3 burned on a CD and it sounds fantastic, but only so so from the android player. I don't know why. The workaround is to set the bass mid and treble settings to 0. It's Android 2.2 and don't fully support DSP control like Android 2.3 does. I keep asking Otto Navi, the distributor, for updated firmware but they say the manufacturer has not provided any yet.

Navigation works good, however it's either navigation or music, but not both unless you use google maps and tether your phone. Google maps will utilize the built in GPS, so that proves this is a full Android device, and not just a Windows CE back end with Android front end like most of the other Android head units out there.

Steering wheel controls work, but take up to a full second to respond, but when using for volume control, it's not noticeable, just switching songs.

The radio sounds great, but be sure to buy an amplified antenna adapter, like the VW style.

It has front and rear stereo outs, but only 1 sub out, so I used a Y for my sub amp. The internal amp sounds like crap. Good amps and speakers are a must.

You can stream music just fine if you tether your phone, or use Bluetooth A2DP to stream music from your phone, but the volume level is a bit lower that from the head unit itself.

You can stream netflix, even when driving, but using the DVD or playing movies off USB or SD card has proper safety protocols of requiring the parking brake to be set before you can see video.

It supports an backup camera when in reverse, but I don't have one yet. It also supports 2 AUX AV inputs from other devices, but I don't know what you would want to use with it.

I installed Torque free, but I am waiting for a bluetooth OBDII reader to test it with. I paired the bluetooth with my headphones as a test, so I know you can pair the bluetooth with stuff other than just your phone. I just used the settings/wireless & network/ to pair, where I used their launcher BT app to pair with my phone.

Phone works great with it, I am using a Thunderbolt 4G.

The head unit is setup to do everything iPod but I am anti i culture, so never tried any of that stuff.

I plugged a 4 port USB hub into the back cable, then plugged a USB wireless N adapter in, as well as a memory stick at the same time, and they both worked fine.

The wiring was a bitch, with about 100 wires, but I retained full Onstar compatibility, and to tell the truth, I like the Onstar navigation better because I don't have to take my eyes off the road, and when using the Onstar Remotelink app, I just speak into my phone where I want to go, and it sends directions to the car waiting for me.

All in all, it's a great setup for a car, but it's not audiophile quality sound like I had hoped. If the manufacturer updated the unit to Android 4.0, you will be able to purchase an USB DAC and output real audiophile quality sound, intercepted from the digital domain and sent straight to your amp.

If it don't get updated by the end of this year, I'll replace the unit with a windows 7 carputer, using a Centrafuse front end.

By the way, it's an Adayo Foryou AN6B01 head unit which is identical to the Rydeen DV621. Few people have these yet, as they are supposed to be a 2013 model.

-Robert
rray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:06 PM   #3
jeffa

Drives: 2014 2LT/RS Ashen Gray Metallic
The reason you don't see may Android based units right now is that:
1. they have the issues that you have stated
2. They are not as stable as a WIN CE based unit
3. They are VERY expensive for what they offer, especially lacking in audio quality
jeffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:00 AM   #4
CrutchfieldBrooke

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 1968 Camaro
In the future, you will likely see more manufacturers catering to Android users as their operating systems become more standardized. Some of the new Pioneer models that were just released for this year will work with Android phones more so than they have in the past. For example, the AppRadio 2 from them will work with a limited number of Android phones. Also the two new Pioneer navigation models (AVIC-Z140BH and AVIC-X940BT) will work with a couple of apps from Android phones.
CrutchfieldBrooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:27 AM   #5
rray

An update on this Android based head unit:

I had a firmware crash last weekend, and contacted the seller, who promptly sent an updated firmware version.

This firmware really improved the sound quality of the unit, and now all sources sound the same, including bluetooth audio streamed from my phone.

I am also able to purchase apps from google play (market), and installed winamp pro successfully. The 10 band EQ in winamp actually works good, and allows me to play with the sound a bit more.

All the apps are updated, and I was able to install my own launcher, then fully customize the desktops the way I wanted them. So far no crashes, and everything works good.

-Robert
rray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:15 PM   #6
ROCNDAV

Drives: 2013 2SSRS, 2002 SS Convertible,
Quote:
Originally Posted by rray View Post
Yes, I have had mine installed for 2 months now.

Steering wheel controls work, but take up to a full second to respond, but when using for volume control, it's not noticeable, just switching songs.

-Robert
Robert, how did you hook up your steering wheel controls?

I'm trying to hook my android stereo to my 4th Gen Camaro, but nothing happens.

I'm not sure if it requires programming of the buttons.

I'm not sure how to do that either.

If I go to the steering wheel controls app, it takes me to a grid of possible controls. I've tried pressing the steering wheel control and pressing the button on screen at the same time and one before the other without any difference.

Any idea?

Thanks
ROCNDAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:30 PM   #7
rray

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCNDAV View Post
Robert, how did you hook up your steering wheel controls?
On that Android radio I had to program the Metra interface. You turn on ignition key, then press and hold the volume up button for 30 seconds, then press the down button 7 times, for a type 7 radio.

As it turned out, I only had that radio installed several months then one of the USB ports burned out. It was a hassle, and it took too long until music was playing, so I pulled it.

Now I'm on a Windows 7 based radio instead of Android. I bought a USB steering wheel interface, and had to configure the Metra interface to type 6 radio to work.