Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 09-08-2018, 05:06 PM   #1
apexit53

Drives: 22 1SS 1LE Summit White
2018 Solo Nats(video)

Here is my video from this weeks event. I was able to hold on to 2nd in FS both days but watching these videos I don't know how. Maybe cause I know my driving style to me it just doesn't look like myself but maybe thats the pressure of nats? lol.

Either way it was a decent event for FS. No real rain to speak of, similar conditions for all of us(sort of)

Day 1 my fast run was my last, wasn't as smooth but I decided to just try and send it, see if I could get closer to cashmore. Gained .1 over my second run so didn't gain a whole lot but did put me a little under .3 in front of 3rd.

Day 2 It was misting a little before we got up to the line so I made the decision to get a semi quick clean safe run in thinking it might end up raining. Sadly it didn't but I still had 2nd going into my last run. Went out on my last run and managed to get 4 cones... somehow but ended up with a 60.010 raw time so I'm content with that.

Cant wait to see what happens next year!
#53 F Street
2022 Sponsor autocrossdigits.com
Autocrossing Videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm-...3tiMt0KOg_2Aag
Instagram: apexit_53
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE
2019 D Street national champion (2019 civic Type R)
apexit53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 05:15 PM   #2
dontlifttoshift

Drives: 71 Camaro '18 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit53 View Post

Either way it was a decent event for FS. No real rain to speak of, similar conditions for all of us(sort of)
I loled at the bolded.

Nice job! You know as well as anyone what it takes to catch Jeff.....it could be a full time job.

Last edited by dontlifttoshift; 09-08-2018 at 08:17 PM. Reason: clarification
dontlifttoshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 07:48 PM   #3
EWard

Drives: 2019 Camaro RBM M6 LTG 1LS
Mike,

Great job at nationals championship! As a fellow autocross'er at the local level, I have so much respect for your accomplishments in Lincoln.
EWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 08:54 PM   #4
apexit53

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlifttoshift View Post
I loled at the bolded.

Nice job! You know as well as anyone what it takes to catch Jeff.....it could be a full time job.
it really is. I was a little disappointed after day one. So far this year he has only been a full second faster than me at one event and thats cause he got dryer runs in the afternoon. Going in was confident but I got slapped into place quick lol.

still fun and thank you everyone for the support!
#53 F Street
Autocrossing Videos
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE
Old 09-09-2018, 12:52 PM   #5
NickyRacerBoy

Drives: 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit53 View Post

Here is my video from this weeks event. I was able to hold on to 2nd in FS both days but watching these videos I don't know how. Maybe cause I know my driving style to me it just doesn't look like myself but maybe thats the pressure of nats? lol.

Day 1 my fast run was my last, wasn't as smooth but I decided to just try and send it, see if I could get closer to cashmore. Gained .1 over my second run so didn't gain a whole lot but did put me a little under .3 in front of 3rd.

Day 2 It was misting a little before we got up to the line so I made the decision to get a semi quick clean safe run in thinking it might end up raining. Sadly it didn't but I still had 2nd going into my last run. Went out on my last run and managed to get 4 cones... somehow but ended up with a 60.010 raw time so I'm content with that.

Cant wait to see what happens next year!

Nice driving. Looks like your attacking the course to me!
I never done any autoXing although come to think of it there is a course setup close to my home. I do roadracing but am down for anything as long as it has turns! Straightline is not my bag.

BTW Can you show pic of your camera mounting setup?
NickyRacerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 03:04 PM   #6
apexit53

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyRacerBoy View Post
Nice driving. Looks like your attacking the course to me!
I never done any autoXing although come to think of it there is a course setup close to my home. I do roadracing but am down for anything as long as it has turns! Straightline is not my bag.

BTW Can you show pic of your camera mounting setup?
This is the mount!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
#53 F Street
Autocrossing Videos
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE
Old 09-09-2018, 08:36 PM   #7
NickyRacerBoy

Drives: 1LE
Thanks...sold out..dam
NickyRacerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 09:26 PM   #8
clyde

Drives: broken
Some D Street video

East:

West:

D Street ran the east course second heat Tuesday and, I think, experienced the heaviest of the rain. I knew we were screwed on tires, so I was experimenting a bit running with all the nannies on first run, off second run, and planned on running what felt best third and hope for the best. I DNFed the first run between the second and third eyebrows when the car just wouldn't turn back to the left at all. I wasn't very aggressive on my second run (the video) and couldn't turn it on for my third run.

Pretty sure all of the Camaros were on 275 RE71Rs and they couldn't move any water. The other D Street cars were on much skinnier rubber and some of them on Contis. If I keep the car and run DS again next year, I'm going to put some skinnyish Contis on the OE wheels, which will have me bringing THREE sets of STREET tires to Lincoln.

Wednesday went much better, but started on a stressful note. My first run was timed as a 73.xxx, which I knew was very wrong when almost everyone else had run 63s-65s. Shortening a long story, I was given a rerun and everything worked out, but it was not the way I would have liked to start the day. The video is of my third scored run, a 63.538. It started misting right before my run and the course felt slicker than on the earlier runs, but not wet. It was going well until I got into the finish slalom tight, got late, couldn't catch up, and hit the brakes to keep from taking out the finish cones. Even with that, though, it may be the best run I've had at Nationals since 2005. Maybe ever. It was teh 10th fast time of the day and about 1.2 behind Finch's DS best time on the west course.

Also want to thank Mark Scroggs for his advice and support all year, Neil Britton for swapping his Focus ST for his Camaro the same day I did the same and keeping our competition going for another year, the Steaks for pushing Kevin and me locally and keeping us honest.

Anyway, thought I'd share.
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 07:51 AM   #9
apexit53

The only thing that sucks about continentals is if you win, you loose contingency money from BFG or bridgestone! Lame. If that was a concern you could find some skinny bridgtstones or bfg, whatever tire you run but the Conti Extreme sport contact is the best wet tire right now.
#53 F Street
Autocrossing Videos
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE
Old 09-10-2018, 10:13 AM   #10
Cito

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
I wonder whether those Bridgestone S007A's will be a decent alternative in the wet?

I watched most of DS both days. The conditions on Tuesday were horrible when you guys ran. Normally, I would expect the WRX's to do well in the rain, but most of them had problems. It definitely seemed like times were correlated to tire width with faster times being associated with thinner width. The twins fared pretty well in the water on Tuesday, but the Camaros and WRX's seemed to, in general, smoke the twins on Day 2.
Cito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 12:41 PM   #11
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito View Post
I wonder whether those Bridgestone S007A's will be a decent alternative in the wet?

I watched most of DS both days. The conditions on Tuesday were horrible when you guys ran. Normally, I would expect the WRX's to do well in the rain, but most of them had problems. It definitely seemed like times were correlated to tire width with faster times being associated with thinner width. The twins fared pretty well in the water on Tuesday, but the Camaros and WRX's seemed to, in general, smoke the twins on Day 2.
Could be. I did talk to the Bridgestone guys while I was at Nats about the S007A specifically. Mainly as an endurance track tire for Lemons/Chump. I was told that the S007A really is a replacement for the RE-11/A. I guess they weren't really intending it to be a tire of that caliber, but it ended up just developing to that level. I didn't ask, specifically, about wet capability, but the guys there did tell me that it is better than the RE71R in the wet by quite a bit, with the Firestone Indy 500 being better than the S007A.

Looking at the tire's tread design, it is likely pretty close to the MP4S and Conti ECS as a wet tire. It likely would have been "enough" in the wet to drop a decent time... I've had my fair share of competitive rain driving this past year - although the ECS is the wet tire to have, with the MP4S right behind, if you at least have a tire that is good with deal with standing water, you can manage to do pretty well. If you also look at what the CAM-C Turbo 1LE the GM team had on their car for wets (OEM GY Eagle AS3), it will indicate the same.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 05:40 PM   #12
slvrsrpnt

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Runs are great.
Looking forward to our next event at the end of the month
slvrsrpnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 09:43 PM   #13
race2win

Drives: 1LT 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Some D Street video

East:

West:

D Street ran the east course second heat Tuesday and, I think, experienced the heaviest of the rain. I knew we were screwed on tires, so I was experimenting a bit running with all the nannies on first run, off second run, and planned on running what felt best third and hope for the best. I DNFed the first run between the second and third eyebrows when the car just wouldn't turn back to the left at all. I wasn't very aggressive on my second run (the video) and couldn't turn it on for my third run.

Pretty sure all of the Camaros were on 275 RE71Rs and they couldn't move any water. The other D Street cars were on much skinnier rubber and some of them on Contis. If I keep the car and run DS again next year, I'm going to put some skinnyish Contis on the OE wheels, which will have me bringing THREE sets of STREET tires to Lincoln.

Wednesday went much better, but started on a stressful note. My first run was timed as a 73.xxx, which I knew was very wrong when almost everyone else had run 63s-65s. Shortening a long story, I was given a rerun and everything worked out, but it was not the way I would have liked to start the day. The video is of my third scored run, a 63.538. It started misting right before my run and the course felt slicker than on the earlier runs, but not wet. It was going well until I got into the finish slalom tight, got late, couldn't catch up, and hit the brakes to keep from taking out the finish cones. Even with that, though, it may be the best run I've had at Nationals since 2005. Maybe ever. It was teh 10th fast time of the day and about 1.2 behind Finch's DS best time on the west course.

Also want to thank Mark Scroggs for his advice and support all year, Neil Britton for swapping his Focus ST for his Camaro the same day I did the same and keeping our competition going for another year, the Steaks for pushing Kevin and me locally and keeping us honest.

Anyway, thought I'd share.
You are very welcome Clyde, glad to have you, Neil and others in the class! I haven't given in to car-A.D.D and plan to bring the Camaro back for at least one more season, shocks and a bar are in the works so more info sharing to come!

In regards to tires...yes the Camaro drivers were outgunned Tuesday no doubt. I am talking with Bridgestone and the plan is to test S007A's this winter, likely in a very skinny size with tall-ish sidewalls I have that tire on my DD VW, so far so good...but it's not an autocross car More to come, stay tuned...

Mike...GREAT runs!
SCCA D-Street #49/149
stranoparts.com
Bridgestone Tires
race2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 08:47 AM   #14
apexit53

Quote:
Originally Posted by race2win View Post
You are very welcome Clyde, glad to have you, Neil and others in the class! I haven't given in to car-A.D.D and plan to bring the Camaro back for at least one more season, shocks and a bar are in the works so more info sharing to come!

In regards to tires...yes the Camaro drivers were outgunned Tuesday no doubt. I am talking with Bridgestone and the plan is to test S007A's this winter,

Mike...GREAT runs!
you dont know what winter is! lol I looked into that for next year as well, what tire bridstone makes that could be decent in the wet. I know I would hate to loose my money because when it rained i decided to be on a better wet tire that wasnt their tire.

And thank you!
#53 F Street
Autocrossing Videos
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE